FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Child Restraint Device Qsuites (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1983670-child-restraint-device-qsuites.html)

sevastras Aug 19, 2019 4:09 pm

Child Restraint Device Qsuites

My child will have just turned 2 for our December flights LAX-DOH-SIN and have booked the 4 person section in Qsuites. I am curious if any one knows if we can request a CRD for just take off and landing or if you request one, it must be attached to the seat the entire flight. My thought is once we are up to cruising, she can get out of it and hangout like a normal person(barring turbulence and what not). If not, I guess my other option would be to condition her to sitting with a seat belt on. Mother and daughter would be rear facing, if that matters. Thank you for any insight!

225SG Aug 20, 2019 2:11 am

Mine are way passed that stage but be aware helping a child over the front facing pair is a bit of a mission if you have to reach into their storage bin etc! I would put the child that needs the most help in the closer together rear facing.

KU104 Aug 20, 2019 2:26 am

Yes, you can request it for takeoff only just get the attention if the crew. We just got back from a trip and my child was in Y while we were in J. Call QR call center and request the CRD early to guarantee its onbord and confirm it on checkin. On boarding let the CSM know at the door that you are the CRD passenger and which seat number you want it on. They will bring it to your seat and install it. Its an easy install with the seats seatbelt going through the back of it. Its similar to a booster seat with car seat harnesses and an alloy type frame. Note that on the A350 the seatbelt wasn't able to lock it properly since it was a bit big on the CRD in its tightest position. On the 787 it was fine and the CRD wouldn't move.

After takeoff the crew can remove and store the CRD for you, just let them know before hand and I find discussig it with the CSM to yield better results as they seem to be the more knowledgeable about it (one crew member who came to install it didn't know what it was and we had to help him out).

Now for J, I noticed on the A350 QSuite there is a shoulder harness for the forward facing seats. Don't remember about the 777. Also don't remember if there was an airbag on the belt or not so that may cause issues with securing the CRD.

sevastras Aug 22, 2019 1:47 pm

Thank you for the answers. I just got off the phone with QR and I was told that once the CRD is installed in the seat, it cannot be removed and stowed. I think we are going to skip using this, because I feel as though we can keep her still for take off and landing and dont want her in the CRD for a 16 hour flight. Just in case anyone else has questions about this in the future and use the search function.

Sifaan Sep 6, 2019 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by sevastras (Post 31433789)
My child will have just turned 2 for our December flights LAX-DOH-SIN and have booked the 4 person section in Qsuites. I am curious if any one knows if we can request a CRD for just take off and landing or if you request one, it must be attached to the seat the entire flight. My thought is once we are up to cruising, she can get out of it and hangout like a normal person(barring turbulence and what not). If not, I guess my other option would be to condition her to sitting with a seat belt on. Mother and daughter would be rear facing, if that matters. Thank you for any insight!

I've used the QR provided CRD in Economy and you don't strictly need to have it on for the whole flight - mind you, the cabin crew seem poorly trained on using it though and on my last flight (with 4 year old who is technically not eligible for it) it was delivered to the seat just before take off and I fitted it myself. In Y it's convenient to have it on the whole flight (prevents falling forward when sleeping) but in QSuites you'd anyway be flat for sleeping.