Domestic Transfer at Miami Intl Airport

Old Aug 22, 19, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Domestic Transfer at Miami Intl Airport

I'm travelling back to US.

Doha to Miami and then I've 5 hrs of layover at Miami for my next flight which is from Miami to BHM (American Airlines).

I believe I'll have to collect my baggage at Miami after Immigration is done and then take them somewhere for my next flight.

If anyone has traveled via this route could you tell me :

1) Which terminal Qatar airways would arrive?
2) Which terminal AA would depart from?
2) If the terminal for AA is different than Qatar, do I need to carry my two checked in bags with me to another terminal?

Since I've 5 hrs layover at Miami I think I should not be worried about the time.

Thanks
Old Aug 22, 19, 8:06 am

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
1)-Qatar is at the North Terminal - area E, which is American terminal together with North-D, and they are connected air-side and one adjacent to the other
2)-again, can be D or E depending on the flight, but they are connected
3)-You have to clear immigration, get you bags and follow signs to connection and drop the bags there. Short walk, pretty straightforward, and employees always there to direct.
If you don't have access to lounges, terminal D has plenty of restaurants and shops to pass your time.

Enjoy
Old Aug 22, 19, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming that this is on one ticket, your bags should be checked through at DOH to BHM You will claim them just prior to the Customs portion of CBP and then drop them CBP, but will not even need to stand around for recheck. On the off-chance that the bags cannot be tagged through to BHM, you will need to wait a few minutes at recheck. No need to drag the bags off to AA's check-in anywhere.
Old Aug 22, 19, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Presuming that this is on one ticket, your bags should be checked through at DOH to BHM You will claim them just prior to the Customs portion of CBP and then drop them CBP, but will not even need to stand around for recheck. On the off-chance that the bags cannot be tagged through to BHM, you will need to wait a few minutes at recheck. No need to drag the bags off to AA's check-in anywhere.
Thank you for your response. This is one ticket till BHM. That's how I think I have done two times at DFW while traveling from DOH to BHM via DFW. I collected my bags after immigration, then joined the line for CBP along with my bags and then as soon as I went past the CBP officer, there was sign for Domestic transfer and then I left my bags with the airport staff. They were putting those bags on the conveyor belt which was right next to them.I believe this is what you were trying to explain.

I had to go through security check again at DFW at that time before entering the gate area. Do you know if it's the same at Miami as well?
Old Aug 22, 19, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by afmiami View Post
1)-Qatar is at the North Terminal - area E, which is American terminal together with North-D, and they are connected air-side and one adjacent to the other
2)-again, can be D or E depending on the flight, but they are connected
3)-You have to clear immigration, get you bags and follow signs to connection and drop the bags there. Short walk, pretty straightforward, and employees always there to direct.
If you don't have access to lounges, terminal D has plenty of restaurants and shops to pass your time.

Enjoy
Thanks very much. No access to lounges so I guess I would have to spend time around restaurants and shops at terminal D.
Old Aug 22, 19, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Jack_Tauson_Sr View Post
Thank you for your response. This is one ticket till BHM. That's how I think I have done two times at DFW while traveling from DOH to BHM via DFW. I collected my bags after immigration, then joined the line for CBP along with my bags and then as soon as I went past the CBP officer, there was sign for Domestic transfer and then I left my bags with the airport staff. They were putting those bags on the conveyor belt which was right next to them.I believe this is what you were trying to explain.

I had to go through security check again at DFW at that time before entering the gate area. Do you know if it's the same at Miami as well?
Yes, you will always go through a checkpoint after CBP.
Old Aug 24, 19, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
There is an American Express Centurion lounge near D10 if you have a Platinum card (or Centurion). If you have OWSapphire or Emerald status you have access to the Flagship lounge, the OW/BA lounge in E, or any of the Admiral Clubs.
Old Aug 24, 19, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
There is an American Express Centurion lounge near D10 if you have a Platinum card (or Centurion). If you have OWSapphire or Emerald status you have access to the Flagship lounge, the OW/BA lounge in E, or any of the Admiral Clubs.
Thanks very much. Not a member of any of those cards. My gate number is D60 so sitting near that(upstairs). D60 is downstairs for some reason and itís crowded.
Old Aug 24, 19, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Yes, you will always go through a checkpoint after CBP.
Surprisingly we were not given CBP form to declare items in the flight before landing and no one was checking this after I collected my baggage and dropped it off at the Bag drop counter of AA.

Iím wondering if they stopped checking CBP form at MIA?

Collecting baggage and dropping it off was very easy process at DFW. In MIA, itís very crowded. At DFW, they did check Customs form though.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: