Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Sleep close to Doha airport to kill 8 hour layover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN

Hi

Maybe you would be able to help me with your experience?

I am thinking about booking a cheaper flight with 8 hour layover. Arriving in Doha at 00:30 and continue with the next flight again at 08:00.

I assume that the bags are checked to the final destination. Trying to gauge how many hours I get to really sleep or at least laydown. How much time would I need to calculate to get to a hotel in the city and back again in time for boarding? Immigration in the night and security checks in the morning to consider.

Alternatively are the really good resting chairs in the airport somewhere without lounge access?

Thanks
Old May 15, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Ive used the Doubletree in Doha, Its about 15 mins in an uber , you could get 5-6 hours decent sleep , then uber back to the airport with time for breakfast and early boarding
Old May 15, 2019, 9:55 am

There is a hotel at the airport in the transit area. They charge silly prices though - Around 300USD.

The airport is quite busy at those times because of the banks of flights operated by Qatar all leave at the same time. Still, I reckon you could get off the plane, pass immigration and be in the arrivals hall in 30-45 minutes. As you'll already have a boarding pass and your luggage already checked in, I think arriving at the airport 60 minutes before departure should be enough.

The closest hotel outside the airport is probably the Oryx Rotana which is 5* and goes for 100-125 USD per night. They also have a free transfer bus to the airport. If you stayed there, you'd probably get four-five hours sleep maximum.

To be honest, I wouldn't stay eight hours at the airport - but there will be many doing just that. They do have quiet resting areas. Whether it's worth it is up to you though.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by s5804
Hi

I am thinking about booking a cheaper flight with 8 hour layover. Arriving in Doha at 00:30 and continue with the next flight again at 08:00.

I assume that the bags are checked to the final destination. Trying to gauge how many hours I get to really sleep or at least laydown. How much time would I need to calculate to get to a hotel in the city and back again in time for boarding? Immigration in the night and security checks in the morning to consider.

Alternatively are the really good resting chairs in the airport somewhere without lounge access?

Thanks
If you are in economy, then you'll have no priority for immigration clearance. That could easily take an hour if they are busy: add in the reverse process when you leave (unlikely to be quite so long, but still a concern). Add in the travel time and the hotel processing time, with just seven hours available to do it all, it's notgoing to be a restful experience!

stay airside. Walk about a bit, plenty to see: get something in a cafe. You'll find plenty places to relax in the airport. Not beds and not dark, but there always seem to be plenty empty gate areas with reasonably comfortable seating.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by s5804
Hi

Thanks
If you are in economy, then you'll have no priority for immigration clearance. That could easily take an hour if they are busy: add in the reverse process when you leave (unlikely to be quite so long, but still a concern). Add in the travel time and the hotel processing time, with just seven hours available to do it all, it's notgoing to be a restful experience!

stay airside. Walk about a bit, plenty to see: get something in a cafe. You'll find plenty places to relax in the airport. Not beds and not dark, but there always seem to be plenty empty gate areas with reasonably comfortable seating.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Thanks everybody. It really helps to prepare.

Much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.