FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Free Upgrade (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1984866-free-upgrade.html)

djtriggz Aug 28, 2019 7:05 am

Free Upgrade

I would like to report here about a free Upgrade I got on QR to business on a DOH-LHR leg.

I booked a NBO-LHR about 4 hours before the flight was to depart, without checking I had a 17hr 25 layover. When I arrived at DOH i went to the sales desk in transfers to see if I could be moved to a earlier flight. I was told the next flight could be done for $500 and the one after that for $35 so I went with the $35 option. I paid the $35 but the gentleman actually got me into the next flight the one that would of cost $500! So already happy I walked to the gate and checked in, my name and another gentleman’s name who was a QR gold was called back to the gate with new boarding passes and the grey strip along the top side of the ticket.!!! :)

I have no status with QR but I am Silver with BA and I have done a lot of QR flights posting to my BA card. This has been my first free upgrade and what a upgrade it was. A380 back to Heathrow with the bar :)

Thanks QR

Richard Bell Aug 28, 2019 7:24 pm

Congratulations, I've only scored the one free-upgrade, the next flight after hitting QR-Silver.

It certainly shows you another level of lifestyle !

Nothing yet, after upgrading from QR-Silver to QR-Gold, unfortunately

Wish I didn't travel on my own money, so Economy it is !

orbitmic Aug 28, 2019 11:08 pm

I'm GGL with BA and have never had a long haul upgrade with my "Home" airline, but I have also had an upgrade on QR, and on a Q Suite overnight flight too! I was very happy indeed!

salehir Aug 29, 2019 1:43 am

I've also had an upgrade DOH-LHR as Y was full.. although this was a proactive gesture by the lounge agent. I had gone to upgrade me and mrs with qmiles and that's when he said he could do mine for free

djtriggz Aug 29, 2019 12:26 pm

nice!!! Yeah me too ive never had a free upgrade with me "home" airline

ashbjr Sep 1, 2019 12:08 am

Very interesting. I have been QR Plat for over 5 years and have only had one upgrade in over 100 sectors flown, the only one being on a short KTM-DOH leg, though luckily while flying with my father. I have had several upgrades on other OW airlines though (CX, AY, MH) in far fewer sectors owing to my OWE status, which again is interesting considering that your "home" airline is presumably supposed to take care of you the best. On the flip side, I know of cases where friends/acquaintances with no status or Silver being upgraded routinely, even on sectors that are traditionally known not to have overbooked Y. So I suppose there is no method to this madness.

ph-ndr Sep 1, 2019 6:38 am

Originally Posted by ashbjr (Post 31478410)
Very interesting. I have been QR Plat for over 5 years and have only had one upgrade in over 100 sectors flown, the only one being on a short KTM-DOH leg, though luckily while flying with my father. I have had several upgrades on other OW airlines though (CX, AY, MH) in far fewer sectors owing to my OWE status, which again is interesting considering that your "home" airline is presumably supposed to take care of you the best. On the flip side, I know of cases where friends/acquaintances with no status or Silver being upgraded routinely, even on sectors that are traditionally known not to have overbooked Y. So I suppose there is no method to this madness.

I usually don't get much chance for upgrading, as I'm mostly in J already. A friend of mine has started taking up a habit of a week away every month due to work, and has consistently scored one or more segments opup'ed for months now.

-A

subject2load Sep 1, 2019 7:17 pm

I was grateful for an A380 op-up from J to F on the lengthy sector PER-DOH, back in May of this year,

The J cabin was apparently overbooked, and there was a nice F b/pass already printed and waiting for me at PER check-in counter. I can only assume that I had been pre-selected for the move on the grounds of my OWE status (and perhaps lucky (?) that there were - presumably - no QRPC elites outranking me on the day).

The aircraft went out totally full, save for one empty seat in F, making just seven pax, including myself, in the cabin.

i thought the bed was probably the most comfortable I have experienced. Catering was excellent, as to be expected on QR. I suppose if I really, really wanted to pick fault it would be the fact that there is perhaps less of a gap between J and F on Qatar than experienced on various other carriers. But of course this perspective is largely a clear reflection of the outstanding quality standards set by QR for their J class product, in terms of service levels and overall comfort.

Dr. HFH Sep 2, 2019 1:36 am

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 31480769)
Catering was excellent, as to be expected on QR. I suppose if I really, really wanted to pick fault it would be the fact that there is perhaps less of a gap between J and F on Qatar than experienced on various other carriers. But of course this perspective is largely a clear reflection of the outstanding quality standards set by QR for their J class product, in terms of service levels and overall comfort.

I agree with everything you've said here. I, too, have flown F several times between SYD and DOH.

Kwanger Sep 4, 2019 1:38 am

Originally Posted by salehir (Post 31468957)
I've also had an upgrade DOH-LHR as Y was full.. although this was a proactive gesture by the lounge agent. I had gone to upgrade me and mrs with qmiles and that's when he said he could do mine for free

Nice, had something similar myself on a CRK-DOH flight. At check-in, I asked if I could use my miles to upgrade and was told no need, the flight was overbooked and I'd been upgraded anyway. Was QR Gold at the time.

Tulene Sep 4, 2019 10:26 pm

I'm travelling on my birthday (next month) Chances of a free upgrade? DOH-BUD. :p

duvin Sep 4, 2019 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Tulene (Post 31491941)
I'm travelling on my birthday (next month) Chances of a free upgrade? DOH-BUD. :p

Without status? Zero