Wiki Posts
Search

Why PHL Change to 777?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Why PHL Change to 777?

I have flown the route PHL-DOH several times and always had the 350-9, a great seat in J. It is now a 777. Why was this changed? Does the 777 hold more and the extra seats were needed?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:12 am

TonyBurr maybe, just maybe, QR are going to start retrofitting Q-suites to the A359 fleet!
If so they appear to have learnt a lesson from the B777 retrofits and are reducing 359 routes and giving themselves a larger reserve so that the problems of aircraft swaps that they are still having with the B777 fleet can be lssended.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by remdk
TonyBurr maybe, just maybe, QR are going to start retrofitting Q-suites to the A359 fleet!
If so they appear to have learnt a lesson from the B777 retrofits and are reducing 359 routes and giving themselves a larger reserve so that the problems of aircraft swaps that they are still having with the B777 fleet can be lssended.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I see that as one of the least likely explanations possible. (BTW, the same thing has happened to BOS, the route I fly most frequently, -- switched from 359 to 77W.) There are so many possible reasons for equipment changes that I wouldn't even know where to begin.

The big pictures of route planning and equipment assignment is extremely complicated, -- there are so many factors which are included in the calculus, both long term (e.g., change in predicted passenger or freight traffic) and short term (e.g., aircraft taken out of service for mechanical reasons, necessitating a shuffling of available equipment).
blackdog047 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I have flown the route PHL-DOH several times and always had the 350-9, a great seat in J. It is now a 777. Why was this changed? Does the 777 hold more and the extra seats were needed?
I think this deserves a very accurate answer. The reason for most of these changes can usually be chalked down to "Oh, why not?". QR isn't known for being sticklers on keeping an advertised configurtion on a given route. Some in this very forum might even go as far as to suggest that booking a QR ticket to fly a certain type of seat or certain type of aircraft might be less preferrable than taking your money, heading for the nearest WC and flushing it down the pipes.

-A
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:01 pm

Currently, PHL-DOH is scheduled to return to the A350 from 1 September.

Last edited by perseus11; Jul 8, 2019 at 8:51 pm
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I noticed that when I flew the route a couple of weeks ago also - a 777 with the old style 2-2-2 J seats at that. Wasn't a bad flight mind as the cabin was half empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.