Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Have I just made an awful mistake?? [Booking QR Y]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have I just made an awful mistake?? [Booking QR Y]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
[QUOTE=Funky Spike;31196089]
Upgrades aren't unknown, I got one DOH-MEL.
/QUOTE]

Thats very lucky! J on Oz/Nz routes is usually packed and of course on such a long flight you must have felt particularly grateful! I think upgrades remain very rare so op certainly shouldn’t count on one though as you prove there is indeed such a thing as a lucky day some times!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
[QUOTE=orbitmic;31196202]
Originally Posted by Funky Spike
Upgrades aren't unknown, I got one DOH-MEL.
/QUOTE]

Thats very lucky! J on Oz/Nz routes is usually packed and of course on such a long flight you must have felt particularly grateful! I think upgrades remain very rare so op certainly shouldn’t count on one though as you prove there is indeed such a thing as a lucky day some times!
I did indeed do a little happy dance and was exceedingly grateful and it was completely unexpected.
As I was only going for the weekend it did rather set the tone for a fantastic few days (and nights).

Spike
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:50 pm

Good news. Hundreds of thousands of people fly economy long haul every day. I'm sure OP will survive without drama.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Why should you have to survive 13 hours? QR never flies to MLE from anywhere for a 13 hour flight. They fly from DOH only and its maximum of around 4 to 4 and half hours. As a BA gold you will get your lounge too. If you are flying from LHR to DOH is it probably around 7 hours and then you get a break at DOH.
QR Y is the same as most other Y too. The food is decent and you get as many as you want unless you are drunk. The movie selection is good too and the service is good. As a One World Gold member you probably get a better choice of seating too and it is full the chance of Upgrade is better than someone without a Gold.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Maldives and Economy; the modern day, first world oxymoron
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
It sounds like OP is wondering what if any recognition other BA Golds have gotten on QR.
They'd have the same recognition any other OWE gets on any other OW airline. That was a tenuous thread, at best, by which to slot it in the BA forum.

Regards
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:09 pm

I am not sure how some people survive flying the likes of QR Y!

It could be worse, you could be in BA Y.

In all seriousness, I am not sure what this post is getting at. QR Y is a perfectly fine experience. I fly their 787 in Y regularly and to be honest, it is perfectly comfortable, FAs are great and you will probably get even more recognition for being a OneWorld Emerald than you would on BA.

I am not really sure what the point of this thread is or why it is not in the QR forum.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Typical sound bite politics and you take a sentence out of my post completely out of context to arrive at the wrong conclusion.

As you can see (or maybe not ???), I offered many reasons to avoid/dislike QR in Y both in the air and at their home base. The fact that the Country also has many other dubious practices is not my basis for not liking the airline I just happened to mention it.
Well, I guess I could have dwelled more on your apparent need for extra alcohol, the seat pitch (which is no worse than a BA 787), QR lounges or Y food and IFE (which is the same IFE in all classes). But instead what stuck out was your need to "couple this with slavery for immigrants" etc and your apparent HATRED of QR.

So I don't believe the sentence was out of context as you chose to "couple it" with your other comments, meaning that by definition you have clearly chosen to make it a part of your overall argument.

Last edited by PAL62V; Jun 12, 2019 at 5:43 pm
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
It sounds like OP is wondering what if any recognition other BA Golds have gotten on QR.
This was exactly why I posted in the BA forum, but maybe wasn't clear enough.... my bad.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by wb1969
Economy on QR is as good as it gets. Good service. Acceptable food. Normally a few spare seats to stretch one’s legs. No complaints from any of the flights I’ve done.
Totally agree. I have never had any problems getting extra drinks. I mainly fly J now but 40% in Y.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: QF WP
Having done QR in Y and J, I preferred the service in Y. Helped by the fact that on the “long” flight (PER-DOH and vv) there was enough space for most of us to have a full row of seats. Food obviously very middle eastern but perfectly nice. IFE what I used of it was fine. Was on 777 all 4 legs and the J leg so
can’t comment on the Dreamliner. Only legitimate whinge is the lounge and even then i’m drawing a long bow. If it’s sufficiently bad to upset you just cut your losses and go find a bar/restaurant you like the look of

i don’t really like how they treat their staff either but as others have said, EK/CX/ even the like of BA/QF have issues. If I want to fly anywhere ever it’s just something I have to wear
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40
This was exactly why I posted in the BA forum, but maybe wasn't clear enough.... my bad.
I've had zero recognition of BA gold status on QR except for once being upgraded at the gate from J to F on an A380 DOH-BKK, which was very nice indeed.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armouredant
I've had zero recognition of BA gold status on QR except for once being upgraded at the gate from J to F on an A380 DOH-BKK, which was very nice indeed.
Im going in with expectation of no recognition and then anything above that is a bonus. How do QR get away with not allowing OWE in their first class lounges? Surely that is the perk of OWE?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40
Im going in with expectation of no recognition and then anything above that is a bonus. How do QR get away with not allowing OWE in their first class lounges? Surely that is the perk of OWE?
how does BA get away with not allowing OWE in the Concorde room?

both are taking advantage of the same clause
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants

how does BA get away with not allowing OWE in the Concorde room?

both are taking advantage of the same clause
That is a very good point and one I had not thought about. My only counter-argument is that they offer three lounges - Business (Club) and First Class Lounge and CCR. So OWE are getting access to a First Class Lounge. Where QR send you to a non-first class lounge at DOH even though they have a first class lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.