Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Have I just made an awful mistake?? [Booking QR Y]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold

As per the title, am I going to regret this decision in just over a weeks time? I have just booked a Y trip to the Maldives on QR. I have not flown them for many years (4/5 years) and even then one leg was in J. Am I going to regret this for 13 hours of Y. My only hope is that my flights are on the A350-1000 and 900.
I am BA Gold so not sure how much Qatar recognises Gold and or provide any benefits.

I guess plenty of snacks, and movies/TV box sets may just help a little
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Did you book with Avios? If you did, and you conclude that you have made an awful mistake, you can cancel for an almost full refund until 24 hours before the first flight in your itinerary. (But as a BA Gold, you knew that already.)

If you didn't, then I'm not sure what connection this has to BA or the BA board.
Dan72 and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Without being harsh this reads like a "Look at me i'm going to the Maldives" post,or at the least, a tad entitled.

Most people going to the Maldives from the UK fly economy, and for most of them it's a holiday / honeymoon of a lifetime.

I'm not sure how it could possibly be an awful mistake unless you had to borrow from an East End loan shark to pay for it.

QR in economy is as good as it gets, i've done 8 flights in the last year on them, i'm 6ft6, and I survived. If it does come to pass that you think it's an awful mistake, let me know and we'll check the name change penalties on the ticket.
SK, bbbb, indomie and 13 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Unless you are on a 787 it will be fine
Mordac likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Did you not do your research and look at the QR website and offering before booking your flights with them?

If you did then how could it have been a mistake? If you didn't then that's your fault.

You will get OW status benefits based on your status such as lounge access / additional baggage allowance / priority boarding. It's not going to get you an upgrade.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
What in the world does this have to do with British Airways?

Regards
:D! likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Personally, I hate QR. Most love them and that's probably because they fly J which I have never done with QR.

Main reasons to hate QR in Y and I have only flown on the 777

Seat pitch awful - like most airlines
Crew refuse point blank to give you 2 cans of beer when they do the first drinks run and give the excuse that they will happily give you more just not 2 at a time (and of course the next drinks run is like an hour away and much easier just to give 2 at the beginning - petty)
Lounge in Qatar if you are emerald etc is dreadful. QR don't give you access to their nice lounges unless you are flying premium with them.
Food awful (also like most airlines in Y)
IFE in Y is unmemorable.
Compared to EK there is absolutely no contest down the back (EK an 8 or a 9 and QR probably a 2)
Couple this with (non airline related) slavery for immigrants, cr*p airline immigration procedures....I hate the airline and the place

Last edited by moral_low_ground; Jun 12, 2019 at 10:58 am
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Personally, I hate QR. SNIP
Couple this with (non airline related) slavery for immigrants, cr*p airline immigration procedures....I hate the airline and the place
Well if you're going to hate an airline for the dubious practices of the country under which it flies, that takes out UA, AA, BA, VS, TK, all Chinese airlines, Aeroflot, most other ME airlines - plus another few dozen.
NoY, trooper, kimberlyrose and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
This should be moved to the QR forum, no place in the BA one surely!
Andriyko and PAL62V like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Well if you're going to hate an airline for the dubious practices of the country under which it flies, that takes out UA, AA, BA, VS, TK, all Chinese airlines, Aeroflot, most other ME airlines - plus another few dozen.
Typical sound bite politics and you take a sentence out of my post completely out of context to arrive at the wrong conclusion.

As you can see (or maybe not ???), I offered many reasons to avoid/dislike QR in Y both in the air and at their home base. The fact that the Country also has many other dubious practices is not my basis for not liking the airline I just happened to mention it.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Economy on QR is as good as it gets. Good service. Acceptable food. Normally a few spare seats to stretch one’s legs. No complaints from any of the flights I’ve done.
IndyHoosier and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Yes you’ll probably die from the experience or something. All of us who regularly fly long haul Y arrive dead as ghosts as is well known, and your flights - about 6 and 5 hours in the world’s most modern and comfortable aircraft are ‘almost’ as ultra long as say SYD or AKL. Seriously if you worry about this trip, then If you ask me, you are just spoilt...
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by scubadu
What in the world does this have to do with British Airways?

Regards
It sounds like OP is wondering what if any recognition other BA Golds have gotten on QR.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
You'll survive. Thousands do every day.
You'll have lounge access.
You'll be able to reserve seats near the front of the cabin.
On a last minute trip to MEL at the end of April I had no trouble getting a drink when I wanted one, and I wanted a few.
Upgrades aren't unknown, I got one DOH-MEL.
I got a "thank you for flying with us" on 3 of 4 sectors and was asked for my meal choice first on 2 of 3 Y sectors.

Spike
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
as a frequent QR customer I can confirm the lounges for Y or upgraded J is awful (Gold or Emerald same crap).
Food is subpar in Y and better with i.e. SQ or EK ....

About upgrade, never got one... As silver gold or emerald with QR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.