Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What’s the point of online checkin...

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 2:54 am
R2

Originally Posted by florin
IMO, the idea of checking in some arbitrary time before the flight (24 / 30 / 48 hours) is sort of pointless.
I agree. In Asia some of the LCCs encourage you to check-in up to two weeks (!) before departure. They also mention in the check-in process that once you have checked in, the flight is considered flown i.e. no cancellations, no changes, no refunds are allowed. So it is all downside to the passenger, I really don't get why anyone would want to check in days before the flight and in return lose all rights to changes etc.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:59 pm

For many airlines around the globe OLCI is a way to reduce airport touch points served by human being and have the passenger serve himself. In QRs case I am not sure but I believe while the playing around with their App/Website gives them marketing data and exposure (e.g. advertising) another advantage is that they can predict the load of the aircraft better. Pax checked in have a X% higher probability to actually show up at the gate. They for sure know that formula and can therefore better plan overbookings or the most famous equipment changes.
For the client it does provide little advantage in QRs case: You can sometimes grab seats that have been until OLCI opens (1st row eg) and checking several times even if you are already checked in sometimes is helpful to choose a better seat because there are many changes between the start 48hours before departure and airport checkin.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by R2
. . . . I really don't get why anyone would want to check in days before the flight and in return lose all rights to changes etc.
To potentially get seats beside friends/family. Some people seem unable to be seperated no matter the length of flight.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
We will be flying home CAI-AMM-DOH-BOS in RJ J seats and QR QSuites. This is our first time visiting the Middle East. I had assumed I would check in for our flight home at the standard 24 hours before - but after reading this - how far ahead of our flight should we check in?
Old May 14, 2019, 7:51 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Graciecatt
We will be flying home CAI-AMM-DOH-BOS in RJ J seats and QR QSuites. This is our first time visiting the Middle East. I had assumed I would check in for our flight home at the standard 24 hours before - but after reading this - how far ahead of our flight should we check in?
Online Check-in will always be 24 hours before departure for US-bound flights. Check-in as usual, there is no problem, especially being in J where you can choose your seats anytime.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by clubeurope
Online Check-in will always be 24 hours before departure for US-bound flights. Check-in as usual, there is no problem, especially being in J where you can choose your seats anytime.
Thank you! We have seats already for all flights. My first 2 flights are on RJ (CAI-AMM-DOH) and they are not US-bound but hopefully checking in 24 hours ahead will be ok. We'll be between Hurghada and Cairo at the 24 hour mark and I hope to print my boarding pass when we arrive in Cairo.
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: Qatar Platinum, One World Emerald, IHG Platinum Elite
An even simpler reason could be just that the 'Web Check In /Bag Drop' line at the check-in counters (most airports have this counter) is much much shorter than the normal Economy lines. This may save a lot of time. This is of course only an issue if you don't have status, and can't use the Business Class check in counters.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ashbjr
An even simpler reason could be just that the 'Web Check In /Bag Drop' line at the check-in counters (most airports have this counter) is much much shorter than the normal Economy lines. This may save a lot of time. This is of course only an issue if you don't have status, and can't use the Business Class check in counters.
For IST and SAW, when traveling on QR, these lines are a lifesaver if you don't have status. When I didn't have status, instead of waiting 100+ people being directed to three agents, I was waiting for 2-3 people and checking-in. However, for QR, in most destinations, the trick is to arrive at the airport 1h-1h20mins before your flight. Most passengers would have been checked-in at that time so this would minimize the wait.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: Qatar Platinum, One World Emerald, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
For IST and SAW, when traveling on QR, these lines are a lifesaver if you don't have status. When I didn't have status, instead of waiting 100+ people being directed to three agents, I was waiting for 2-3 people and checking-in. However, for QR, in most destinations, the trick is to arrive at the airport 1h-1h20mins before your flight. Most passengers would have been checked-in at that time so this would minimize the wait.
Exactly! When I said "much much" shorter, I did mean at this scale. There usually are 100+ people in the regular line and most times, when I didn't have status, I used to be able to walk right up to the Web Check In counter and check in without a wait. It always left me wondering why more people didn't just check in online. Nice tip on the timing of when best to check in, after the critical mass of folks have checked in!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Elite
In Amman and Beirut, I understand it’s immigration that insists on printed boarding passes. Not sure why but I guess it could have something to do with their obsession with stamps
Traveller999 likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by Hafnia
In Amman and Beirut, I understand it’s immigration that insists on printed boarding passes. Not sure why but I guess it could have something to do with their obsession with stamps
Same as in DEL or BOM ;-)
Old May 18, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: Star GOLD, EK SIlver
If for some reasons the airline needs paper boarding pass or for security reason, this should be indicated during online check in. For example United needs to check my US visa so i always receive a message “You are checked in, but your boarding pass will be issued at the airport”, same with Turkish on some airports. My experience with Qatar is how agent manually checks every letter of the name of my boarding pass and passport moving finger from passport to boarding pass to passport (every single letter) and we were family of 3 - it took us 10 minutes. I said to my friend family to say they dont have passes, so the agent just scanned their passports and printed boarding passes in 10 seconds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.