Wiki Posts
Search

BKK transfer to VN possible?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum
BKK transfer to VN possible?

I have 2 separate bookings (QR and VN) which will "connect" in BKK. Is there a chance that the transfer desk can (and is willing to) retrieve and relabel/redirect my checked-in baggage to avoid immigration/customs/baggage claim/new check-in?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum
I was on two separate tickets this week from JNB - BKK (QR) and from BKK - PNH (PG).

Asked check in agent at JNB to check my baggage in all the way to PNH. She was unsure and called her supervisor and both struggled a bit as apparently they have a new/upgraded system.

Eventually they got it right and also issued my boarding pass for the PG flight. Picked up my bags in PNH.

I see on EF that QR also has interline agreement and may check bags to VN. Just ask at check in and be persistent.
toz100 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by kl1987
I see on EF that QR also has interline agreement and may check bags to VN. Just ask at check in and be persistent.
kl1987 got lucky being able to check through onto PG as it is outside of the airline's policy - worth noting that PG are a closer partner at BKK for QR than VN are.

I wouldn't be too persistent at the check-in desk. Interline agreements are there for through ticketing. Checking through baggage on separate tickets is not a service that is offered because there is an interline agreement, but it can be facilitated if an interline agreement is in place.

Note that Qatar has a policy for checking through on separate tickets, and this is limited to OneWorld airline partners, and VN is not in OneWorld.

So by all means ask if it is possible at check in. And if refused you could politely ask if they could check it with their supervisor. But you should not expect or insist. And forcing the issue could get the check-in agent into trouble as it is against QR policy.

No idea if the BKK transit desk can trap the bag and redirect it for the onward flight.
toz100, nancypants and Tokyoite like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by plunet
kl1987 got lucky being able to check through onto PG as it is outside of the airline's policy - worth noting that PG are a closer partner at BKK for QR than VN are.

I wouldn't be too persistent at the check-in desk. Interline agreements are there for through ticketing. Checking through baggage on separate tickets is not a service that is offered because there is an interline agreement, but it can be facilitated if an interline agreement is in place.

Note that Qatar has a policy for checking through on separate tickets, and this is limited to OneWorld airline partners, and VN is not in OneWorld.

So by all means ask if it is possible at check in. And if refused you could politely ask if they could check it with their supervisor. But you should not expect or insist. And forcing the issue could get the check-in agent into trouble as it is against QR policy.

No idea if the BKK transit desk can trap the bag and redirect it for the onward flight.
I agree with you on the policy. I know I have no right for QR accepting check through and I wold never insist on this. That's why I was asking about baggage retrieving/relabeling at the transfer desk. I did read someone's positive report about this some time ago but I forgot where it was and which (non OW) airline was involved.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:00 pm

I don't agree with your views on this issue. Why would QR sign agreements and have it available to the public if it isn't policy?
In my case the check in agent said no they can't and when I asked her to call her supervisor she said "of course they can". They were busy with quite some time and said it's only because the system was recently changed/updated.
Judging by the time it took I think that is why many check in agents say that they can't because it requires a bit more effort.
Here is QR's interline agreements:

nterline AgreementsShare Results

E-Ticket Interline Agreements

AA AC AD AE AF AH AI AR AS AT AV AY AZ A3 BA BE BG BI BL BP BR BT B2 B6 B8 CA CI CM CU CX CY CZ DT DV EI ET FB FI FJ FM FV GA GF GK G3 HM HO HR HU HX HY IB IE IG IR IY IZ JJ JL JP JQ JU J2 KA KC KE KK KL KM KP KQ KU KX K6 LA LG LH LM LO LP LR LX ME MF MH MI MS MU NH NU NX NZ OA OD OK OM OS OU OZ O6 PC PD PG PR PS PW PX PZ QF QV RA RB RJ RO SA SC SK SN SQ SU SV SW S7 TA TG TK TM TP TU UB UK UL UM UX U6 VA VN VR VY WB WF WS WY W2 W3 XK XL YM ZH 2A 2C 3K 3U 4M 4O 4Q 5H 6I 8M 8Q 8U 9B 9K

Paper Ticket and Baggage Interline Agreements

MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
AA AC AD AE AF AH AI AR AS AT AV AY AZ A3
BA BE BG BI BL BP BR BT B2 B6 B8 CA CI CM
CU CX CY CZ DT DV EI ET EY FB FI FJ FM FN
FV GA GF GK GU G3 HM HO HR HU HX HY H2 IB
IC IE IG IR IY IZ JJ JL JP JQ JU J2 KA KC
KE KK KL KM KP KQ KU KX K6 LA LG LH LM LO
LP LR LT LX ME MF MH MI MS MU NH NU NX NZ
OA OD OK OM OS OU OZ O6 PC PD PG PR PS PW
PX PZ QF QN QV RA RB RJ RO SA SC SK SN SQ
SU SV SW S7 TA TG TK TM TP TU T0 UB UK UL
UM UX U6 VA VJ VN VR VY WB WF WS WY W2 W3
W5 XK XL YM ZH ZJ Z5 2A 2C 3K 3U 4M 4O 4Q
5H 6I 8M 8Q 8U 9B 9F 9K 9W

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
AA AC AD AE AF AH AI AR AS AT AV AY AZ A3
BA BE BG BI BL BP BR BT B2 B6 B8 CA CI CM
CU CX CY CZ DT DV EI ET EY FB FI FJ FM FN
FV GA GF GK GU G3 HM HO HR HU HX HY H2 IB
IC IE IG IR IY IZ JJ JL JP JQ JU J2 KA KC
KE KK KL KM KP KQ KU KX K6 LA LG LH LM LO
LP LR LT LX ME MF MH MI MS MU NH NU NX NZ
OA OD OK OM OS OU OZ O6 PC PD PG PR PS PW
PX PZ QF QN QV RA RB RJ RO SA SC SK SN SQ
SU SV SW S7 TA TG TK TM TP TU T0 UB UK UL
UM U6 VA VJ VN VR VY WB WF WS WY W2 W3 W5
XK XL YM ZH ZJ Z5 2A 2C 3K 3U 4M 4O 4Q 5H
6I 8M 8Q 8U 9K 9W

quinzinho and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I don't agree with your views on this issue. Why would QR sign agreements and have it available to the public if it isn't policy?
In my case the check in agent said no they can't and when I asked her to call her supervisor she said "of course they can". They were busy with quite some time and said it's only because the system was recently changed/updated.
Judging by the time it took I think that is why many check in agents say that they can't because it requires a bit more effort.
Here is QR's interline agreements:

Yes, they have an interline agreement, and this is very very common across different airlines as you can see from the list. This usually covers instances where, for example, there is a Bangkok Airways and Qatar Airways flight on the same ticket/booking. However seperate tickets is a different issue... there is no obligation for QR to check bags through other than their own QR to OW policy.

For goodness sake, don't get all "I want to speak to the supervisor" because you're demanding something you're not entitled to. By all means, ask politely but expect pushback if you're asking for for something outside of policy. We're lucky to have this QR to OW baggage rule and we don't need it put in jeopardy because people are pushing the boundaries with their requests and giving agents a hard time.
jerry a. laska and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Schwann
Yes, they have an interline agreement, and this is very very common across different airlines as you can see from the list. This usually covers instances where, for example, there is a Bangkok Airways and Qatar Airways flight on the same ticket/booking. However seperate tickets is a different issue... there is no obligation for QR to check bags through other than their own QR to OW policy.

For goodness sake, don't get all "I want to speak to the supervisor" because you're demanding something you're not entitled to. By all means, ask politely but expect pushback if you're asking for for something outside of policy. We're lucky to have this QR to OW baggage rule and we don't need it put in jeopardy because people are pushing the boundaries with their requests and giving agents a hard time.
Actually I think my exact words were "could you please double check with your supervisor", to which the supervisor replied "of course we can". Certainly not the demanding tone which you describe. I think I could be described as the epitome of politeness.
Everyone will interpret the rules differently if there aren't clear definitions or examples of the rules available so to go on the offensive is a bit uncalled for.
The published rule is interpreted by you as being only for flights on the same ticket and mine is that they can do it on both.
Another point that I also made clear was that it took a bit longer and that some check in agents might not be eager to make the extra effort.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Just ask at check in and be persistent.
To be fair you did suggest in your original post that you should 'be persistent' at check-in. This is the reason I and Schwann have tried to balance your posting with the reality of the policy and situation likely to be encountered...
nancypants and Schwann like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:09 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Bankgok Airways also owns Bangkok Ground Services the Number 2 [After Thai Airways] Check-in and Ground Handling service for other Airlines at BKK. Qatar is also I believe a minority shareholder so QR to PG should be a breeze.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:56 am

* Bangok Flight Services
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: Qatar Platinum, One World Emerald, IHG Platinum Elite
Also, it might be worth noting that PG codeshares with QR for the BKK-PNH leg; so you could purchase PNH- DOH via BKK (although the more direct route is PNH-DOH via SGN with a technical stop). If you've purchased via QR, the PG leg for BKK would be coded as QR although BKK airways is not a OneWorld affiliate. This might make the interlining a bit easier. But with other airlines, outside alliance partners, my understanding is that if the entire journey is on the same PNR, then interlining should not be a problem. If they are indeed separate tickets from separate sources, a bit more effort may be required, but still possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.