Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

what is the minimum connection time you would risk at DOH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum

I am flying from ICN to London on QR next month, and I have to get to a BA flight that has already been booked as a return to Palermo later the same day. Which would you take? One that connects to the BA DOH -LHR that only has a 1 hr 15 layover or take the 0750 QR flight which leaves 2.5 hours to go through passport control pick up bags and then check in for the BA flight in T3 at LHR? Am meeting family for holiday in Sicily.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I am flying from ICN to London on QR next month, and I have to get to a BA flight that has already been booked as a return to Palermo later the same day. Which would you take? One that connects to the BA DOH -LHR that only has a 1 hr 15 layover or take the 0750 QR flight which leaves 2.5 hours to go through passport control pick up bags and then check in for the BA flight in T3 at LHR? Am meeting family for holiday in Sicily.
I'd take the QR-QR connection, hands down. Apart from the extra time for the connection at an airport (LHR) which can sometimes be very slow, I'd much rather be on the same carrier for the connection. Eliminates a number of potential problems in the event of irrops or luggage mishaps.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'd take the QR-QR connection, hands down. Apart from the extra time for the connection at an airport (LHR) which can sometimes be very slow, I'd much rather be on the same carrier for the connection. Eliminates a number of potential problems in the event of irrops or luggage mishaps.
I basically lose time at LHR on the QR - QR. My concern with the QR - BA one that is offered of QR's website is the length of time it might take to get to the BA gate and also the risk of luggage mishaps. I woudl prefer longer than 2.5 hours at Heathrow though, also.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
QR should/will be able to check your bags through to the BA Palermo flight so that would take some of the pressure off.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
QR should/will be able to check your bags through to the BA Palermo flight so that would take some of the pressure off.
on a separate booking? Will they do that? BA wouldn't...
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
QR Interlining (Baggage)

Have a read.. they should.
itsmeitisss likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
QR Interlining (Baggage)

Have a read.. they should.
Thanks for that.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
QR does for at least separate Oneworld airline tickets for Oneworld airline flights when the connection time is not greater than 12 hours. If it’s any more customer-friendly than that, it would be news to me, but QR had been very good about this to me.

I would find 60 minutes comfortably sufficient. I’ve had to do what turned out to be some 30-40 minute connections and they worked out fine but I would rather have had 60 minutes or more.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder

QR does for at least separate Oneworld airline tickets for Oneworld airline flights when the connection time is not greater than 12 hours. If it’s any more customer-friendly than that, it would be news to me, but QR had been very good about this to me.

I would find 60 minutes comfortably sufficient. I’ve had to do what turned out to be some 30-40 minute connections and they worked out fine but I would rather have had 60 minutes or more.
Thank you. I've asked the client to book the QR - QR which will give me longer at DOH (though I usually have around 9 hours there on my way out!!) and I will ask them to check my bags through to Palermo - departure time is 1545 on 22nd. I will be checkin in around 11pm on 21st at ICN.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:58 pm

I've got a ticket on QR from BHX to DIA to AKL. The DIA connection is 1hr30min. Fingers sort-ofcrossed for everything going right. If the incoming flight is delayed and I miss the connection, at least that should be QR's problem not mine as I have a through ticket.

I must admit that I wouldn't say no to a missed connection if QR then has to put me up in a hotel and I get a day in Doha.

The last time I went to New Zealand, I missed the connection in AMS due to a weather delayed flight. So: free day in Amsterdam including a free hotel. As I wasn't in a hurry, this was a result for me.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yeah, I’d much rather be in AKL than burning a day in Doha. Sure, they’d put you up in the Oryx Rotana, but it’s really nothing special.

FWIW, it’s DOH, not DIA (aka Hamad International Airport). DIA usually refers to Denver International Airport (DEN).
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
I've got a ticket on QR from BHX to DIA to AKL. The DIA connection is 1hr30min. Fingers sort-ofcrossed for everything going right. If the incoming flight is delayed and I miss the connection, at least that should be QR's problem not mine as I have a through ticket.

I must admit that I wouldn't say no to a missed connection if QR then has to put me up in a hotel and I get a day in Doha.

The last time I went to New Zealand, I missed the connection in AMS due to a weather delayed flight. So: free day in Amsterdam including a free hotel. As I wasn't in a hurry, this was a result for me.
If you're a BAECer then the other option [and the one I'd shoot for] would be rerouting through HKG or KUL ;-) [SYD would also be an option, but SYD-AKL is <2000 miles].

On the other hand, HIA is pretty slick for connections [even if transit security looks like chaos] so I certainly wouldn't be expecting to miss that connection. We made a 55 minute connection from a bus gate arrival to a bus gate departure in March - including the length-of-the-airport trip form security to the E bus gates.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:45 am

Thanks. I originally wrote DOH then checked on Wikipedia. Unfortunately, I didn't read the page properly and revising it now it refers to an old airport in Doha.

As I'll be in AKL for three weeks or so, one day in Doha wouldn't be bad. But, it's not a biggie or I would have paid the considerable extra to have a day there. If I miss the connection with it being the airline's fault, the day is free.

When I got my free day in Amsterdam, it was due to weather delaying flights from LHR. So, I'm not thinking I might miss the flight due to not making the 1hr 30min transfer, but due to my outward flight being late.

I came very close to missing a connection at Istanbul when flying LHR -> IKA due to my outward flight being delayed, but as in my post in the "I can't believe that I made that flight' thread, by physically running through the airport and not encountering a single queue, I actually made it.

I'm not a member of any schemes or anything as I don't fly very often. (See username.) Given the number of times I've been on flights that are delayed despite tight connections, it seems quite a common event to me.

Last edited by OccasionalFlyerPerson; Jul 23, 2019 at 1:53 am
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by swingaling

FWIW, it’s DOH, not DIA (aka Hamad International Airport). (DEN).
Not being pernickety: it surprised me as well. DOH appears to be a city code, with DIA as a reserved airport code

https://www.iata.org/publications/Pa...de-search.aspx

Originally Posted by swingaling
DIA usually refers to Denver International Airport (DEN).
I think that's local shorthand. Rather like the confusing use of MIA for Manchester Interntional Airport (MAN)
Denver International is, of course, DEN

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jul 23, 2019 at 1:58 am
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:12 am

DOH is the IATA airport code for the current, active, airport (Hamad International Airport).
DIA is the local airport name for the old airport that was closed to scheduled traffic in 2014 (Doha International Airport).

Last edited by remdk; Jul 23, 2019 at 2:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.