Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Will QR’s operations be affected by a US Iran conflict?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will QR’s operations be affected by a US Iran conflict?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by SSY
Given the expertise on this forum, i would like to ask whether or not an expansion of conflict would likely impact Doha overall as a hub, and also for north/south transit through Doha on QR? The OP was mainly concerned with east/west transit to asia where it geographically the strait of hormuz is more relevant, but what about from Africa to Europe?

Im reserved and about to issue a oneworld rtw ticket, and was planning on flying QR from Windhoek to Doha then onwards to Europe in about a month. I was already a bit concerned about having only 2 hour layover part and any delays, but now with the escalation I worry I wont even be able to fly this routing. Any thoughts here?
Hi there; while I understand how some people might seet the situation; it is ABSOLUTELY safe to fly with QR; they do take really liberal approach when it comes to detours to bypass any security-linked areas. When the blockade occured; they developed a plan which continued it to be flying despite the challenges. Qatar Airways is very safe--and there should not be any reason to avoid.

I wish you the best of luck whatever you choose.
blackdog047 and Traveller999 like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:44 am

I am suppose to be flying to London via Doha from New Zealand on the 26th with my wife and since realising flight path goes straight through Iranian airspace she is having second thoughts about flying QR. Set to lose half our airfare if we cancel now, not to mention the price of using a different carrier. Not sure what to do
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by Brickbroker
I am suppose to be flying to London via Doha from New Zealand on the 26th with my wife and since realising flight path goes straight through Iranian airspace she is having second thoughts about flying QR. Set to lose half our airfare if we cancel now, not to mention the price of using a different carrier. Not sure what to do
I would not cancel; there is NOTHING to be worried about. QR flies thru Southern Iranian Airspace which all carriers fly and to the edge of the Omani/UAE coast; there is NO DANGER at all to civilian aircraft. Dont worry, and enjoy the ride.

I would enjoy the service and travel in all ease of mind
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
The best solution here would be to stop telling your wives!
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by QatarA340
QR flies thru Southern Iranian Airspace which all carriers fly
Except the U.S. ones of course. And what we're discussing here is what would happen if there were to be a war between the US and Iran, which would entail closure of Iranian airspace for some time at least.

Originally Posted by Schwann
The best solution here would be to stop telling your wives!
If he's from NZ, he's likely to have no more than one wife at at time.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by QatarA340
I would not cancel; there is NOTHING to be worried about. QR flies thru Southern Iranian Airspace which all carriers fly and to the edge of the Omani/UAE coast; there is NO DANGER at all to civilian aircraft. Dont worry, and enjoy the ride.
I don't think the question previously being asked is will I be in danger, it's more that if any no fly zone is increased to cover more or most of Iran, will QR be able or willing to find alternative routes?
tropikey likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by ft101
I don't think the question previously being asked is will I be in danger, it's more that if any no fly zone is increased to cover more or most of Iran, will QR be able or willing to find alternative routes?
My wife is actually worried about the danger side of things, as most other major airlines have diverted their flights to avoid the Iran airspace, whereas it seems Qatar havn’t because they are unable to fly through UAE or Saudi
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:11 am

[QUOTE=tom tulpe;31233614

If he's from NZ, he's likely to have no more than one wife at at time.[/QUOTE]

Yes unfortunately only 1 wife at the moment but this did make me laugh
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:10 am

Not too familiar with the flight paths and such but do have connecting flights that were bought as separate tickets? Not sure if my routes are affected and how much extra fly time they would incur if changes happened?

YUL > DOH
DOH > BKK

BKK > DOH
DOH > YUL

….in the front and back of those I have some other flights booked separately.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:52 am

I totally understand that you guys are concerned about the flight paths over Strait of Hormuz and Gulf of Oman. My work colleagues feel the same way and told me that they are planning to cancel their QR tickets due to the tension between Iran and US.

So I spoke to few of my friends, who are the captains of QR, about the flight paths over Strait of Hormuz and Gulf of Oman, and was told that the flight paths are definitely safe and that there is nothing to worry about. And also, they even said that my work colleagues should not cancel their QR tickets and that they can rest assured that they are going to be fine.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AA platinum, SPG Gold
Can you expand on what your QR captain friends are telling you please. Why exactly is it safe to fly over the Strait of Hormuz and Gulf of Oman when all other airlines are making alternative accommodations? What exactly are the alternative plans given that President Trump has today instituted new sanctions? I too am very concerned as I have one QR flight from JFK to JRO stopping in DOH.
Additionally I have another flight home on Emirates JRO-JFK through DXB. In my case, husband is ready to cancel safari and stop overs!
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ft101
Yes, when I originally posed the questions, it was mostly about actual QR operations and not safety of the flights. Though it’s completely understandable to be nervous about flying over a potential conflict zone, the chances of something happening like an IR655 or MH17 incident is quite slim to none (knock on wood), but should conflict arise, tens of thousands of travelers could be stuck and their itineraries put into limbo, should QR not have adequate plans to change flight plans if a conflict emerges. I for one am much much more worried about my flights being canceled right before my trips, or (even worse) being stuck in the middle of my itinerary with no options on getting home, than being hit by a missile. Just my 2 cents.
whenzuc and GUWonder like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
I honestly cannot understand why people think it is unsafe to overfly Iran or the Strait when there is no active conflict. Iran is not about to start shooting civilian aircraft out of the air even if they are US registered. They shot down a military drone in their airspace which did not have permission to be there; something many countries might do if a non-friendly nation had any unauthorized military anything in their airspace (imagine if this was an Iranian aircraft near a US air base without permission...).

On a side note: I sometimes see QR aircraft flying through the southeast area of Saudi Arabia on flightradar24 after leaving Omani airspace but might just be a glitch? Has anyone seen this on the airshow while flying QR?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Brickbroker
Yes unfortunately only 1 wife at the moment but this did make me laugh
And hopefully (for you) she doesn't read FT and didn't see this comment.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:05 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Currently flying back and forth through AUH, and there are delays across the board due to congestion in Omani airspace.

I suppose that's where delays are going to start coming from.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.