Wiki Posts
Search

QR Delay Refund Eligibility

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
QR Delay Compensation Eligibility

My apologies if this has already been covered numerous times but what length of delay is required before QR are obliged to pay a refund?

I was flying DOH to MEL on the 20/7 with a 5.5hr delay and as a result I missed a connection in MEL to SYD

I booked my flight with BA, do I seek a refund with them?

A bit lost so any help would be appreciated

Last edited by garethlewis; Jul 27, 2019 at 8:53 pm
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garethlewis
My apologies if this has already been covered numerous times but what length of delay is required before QR are obliged to pay a refund?

I was flying DOH to MEL on the 20/7 with a 5.5hr delay and as a result I missed a connection in MEL to SYD

I booked my flight with BA, do I seek a refund with them?

A bit lost so any help would be appreciated
Was DOH-MEL-SYD on 1 ticket? [why not DOH-SYD non stop?]
Did you get to SYD?
Delayed by x hrs?

From DOH, Eu261 does not apply nor is the Au legislation for late arrivals. Would not expect Qatar to have much for consumer rights.
I expect you will get nothing.
orbitmic and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
You may be offered a gesture (qmiles or QR voucher I expect) but probably nothing exceptional.

Unless of course your ticket originated from the EU (e.g. EU-DOH-MEL on one ticket) in which case you could claim the set EU compensation - if the delay was something reasonably under QR's control of course.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses, I don't wish to really push hard for this as in the end QR put me on a direct flight to SYD for the following day and put me up in a nice hotel - luckily I wasn't traveling on a tight turnaround.

As my original route was MAN-DOH-MEL, I am wondering whether the European leg allows me compensation for the DOH departure leg
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:31 am

If it was all on one ticket and the reason for the delay was appropriate then yes, compensation may be due.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 3:17 am
Suspended

Thank you for the responses, I don't wish to really push hard for this as in the end QR put me on a direct flight to SYD for the following day and put me up in a nice hotel - luckily I wasn't traveling on a tight turnaround.

As my original route was MAN-DOH-MEL, I am wondering whether the European leg allows me compensation for the DOH departure leg
You still haven't posted enough details. Was the whole thing to SYD on one ticket? If so, EU261 applies based on final destination. If not, EU261 compensation still probably applies but no a refund for MEL-SYD.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
You are short on details. The way I understand it is that you had a ticket MAN-DOH-MEL on QR and a separate one MEL-SYD.
You arrived 5 hours late in MEL, so there is potential for EC261 compensation depending on the reason for the delay.
But QR was laready very nice to you if the booked you into a nice hotel and provided you with a ticket MEL-SYD. The whole thing probably cost them more than the standard EC261 compensation.
If you were on a single ticket MAN-DOH-MEL-SYD issued by BA the situation is a bit different. QR provided you with right of care and rerouting but you could still claim EC261 compensation for the delay in arriving in SYD.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Apologies, I can see now I haven't provided enough detail.

My original ticket was MAN-DOH-MEL and then a separate MEL-SYD ticket.

Due to the DOH-MEL leg being 5 hours late I would miss my MEL-SYD flight and in fact miss the remainder of available MEL-SYD flights for that day so I would incur a hotel and I was told QF would put me on the next flight in the morning - I didn't believe QR that QF would do anything for me.

I requested that QR put me on the next QR flight direct to SYD which was the following day in the evening, they did this and put me in a QR owned hotel.

What I want to know is whether I am still eligible for EU261 compensation even though my routing changed at DOH as my original flight was delayed by 5 hours prior to rerouting
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Apologies, I can see now I haven't provided enough detail.

My original ticket was MAN-DOH-MEL and then a separate MEL-SYD ticket.

Due to the DOH-MEL leg being 5 hours late I would miss my MEL-SYD flight and in fact miss the remainder of available MEL-SYD flights for that day so I would incur a hotel and I was told QF would put me on the next flight in the morning - I didn't believe QR that QF would do anything for me.

I requested that QR put me on the next QR flight direct to SYD which was the following day in the evening, they did this and put me in a QR owned hotel.

What I want to know is whether I am still eligible for EU261 compensation even though my routing changed at DOH as my original flight was delayed by 5 hours prior to rerouting
Thank you for the clarification.
This is a grey area and your case would not allow a straightforward application of EC261.. But I doubt that QR owes you more.

You asked for the rerouting and never actually traveled to MEL. It would be hard to claim that you experienced a delay at the destination point of your ticket (MEL).
QR (or QF) owed you no refund on your MEL-SYD separate ticket as this was a risk you were taking. I think that you were right to choose this option.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:15 am
Suspended

The way I see it is that it's not 100% clear that they would owe you something, but it's worth sending in a request anyway.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, do you have any templates for submitting requests under EC261?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.