Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Can you upfare a business class ticket to first?

Old May 12, 19, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold

Does QR allow passengers to "upfare" tickets? In other words, if I buy a business ticket, can I then call later, after it is ticketed and paid for, and pay the difference to change to a first class ticket without paying a change/cancellation fee?

I know I can do this on AA - didn't know if QR allows it.

The reason I'm asking is that my client requires that I buy business, but first doesn't cost much more. I'd gladly pay the difference out of my own pocket but I need to show a business class ticket receipt for reimbursement.

I'm AA Executive Platinum (Oneworld Emerald) if that matters. Thanks!
Old May 12, 19, 7:23 pm

Programs: NZ
It depends on the rules of the fare you purchased. Some fares wave any change fees if you upgrade to a higher class, while others do not so you would pay the fare difference and the change fee. Also it may not be possible to upgrade to the cheapest F fare you are seeing on the website - it depends on the combinability of the two fares.

Really the only way to find out is to either try changing online or calling them.
Old May 12, 19, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
What route are you trying to upfare? A route from DOH?

If the above advice fails, can't the OP visit the upgrade desk at DOH?
Old May 12, 19, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
Does QR allow passengers to "upfare" tickets? In other words, if I buy a business ticket, can I then call later, after it is ticketed and paid for, and pay the difference to change to a first class ticket without paying a change/cancellation fee?
I've done this. The routing was the cheapest then available Y roundtrip BOS-BKK. On the return, I wanted to upgrade to business. There was no change fee, although the fare difference was non-trivial.
Old May 15, 19, 9:55 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, BAEC blue Skywards Silver Accor classic
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
I've done this. The routing was the cheapest then available Y roundtrip BOS-BKK. On the return, I wanted to upgrade to business. There was no change fee, although the fare difference was non-trivial.
I've upfared very basic economy to business O bucket no change fee and s bargain of GBP 800 from BKK to LHR all Q suites I've also upfared on numerous occasions from Y to J never been charged a change fee

Certainly much better deals than the overpriced olci upgrades
Old May 15, 19, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold
Route is CDG-DOH-MEL. Thanks. Will give it a shot.
Old May 16, 19, 5:14 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by spec119 View Post
I've upfared very basic economy to business O bucket no change fee and s bargain of GBP 800 from BKK to LHR all Q suites I've also upfared on numerous occasions from Y to J never been charged a change fee

Certainly much better deals than the overpriced olci upgrades
Is this at the check-in desk or over the phone ? If the latter how long before departure ?
GBP800 from basic economy to J on BKK-LHR does not sound like the full fare difference, rather, some sort of deal ?
Do you have QR or OW status ?
Old May 16, 19, 6:11 am

Programs: QR Platinum, BAEC blue Skywards Silver Accor classic
Originally Posted by Nizar View Post
Is this at the check-in desk or over the phone ? If the latter how long before departure ?
GBP800 from basic economy to J on BKK-LHR does not sound like the full fare difference, rather, some sort of deal ?
Do you have QR or OW status ?
It was over the phone I'm QR gold and I called the BKK office 3 weeks ago I'm on 831 on 20th I'm traveling with a non status same fare bucket his cost was slightly more expensive about gbp25 from memory