Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer security check at DOH or not

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Yes, but it is a fairly long list (the very fact that it includes the likes of BKK, which would not be considered on the "safe" airport list for security check purposes by most other countries gives a sense of the breadth).

I'm also not aware of any systematicity within that list, so am surprised by perceptions that some origins get it more often than others and I wonder if this might just be an artefact of frequencies (ie there are many flights a day to BKK or SIN so invariably, there is a bigger chance one of them will get on the list compared to destinations served with a single daily flight).

The only other influencing element I can think of is that even though I'm happy to be corrected if others' experience has been different, in my case, I have only had the security bypass from contact gates so destinations often using bus gates may be mechanically less likely to benefit.
I'm just curious why you say that BKK wouldn't be considered safe most other countries?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by kl1987
I'm just curious why you say that BKK wouldn't be considered safe most other countries?
It was just a factual/experiential statement. I don't really know why, but it just isn't. For airports which allow continuation of transfer passengers without rescreening (AMS, MUC, now FRA, etc), flights from the EU, US, Canada, Israel, I believe SIN and Japan and a few others go through without rescreening but if you arrive from BKK flights you have to rescreen.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:56 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by orbitmic
It was just a factual/experiential statement. I don't really know why, but it just isn't. For airports which allow continuation of transfer passengers without rescreening (AMS, MUC, now FRA, etc), flights from the EU, US, Canada, Israel, I believe SIN and Japan and a few others go through without rescreening but if you arrive from BKK flights you have to rescreen.
While the list is totally random, there is also a degree of profiling based on the security machines used at the outbound airport; where passengers may have flown in from; where passengers are heading (hence the US bound flights have occasional tertiary security screening at HIA); whether any particular passenger is on a Watch-List etc.

It's all pretty complicated with a computer system deciphering which planes are sent through secondary screening.

M
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC
I've picked up from previous discussion that it's a plane by plane decision, rather than origin decision for the day. Whilst BKK might be on the 'list' one day, not all planes from BKK that day will be permitted to transfer without security.

And as far as I have been able to gather a bus gate does eliminate any chance of not being transfer screened - the escalators go up three levels from the bus gate arrivals lobby, no obvious option go up two levels to the main departure hall although I am sure there is a way staff could pick out certain passengers on a short transfer.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:42 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by plunet
I've picked up from previous discussion that it's a plane by plane decision, rather than origin decision for the day. Whilst BKK might be on the 'list' one day, not all planes from BKK that day will be permitted to transfer without security.

And as far as I have been able to gather a bus gate does eliminate any chance of not being transfer screened - the escalators go up three levels from the bus gate arrivals lobby, no obvious option go up two levels to the main departure hall although I am sure there is a way staff could pick out certain passengers on a short transfer.
Bus gates definitely mean secondary security unfortunately, and even on a short transfer I've had it (they just push you to the front of the queue).

M
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:54 pm
SSY

Programs: CX Go
Hi all,

I am considering booking a DONE4 round the world ticket that will connect through Doha.

Likely routing will be JNB-Doha->europe.

Some questions regarding the transfer (if there is a security check)

- Are these security checks your standard boarding security checks (screen carry on and personal baggage) etc. Are there any residual electronics rules from 2 yrs ago or laptops cameras normal batteries are fine? I will be carrying photography equipment albeit nothing crazy.

- if checked what should my minimum transfer time be when booking these flights to be sure I make the flights? assume all qatar airways flight onward to europe.

- apart from security does one need to clear customs with checked bags if just not intending to leave the airport? For example if I want to bring some alcohol back in the checked luggage would I need to deal with qatar customs on those if just transiting?

- additionally perhaps a bit technical but if I book as two separate segments in my RTW itinerary, would I be able to check through my bags from JNB to my final europe destination? or do i need to book as one segment with a connecting flight?

thanks
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi there

These are standard security checks. Electronics and liquids out of your bag. They are not the most picky of security checks. It's a little bit chaotic due to the lack of unpacking and packing space but generally it moves quickly. No specific arrangements for electronics that are out if the norm for airport security.

The airport MCT is 45 mins. If you book a connection at MCT you need to be prepared to move as it can take 15-20 mins to get from one end of the airport to the other. 60mins is better and at 90mins is now leisurely assuming you have no other requirements like lounge time or shopping.

No need to go anywhere near customs or immigration if you are not leaving the airport.

You can book as two segments as it is QR policy to check through baggage onto separately ticketed OneWorld sectors, which would of course include itself. However although bags would go through and QRs ontime performance is generally good, you need to self insure against a misconnect. QR would have no obligation to assist if you missed your 2nd sector on separate tickets, although you might hope in practice they would help, contractually there is no obligation.

HTH
msm2000uk and SSY like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SSY
I am considering booking a DONE4 round the world ticket that will connect through Doha.
I get the impression that you haven't done a lot of OWE tickets before. No worries, there's lots of experience with this product in FT; but you'll find more of it in the One World forum.

Originally Posted by SSY
Likely routing will be JNB-Doha->europe.
And after that? It can make a difference.

Originally Posted by SSY
- additionally perhaps a bit technical but if I book as two separate segments in my RTW itinerary,...
I don't understand this. Two separate segments?

Originally Posted by SSY
... would I be able to check through my bags from JNB to my final europe destination?
Do you mean check on a series of connecting flights until your itinerary hits a >24 hour stop?

Can you give us some idea of your itinerary? Where are you stopping? Checking bags on a One World Explorer ticket can be tricky. Depending on how long your stops are (mine tend to be two or three longer stops with the rest being essentially MRs), your bags can end up chasing you around the world if there's a problem. I ONLY check bags on a One World Explorer ticket if it's just for one flight. Your consideration will be different if you're staying in one (or several) places for an extended period of time. But be careful. IME checking bags on this type of ticket is a real opportunity for something to go wrong.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:54 am
SSY

ive done OWE tickets in the past, but not via DOH.

my question here really just related to Doha airport transfer experience as I am unfamiliar.

As I've wanted to try QR but had no interest in visiting DOH, I had almost booked a Doha routing in a previous OWE ticket, but changed after Trump said something about Qatar that week, and routed another way to my needed destination. this time i have a stronger preference to route through DOH

- regarding segments, i just have the habit of using the OWE online tool of only booking the direct flights all as separate segments. so say my objective is JNB->CPH, via DOH, I would always put in JNB-DOH, DOH-CPH on the online tool, rather than JNB-CPH and pick the flight that connects via DOH. this is just a habit because the online tool is so sht and it helps track the segment count and etc properly as Im using it.

So the question there is that if I have those two segments booked with say a 2-4 hours gap in DOH, can i check my bags in @ JNB to CPH and then also not worry about any customs specific to Qatar (a few bottles wine or etc in the checked luggage).
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:08 am
SSY

[QUOTE=plunet;31207239]Hi there

These are standard security checks. Electronics and liquids out of your bag. They are not the most picky of security checks. It's a little bit chaotic due to the lack of unpacking and packing space but generally it moves quickly. No specific arrangements for electronics that are out if the norm for airport security.

The airport MCT is 45 mins. If you book a connection at MCT you need to be prepared to move as it can take 15-20 mins to get from one end of the airport to the other. 60mins is better and at 90mins is now leisurely assuming you have no other requirements like lounge time or shopping.

No need to go anywhere near customs or immigration if you are not leaving the airport.

You can book as two segments as it is QR policy to check through baggage onto separately ticketed OneWorld sectors, which would of course include itself. However although bags would go through and QRs ontime performance is generally good, you need to self insure against a misconnect. QR would have no obligation to assist if you missed your 2nd sector on separate tickets, although you might hope in practice they would help, contractually there is no obligation.

thanks!

on the flip side, if i had like 4 hour+ gap scheduled in the airport, would I be able to check through baggage from JNB to Europe (say CPH in this case as that is my current plan) on separate segments of a rtw trip? ie that there is no maximum connection time for checking things through. I would assume yes but just checking.

And regarding your comment on selfinsuring against a misconnect - does that mean if i booked the JNB-DOH-CPH on my rtw as a transfer I just get a bit more assurance from QR to help in case of some delay?

(i apologize if im messing up the terminology here - but what im referring to is that on the oneworld rtw online tool I pick JNB-CPH, and pick the flight that has Doha as a stop, vs what I asked before, which is booking JNB-DOH DOH-CPH separately on the tool.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SSY
... say my objective is JNB->CPH, via DOH,....
Assuming a multi-day stop in CPH, you should have no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.