Search

Transfer through LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
Transfer through LHR

Hi,

I will be flying in from DOH with QR and fly out with BA too DUS on July 16th, separate booking. I am holding a Chinese passport with an inactive Type D Schengen Visa (will be activated from 19th of July).
Do I need a transfer visa for this circumstance? From what I know, I don't need a transfer visa if I have a Type D Schengen Visa, but not sure if the visa will work if it isn't activate.
Or the problem can also be solve if I can through check my luggage from CKG all the way to DUS, which I will only do a airside transfer from T4 to T5, but from what I know, it is pretty hard for both airline to through check luggage if it is not on the same booking.
My trip will look like this: CKG-DOH-LHR-DUS.
Btw, amazing one-way fare with QR and AY departing from CKG to LHR, approx. 1050usd in business class.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC
My suggestion is that you do need a transit visa. However I am a random stranger on the internet, not an expert, and you should consult the British Embassy in China for advice.

Using the gov.uk website.
  • Chinese national.
  • In transit.
  • No need to go airside (this assumes that QR will check bags through to BA, which is as per their policy)
You end up at this page - https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/china/transit/somewhere_else/no

My bolding below...

You’ll need a visa to pass through the UK in transit (unless you’re exempt)

You should apply for a Direct Airside Transit visa if you arrive in the UK on a flight and leave again without passing through immigration control.

Exemptions

You don’t need a visa if you have one of the following:
  • a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA (this can be used for travel to any country)
  • a residence permit issued by Australia or New Zealand
  • a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland
  • a resident permit issued by Canada after 28 June 2002
  • a uniform format category D visa for entry into a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • an Irish biometric visa (marked ‘BC’ or ‘BC BIVS’ in the ‘Remarks’ section)
  • a Schengen Approved Destination Scheme (ADS) group tourism visa where the holder is travelling to the Schengen country that issued the visa
  • a flight ticket from the Schengen area, if you can prove that you entered the Schengen area in the previous 30 days on the basis of a valid Schengen ADS visa
  • a valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa issued by the USA (a wet-ink stamp version will not be accepted)
  • a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
  • an expired USA I-551 Permanent Residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998, with a valid I-797 letter authorising extension
  • a valid standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B issued by the USA (attached to a sealed brown envelope)
All visas and residence permits must be valid.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks, i will just change my fligjt a few days later, bot a big problem. But if QR can check my luaggage to DUS, i dont need a visa since a i have my 10 year us visa still valid, but thabks anyway.

Originally Posted by plunet
My suggestion is that you do need a transit visa. However I am a random stranger on the internet, not an expert, and you should consult the British Embassy in China for advice.

Using the gov.uk website.
  • Chinese national.
  • In transit.
  • No need to go airside (this assumes that QR will check bags through to BA, which is as per their policy)
You end up at this page - https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/china/transit/somewhere_else/no[h2]
My bolding below...
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:03 am

Make sure you leave plenty of time between your flights, I would suggest 3 hours as a minimum - although airside transfers are ok all you need is a surge of passengers trying to transfer out of T4 and it might take an hour although this would be unusual. Your BA flight will need s luggage allowance that is enough to take your onwards luggage from QR (QR check in agents often check). If it seems your flight is going to be late from Doha you should be able invoke BA same day change to a later flight with seats available, but you need to invoke the change at least one hour before the scheduled departure.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerrythegreat12
<snip>
but from what I know, it is pretty hard for both airline to through check luggage if it is not on the same booking.
<snip>
Not hard for QR ---> QR Interlining (Baggage)
QR Interlining (Baggage)
Qatar Airways will again interlink baggage on itineraries on separate PNRs as of 1 March 2017, as long as MCT / Minimum Connection Times are met.

This policy update occurred 23 Feb 2017 in the QR ground operations manual, was found by Australian Business Traveller and verified by a Qatar Airways spokesperson.
<snip>
Your trips (multiple) are CKG-DOH-LHR and LHR-DUS

Look at TIMATC---> https://www.emirates.com/nz/english/...uirements.aspx
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:01 am

Hi,

I will be flying in from DOH with QR and fly out with BA too DUS on July 16th, separate booking. I am holding a Chinese passport with an inactive Type D Schengen Visa (will be activated from 19th of July).
Do I need a transfer visa for this circumstance? From what I know, I don't need a transfer visa if I have a Type D Schengen Visa, but not sure if the visa will work if it isn't activate.
Or the problem can also be solve if I can through check my luggage from CKG all the way to DUS, which I will only do a airside transfer from T4 to T5, but from what I know, it is pretty hard for both airline to through check luggage if it is not on the same booking.
Btw, amazing one-way fare with QR and AY departing from CKG to LHR, approx. 1050usd in business class.
You'll be denied boarding in CKG as you do not have the legal documents to enter your final destination (Schengen Area). If your Schengen Visa is valid from 19th of July, you can not enter before that date
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
You'll be denied boarding in CKG as you do not have the legal documents to enter your final destination (Schengen Area). If your Schengen Visa is valid from 19th of July, you can not enter before that date
I still have a Type C schengen visa (a tourist visa), it is just I need a Type D visa to enter GB and re-CI my baggage, but since I don't need to do that (Thanks Mwenenzi), I can do direct airside transfer and go to T5 and fly to Schengen.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Make sure you leave plenty of time between your flights, I would suggest 3 hours as a minimum - although airside transfers are ok all you need is a surge of passengers trying to transfer out of T4 and it might take an hour although this would be unusual. Your BA flight will need s luggage allowance that is enough to take your onwards luggage from QR (QR check in agents often check). If it seems your flight is going to be late from Doha you should be able invoke BA same day change to a later flight with seats available, but you need to invoke the change at least one hour before the scheduled departure.
I do have 3h between flights, I will arrive on QR7, which will land in LHR Block time 14:10, and connect on BA944, which will depart block time 17:30. Since QR can CI all the way to DUS, thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Not hard for QR ---> QR Interlining (Baggage)

Your trips (multiple) are CKG-DOH-LHR and LHR-DUS

Look at TIMATC---> https://www.emirates.com/nz/english/...uirements.aspx

This is all I need to know, I can CI baggage from QR to BA, thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Your BA flight will need s luggage allowance that is enough to take your onwards luggage from QR (QR check in agents often check).
I wonder how this work, when QR stick with how many kilos but QR is haw many bags. I will CI two luggage around 30kg, and when I buy my BA ticket, it will be 1x23+1x23 from my Sapphire status. Wonder how this works.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:26 pm

My guess is that this could trip you up. It depends on how well the check in agent (or their supervisor) knows the rules. If you are close to your check in limit, it's likely to get scrutiny.

If you are over the permitted limit for BA including your sapphire allowance, then this could prevent QR from doing the through check-in for you.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:44 pm

This guide on how airside transfers work at LHR from the BA forum might be useful background reading. Start at post 9, it will refer you back to post 4.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1735255-guide-connecting-lhr-t5.html#post25935784
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:24 pm

I still have a Type C schengen visa (a tourist visa), it is just I need a Type D visa to enter GB and re-CI my baggage, but since I don't need to do that (Thanks Mwenenzi), I can do direct airside transfer and go to T5 and fly to Schengen.
What you are trying to do is very fishy and will create you trouble.

First, to be able to transit through LHR you need "a uniform format category D visa for entry into a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland" that "All visas and residence permits must be valid.". If your Schengen D visa starts the 19th of July and you are travelling the 16th of July, then the visa is NOT valid (yet)

Secondly, you are trying to enter the Schengen Area with a Type C visa and then intending to remain in a Type D visa. That is a workaround that is not valid and could end up with both visas cancelled and you back to China.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
What you are trying to do is very fishy and will create you trouble.

First, to be able to transit through LHR you need "a uniform format category D visa for entry into a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland" that "All visas and residence permits must be valid.". If your Schengen D visa starts the 19th of July and you are travelling the 16th of July, then the visa is NOT valid (yet)

Secondly, you are trying to enter the Schengen Area with a Type C visa and then intending to remain in a Type D visa. That is a workaround that is not valid and could end up with both visas cancelled and you back to China.
Lol, I wasn't trying to stamp in with my C visa and stay with my D visa, After my business is done in the summer, I will fly out to some where in East Europe or GB or Turkey to stamp out my C visa and re-enter using my D visa.

I can do a direct Airside transfer if QR through CI my baggage to DUS with a valid US visa (Which i have), an australia Visa, a new Zealand visa or a Canada visa (which I also have. )
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:56 am
Original Poster

My guess is that this could trip you up. It depends on how well the check in agent (or their supervisor) knows the rules. If you are close to your check in limit, it's likely to get scrutiny.

If you are over the permitted limit for BA including your sapphire allowance, then this could prevent QR from doing the through check-in for you.
Thanks Plunet, I will make sure I will have enough Baggage allowance, probably going to by a Club Europe if the price of buying to CI baggage will cost more than a Club Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.