Woman alone in DOH overnight

Old Jul 23, 19, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Woman alone in DOH overnight

Due to impossibly complicated circumstances, my partner will return from AKL to BHX alone. This will include eight hours in DOH from midnight to 8am (approx.)

Does anyone have any recommendations / advice / experiences to share for a woman staying the night at DOH.

I'm personally keen on her using one of the lounges, but it'll be her decision.
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:26 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
The transit hotel would be my suggestion
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:29 am

Programs: qatar airways
There are also free women only sleep areas.
Old Jul 23, 19, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
The transit hotel would be my suggestion
I had a look at that, but the price I was quoted online was over US$200. Is that a typical price? She's already unsure about a transit lounge because of the price (even though I would pay it.)
Old Jul 23, 19, 7:06 am
NoY

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, EY Gold, QR Gold, CX, SQ
Transit hotel. Shower. Sleep. Peace. Security. Don't even think about her spending 8 hours-ish in the terminal or a lounge - madness.
Old Jul 23, 19, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Madness? Even in a transit lounge?
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Would you mind sharing the exact times? She may be eligible for free transit accommodation.

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?
Old Jul 23, 19, 9:12 am

Programs: EK Gold; UA *G; BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium
As someone who has lived in Qatar for almost 2 years I am happy to confirm that your partner faces only a comfort but definitely not an security issue (I am still trying to get my head around why there should be any 'madness' and where).

The transit hotel is a good choice and worth the 200. Otherwise, I have spent longer hours at much worse airports. There a plenty of shops/ restaurants she can kill the time, and midnight to morning is a rather busy time anyway, so people spotting should not make it too boring.
Old Jul 23, 19, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Schwann View Post
Would you mind sharing the exact times? She may be eligible for free transit accommodation.

She is there 8 hours, 12 hours is the minimum for the hotel and it is now $23USD. I would just use the lounge, you have food, drinks and a place to sleep all for $55 USD
Old Jul 23, 19, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sevastras View Post
She is there 8 hours, 12 hours is the minimum for the hotel and it is now $23USD. I would just use the lounge, you have food, drinks and a place to sleep all for $55 USD
No, that's the Discover Qatar programme. The one I am referring to in the above link is for layovers over 8 hours with no alternative flight within 8 hours.
Old Jul 23, 19, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann View Post

Ummm....... I just checked her tickets. I have to now admit that this whole thread is a mistake as she's only in Doha for 2 hours and 40 minutes. Every other flight we looked at had the 8 hour stopover, and myself and my son will have 8hrs 30mins, but we plan to leave the airport and see the city at night.

I formally apologise to everyone in this thread. Because we can't all travel at the same time, I did find the process of finding the right flights rather complicated, and it appears that my mental image of our trip and the actual trip has diverged.

So, rather than this thread being about 'DOH', it's more 'D'oh!'

Last edited by OccasionalFlyerPerson; Jul 23, 19 at 10:29 am
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:37 pm

Programs: EK Gold; UA *G; BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson View Post
Ummm....... I just checked her tickets. I have to now admit that this whole thread is a mistake as she's only in Doha for 2 hours and 40 minutes. Every other flight we looked at had the 8 hour stopover, and myself and my son will have 8hrs 30mins, but we plan to leave the airport and see the city at night.

I formally apologise to everyone in this thread. Because we can't all travel at the same time, I did find the process of finding the right flights rather complicated, and it appears that my mental image of our trip and the actual trip has diverged.

So, rather than this thread being about 'DOH', it's more 'D'oh!'
Lol

Just get a car to the corniche and you'll enjoy

There are a few nice bars around - depending on the age of your son
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

My son is 19, but neither of us is into bars and clubs.
Old Jul 24, 19, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post
Lol

There are a few nice bars around - depending on the age of your son
You caught my attention !

I spend quite a lot of time in Doha, where I've found (or been taken/dragged to) arm-and-a-leg cocktail lounges, night-clubs, noisy sports bars, pretty open girly bars and even venues with an "alternative lifestyle" edge.

But casual, welcoming, walk-in bars where nice would be an appropriate tag seem to be in vanishingly short supply. You've clearly been more fortunate than I!
Old Jul 24, 19, 12:56 am
NoY

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, EY Gold, QR Gold, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson View Post
Madness? Even in a transit lounge?
Yes, they are like bus station waiting rooms, but with free flow (poor quality) beverages. Madness, as I said. Pony up the $200 & do things right.

Search this Thread