Optimizing Q Credits

Old Jun 9, 19, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Optimizing Q Credits

What has been peoples best use of either 40 or 60 Qpoints?

I am looking to use my 60 in the next 3 months before they expire and will fly from Doha but I cant decide to where? I do not really want to go to Europe though that seems the best option as I can upgrade in theory both legs for 56.
Old Jun 11, 19, 7:12 am

Programs: QRPC
You could do an open jaw for example: DOH-PEK & DAC-DOH which costs you 33+24=57 QCredits to upgrade from Economy to Business if there is availability on those flights. (Promo fares are not eligible for upgrades)
I use ba.com to check for upgrade availability... (check before you book!)

Otherwise you could also upgrade my upcoming ZRH-DOH booking... hehe
Old Jun 13, 19, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
haha thanks forthe brilliant suggestion, i may need to think our of the box for this one!! its really annoying there is no chart with the values as you just have to keep trying different combos.
Old Jul 20, 19, 2:19 am

Frustrated.. I am one QCREDIT short for an upgrade.

I fired off an e-mail to QR and explained I am one QCREDIT short to upgrade to J from BKK - DOHA

Got this reply - Thank you for writing to Privilege Club. We value your business. We wish we could add 1 Qcredit for you to make use of available 32 Qcredits but regrettably, we will be unable to add 1 Qcredit however, you may use Qmiles instead. We thank you for your understanding and co-operation in this regard.

I have been Platinum with QR for 4 years.
Old Jul 20, 19, 4:01 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by no7agency View Post

I fired off an e-mail to QR and explained I am one QCREDIT short to upgrade to J from BKK - DOHA

Got this reply - Thank you for writing to Privilege Club. We value your business. We wish we could add 1 Qcredit for you to make use of available 32 Qcredits but regrettably, we will be unable to add 1 Qcredit however, you may use Qmiles instead. We thank you for your understanding and co-operation in this regard.

The new Qcredit chart introduced in May 2018 was really disapointing as must of platinum members flying from western Europe to Asia could not use anymore their 60 Qcredits to upgrade 2 separated flights Europe-DOH (28 Qcredits instead of 25) and DOH-Asia (33 Qcredits instead of 30) but instead have to use them only for upgrading 2 DOH-Europe flights or 2 combined Europe-DOH-Asia flights (46 Qcredits in total).
And QR is not known for bending the rules, even for 1 Qmiles or 1 Qcredit...
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Jul 20, 19, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by no7agency View Post

So you're disappointed that they won't waive the program's rules for you? If they are going to waive the rules, why have them at all? You've heard of the slippery slope, yes?
Old Jul 20, 19, 6:13 am

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
Qcredits are worth very little since last year's devaluation, i also discovered recently that changing date on a flight upgraded with Qcredits will incur the loss of the upgrade and corresponding Qcredits. As i made a one week date error in a booking, i lost the 39 Qcredits used to upgrade one leg... Now happily rebooked with Turkish Airlines..
NoY and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Jul 20, 19, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
So you're disappointed that they won't waive the program's rules for you? If they are going to waive the rules, why have them at all? You've heard of the slippery slope, yes?
No Not now!!

All sorted... thank you.

Being frustrated about a situation is one thing, expecting an airline to bend the rules is another.
Dr. HFH likes this.
Old Jul 20, 19, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Alfredbali View Post
Qcredits are worth very little since last year's devaluation, i also discovered recently that changing date on a flight upgraded with Qcredits will incur the loss of the upgrade and corresponding Qcredits. As i made a one week date error in a booking, i lost the 39 Qcredits used to upgrade one leg... Now happily rebooked with Turkish Airlines..
That really sucks!
Old Jul 28, 19, 12:21 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Lightbulb Data point

Originally Posted by AbuCordoba View Post
What has been people's best use of either 40 or 60 Qpoints?

I am looking to use my 60 in the next 3 months before they expire and will fly from Doha but I can't decide to where?
I do not really want to go to Europe though that seems the best option as I can upgrade in theory both legs for 56.
Sorry I can't really help you as I'm based in Asia, and for us a long flight to the USA (JFK or LAX) is the best use of ourQcredits (55 for JFK & 60 for LAX)
IMO - I think that Europe is the best solution for you (LHR/PARIS for the A380/Qsuites)
Good luck & let us know what you decided on ^

Originally Posted by Alfredbali View Post
Qcredits are worth very little since last year's devaluation, i also discovered recently that changing date on a flight upgraded with Qcredits will incur the loss of the upgrade and corresponding Qcredits. As i made a one week date error in a booking, i lost the 39 Qcredits used to upgrade one leg... Now happily re-booked with Turkish Airlines..
Sorry to hear about the loss of your upgrade but that's part of the rules though it must still suck ..
I didn't make the change for my upgraded flights when I learnt of it & just stuck to the originally booked itin.
As for TK - how's that working out for you?
I believe their 777's are in 2-3-2 config. & they don't yet fly the A350 or 787's ... but I've heard that the food on-board is awesome & the new airport + lounge is gorgeous.
They have some awesome fares to Europe ex-CGK at the moment ...

Originally Posted by Matt4 View Post
The new Qcredit chart introduced in May 2018 was really disappointing as must of platinum members flying from western Europe to Asia could not use anymore their 60 Qcredits to upgrade 2 separated flights Europe-DOH (28 Qcredits instead of 25) and DOH-Asia (33 Qcredits instead of 30) but instead have to use them only for upgrading 2 DOH-Europe flights or 2 combined Europe-DOH-Asia flights (46 Qcredits in total).
And QR is not known for bending the rules, even for 1 Qmiles or 1 Qcredit...
Yes it totally sucks but I've found that booking a Saver fare & upgrading to J using (almost all my) Qmiles & Qcredits (and my friend's Qcredits too) to be the best use of the QRPC benefits.

I've booked the following for 2020 -
JFK-SIN (MARCH)
JFK-HKT (MAY)

Both flights were under $800 (USD) each & I've managed to upgrade to J on all but 4 sectors @ HKT-DOH-HKT & JFK-DOH-SIN
When I've got enough Qmiles next month, I will upgrade 1 sector DOH-HKT / vice versa (online if still avail.) or DOH-SIN @ the airport
(I'm currently short of 3,500, though I could transfer them from my family's account but that's just silly)

And after April, I'll use 33 Qcredits to upgrade DOH-HKT / vice versa
I've come to terms that I'll be flying JFK-DOH & 1 leg of DOH-HKT or HKT-DOH in whY
Old Jun 18, 20, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Splendiz View Post
I use ba.com to check for upgrade availability... (check before you book!)
Just to confirm: is the consensus that this is a reliable way to check Qcredit upgrade space? Partner award space (appearing on ba.com, aa.com, cx.com) = upgrade space for Qcredits? Would really suck to buy the Y ticket and then find out the space you see online is not available to Qcredit upgrades.
Tony922 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 20, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by svellmann View Post
Just to confirm: is the consensus that this is a reliable way to check Qcredit upgrade space? Partner award space (appearing on ba.com, aa.com, cx.com) = upgrade space for Qcredits? Would really suck to buy the Y ticket and then find out the space you see online is not available to Qcredit upgrades.
Do QCredit upgrades come out of the same fare code as QMile updates? If so, recent posts in the Newbie Lounge indicate it can be checked directly on QR.
Old Jun 19, 20, 3:59 am

Europe to Australia one-way is 55 points.
Europe to Doha return is 56 points.
Old Jun 27, 20, 6:13 am

Programs: LATAM PASS B.SignatureAIR EUROPA PLATINUM, AZ FAP CLUB, TK ELITE, AV DIAMOND, HILTON DIAMOND, GULF G
Hi,

Is there any way in QRPC to combine the qcredits of two Platinum holders. We are flying from CDG to NRT, that means a total of 48 Qcredits, My partner and I will have 12 qcredits each of us remaining in our accounts (60-48). As you know, 12 qcredits almost worth nothing for those of us based in Europe. I was thinking about the possibility of merging them. For example, an upgrade for ATH-DOH leg costs 24 qcredits. If we book a flight in this route, one of us can upgrade with qcredits and the other one with qmiles or paying by cash.

Is it possible to do so, if we are in the same booking? In other words, take 12 credits from one account and 12 from the other

Thanks
Old Jun 27, 20, 9:55 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by statusunlimited View Post
Hi,

Is there any way in QRPC to combine the qcredits of two Platinum holders. We are flying from CDG to NRT, that means a total of 48 Qcredits, My partner and I will have 12 qcredits each of us remaining in our accounts (60-48). As you know, 12 qcredits almost worth nothing for those of us based in Europe. I was thinking about the possibility of merging them. For example, an upgrade for ATH-DOH leg costs 24 qcredits. If we book a flight in this route, one of us can upgrade with qcredits and the other one with qmiles or paying by cash.

Is it possible to do so, if we are in the same booking? In other words, take 12 credits from one account and 12 from the other

Thanks
Not sure about combining Qcredits but the qcalculator on QR website gives me 46 qcredits for CDG-NRT one way not 48...😊

Search this Thread
Search Engine: