Skytrax 2019

Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar PC,Iberia
Skytrax 2019

Hello... Qatar Airways,Airline of the Year 2019
Congrats and we'll done
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I agree with most of the awards QR got; I do think its the worlds best airline, worlds best business class, best business class seat, etc. but digging in deeper into the results, theres quite a few rankings where I feel Qatar is quite overrated, mostly in regards to specific first and business lounge ratings. How does AL Mourjan rank as the worlds 4th best J lounge or have the 5th best J lounge food in the world, beating out the likes of AF, LX, TK, or the non-sfo UA Polaris lounges? Especially with the crowds at peak times, and the subsequent wait times for drinks at the bar or showers. And how does Al Safwa tank as the second best F lounge overall and for catering? Id argue that LH, AF, CX and maybe others have better F service on the ground at their hubs. Its quite confusing since Im sure many of us have quite a few qualms with QRs ground services at DOH. But overall still, congrats QR!
GalaxyChris and Traveller999 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I don't think that we'll be seeing and significant sales any time soon. With being named Airline of the Year, Best Business Class, Best Business Class Seat, Best M.E. Airline, they don't have to run any sales. I wouldn't be surprised to see prices increase a little, in fact. QR has a superior J product, possibly the best in the world, which has now attracted a host of awards. Were I AAB, I might just sit tight for a while and see how load factors go for the next few months. Plus, the possibility of military activity in Iran in the near future could lead to some realigning and a possible end to, or modification of, the blockade, which could generate a ton of passengers/revenue for QR.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Good point about the lounge food. As my experience has led me to conclude that Qatar Airways Lounge at CDG produces a much more appetizing menu than AM or AS in Doha. Heck, they cook the steak on site to your preference!
Dr. HFH likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:11 pm

On Qatar Airways World's Best Business Class, there is a choice of hot or cold towels, served on a towel plate. Sometimes they will remember your choice the next time they serve the towels. Usually it's only hot towel served on a towel plate in Business Class on ANA, EVA Air & Garuda Indonesia or with a pair of tongs like on Emirates & Singapore Airlines, even in First Class.

I fully agree that Qatar Airways is the world's best airline, world's best business class, best business class seat. Some of the airlines are simply overrated, for example Singapore Airlines. Look at the way the caviar in First Class is being served on Qatar Airways and Singapore Airlines. Qatar Airways has 2 mother-of-pearl-spoon, Singapore Airlines don't have! The gap between them is TOO BIG!!

The world's most OVERRATED airline - Singapore Airlines
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:37 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I don't know... Singapore Airlines may be overrated, but I don't see how Qatar is not overrated as such.

To me Qsuite has lost it's gimmick, the food and service on QR these days can be a hit or miss, until recently they've been serving really poor champagne, and so on. I couldn't care less about hot or cold towel choices, and I'm happy as long as they use some logic in these things. JL for instance hands out cold towels when it's hot outside and hot towels when inflight or otherwise.

Qsuite may be great for Business, but the footwell is rather tight in my opinion, and transiting in Doha can be a mess. I just feel like the offering has been going downhill recently...

My friend was telling me the other day how he flew QR for the first time, and in J class too, and he said of the service too be quite poor on both legs and of the food to be poor as well. The plot twist is that he preferred BA J over QR J.

Edit: aside from Lao Airlines (which turned out to be much better than what one ought to expect), I'd say BA is really underrated given all the hate they get... They're actually not as poor as people make them out to be, and I'd say their food in particular has been very good as of late.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clubeurope
I couldn't care less about hot or cold towel choices, and I'm happy as long as they use some logic in these things. JL for instance hands out cold towels when it's hot outside and hot towels when inflight or otherwise.
But isn't that the point? Give the passenger choices? I, for example, always want a hot towel, regardless of the ambient temperature.

... transiting in Doha can be a mess.
I'm curious about your experience here; as I find Doha to be one of the easier airports to transit. What type of problems did you experience?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:57 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Is the LHR Qatar lounge not up there? Proper dining, better than AM for sure
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
I don't know... Singapore Airlines may be overrated, but I don't see how Qatar is not overrated as such.

To me Qsuite has lost it's gimmick, the food and service on QR these days can be a hit or miss, until recently they've been serving really poor champagne, and so on. I couldn't care less about hot or cold towel choices, and I'm happy as long as they use some logic in these things. JL for instance hands out cold towels when it's hot outside and hot towels when inflight or otherwise.

Qsuite may be great for Business, but the footwell is rather tight in my opinion, and transiting in Doha can be a mess. I just feel like the offering has been going downhill recently...

My friend was telling me the other day how he flew QR for the first time, and in J class too, and he said of the service too be quite poor on both legs and of the food to be poor as well. The plot twist is that he preferred BA J over QR J.

Edit: aside from Lao Airlines (which turned out to be much better than what one ought to expect), I'd say BA is really underrated given all the hate they get... They're actually not as poor as people make them out to be, and I'd say their food in particular has been very good as of late.
LOL Business on BA better than Qatar? Thats a joke. I have flown the new club suites a couple of weeks ago on the new A350 and they were lovely; but they felt like a cramped version of the Q Suites. If he was comparing an international flight in Club Suites to QSuites then maybe.. maybe I would say they are closer but standard Club World compared to Qatar?

No way! He should see a shrink :P

The service I had in April on Qatar from Budapest to Doha to Tokyo and back was amazing. Great food; great drinks and super attentive cabin crew. One or two I may have wanted to marry lol but regardless I slept 8 hours on the 13 hour Tokyo to Doha flight and had great food and service. One of the reasons in the end I decided to go to Singapore instead of New York was because flying Qatar was so good.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Spinstorm
... I slept 8 hours on the 13 hour Tokyo to Doha flight

13 hours?

I guess the captain decided to go the long way round so you could get your sleep
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
But isn't that the point? Give the passenger choices? I, for example, always want a hot towel, regardless of the ambient temperature.
That's a fair point.

I'm curious about your experience here; as I find Doha to be one of the easier airports to transit. What type of problems did you experience?
This is a fun one. When everything is functioning, Doha can be great, especially on less tight connections. Yet, it can be a mess on those short, late night connections. One happens arrives in a remote stand, waits sometime to be bussed to the terminal, only to find that security is packed, rushes to the gate at the far end on the concourse just as the flight is about to close. This happens to me whenever I take those late night connection of 1h30m or less, which looks great on paper, but awful in practice for some reasons.

I just feel that the airport feels way too crowded, for there are always throngs of people blocking your way.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Spinstorm
LOL Business on BA better than Qatar? Thats a joke. I have flown the new club suites a couple of weeks ago on the new A350 and they were lovely; but they felt like a cramped version of the Q Suites. If he was comparing an international flight in Club Suites to QSuites then maybe.. maybe I would say they are closer but standard Club World compared to Qatar?

No way! He should see a shrink :P

The service I had in April on Qatar from Budapest to Doha to Tokyo and back was amazing. Great food; great drinks and super attentive cabin crew. One or two I may have wanted to marry lol but regardless I slept 8 hours on the 13 hour Tokyo to Doha flight and had great food and service. One of the reasons in the end I decided to go to Singapore instead of New York was because flying Qatar was so good.
This is my friend telling me, not myself :P He flew on the BA yinyang seats on the upper deck of the 747, and really liked the lack of footwells, and particularly lauded the quality of the Do&Co food. I have had the Do&Co food myself and thought of it to be excellent as well.

As I said, service on Qatar can be a hit or miss. It can be really great, downright indifferent, or quite poor. In fairness, I've had some really excellent crews (who frequently checking up if everything is alright) though I have also had really indifferent crews (forgetting your request, or your food, etc). The non-alcoholic drinks imo has always been great, but the food is a different story.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a fun one. When everything is functioning, Doha can be great, especially on less tight connections. Yet, it can be a mess on those short, late night connections. One happens arrives in a remote stand, waits sometime to be bussed to the terminal, only to find that security is packed, rushes to the gate at the far end on the concourse just as the flight is about to close. This happens to me whenever I take those late night connection of 1h30m or less, which looks great on paper, but awful in practice for some reasons.
Don't forget that if you're in J or F, you can use the separate security areas for transit.

I just feel that the airport feels way too crowded, for there are always throngs of people blocking your way.
There's a reason that the airport always feels crowded!
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:16 pm

This is my friend telling me, not myself :P He flew on the BA yinyang seats on the upper deck of the 747, and really liked the lack of footwells, and particularly lauded the quality of the Do&Co food. I have had the Do&Co food myself and thought of it to be excellent as well.

As I said, service on Qatar can be a hit or miss. It can be really great, downright indifferent, or quite poor. In fairness, I've had some really excellent crews (who frequently checking up if everything is alright) though I have also had really indifferent crews (forgetting your request, or your food, etc). The non-alcoholic drinks imo has always been great, but the food is a different story.
I find the service on Qatar is very good and consistent. Polite, polished, friendly, professional. Never show annoying face or roll eyes like on other airlines. They don't talk bad about passengers among themselves like the crew on Singapore Airlines.

The inflight manager and cabin crew will come and greet you before the flight and before landing. Makes you feel special.

Food & presentation is excellent. Menu has pictures of the entire bottle of wine. Pictures of food was so nice and attractive.

Only bad thing about Qatar Airways is no free playing cards, no inflight duty free shopping and very famous for last minute plane swoop.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
I've always seen in-flight duty-free every flight, but they don't push it, is all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.