Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Business class DUB-DOH: no champagne until after take-off?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Something that's been puzzling me since I got back from a trip to Singapore in early April. I flew DUB-DOH, DOH-KUL, SIN-DOH and DOH-DUB. All served me a nice glass of champagne before take-off except the DUB-DOH flight. For that flight, I had to wait for us to hit cruising altitude. As it was my first flight on QR, I assumed it was an airline policy and didn't question it, but when the next 3 flights happily served me while on the ground, it's puzzling why DUB-DOH had this sort of restriction. Just out of interest, anybody know why this might be?
Old May 6, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold, , IHG Gold
I believe that one may be a DUB thing. I didn't see alcohol being served on my AA flight out of there until after take off.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC
It depends if the airline wants to pony up for the taxes on the bottles of alcohol that are opened whilst on the ground, and also what the level of those taxes are.

No duty paid booze, no pre-flights drinkies.
SullyofDoha likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by MHTFlyer
I believe that one may be a DUB thing. I didn't see alcohol being served on my AA flight out of there until after take off.
EK serve champagne before take-off. Though they don’t open the Dom Perignon in First until after take off.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Also at NBO no PDB Champagne. The ground manager explained that the taxes are exorbitant, and a few times they have tried to sneak a glass, they've been reported to the Kenya Revenue Authority. Now they just don't risk it, nor want to pay.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Makes sense, tks all, but the taxes on alcohol on Ireland are about 42 euro per litre. Not an exorbitant amount I would think in relation to the amount paid for biz class tickets. But at least there's some sort of reason. What this means that I'll now need to travel biz class on a bunch of other airlines ex-DUB to compare and contrast.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:44 am

Have flown a couple of times in J on QR ex DUB and if my memory serves me correctly, Champagne was available on boarding. I do know that on the morning departure it may not be on the tray but can be requested. I didn't think DUB was one of the destinations with no Champagne on the ground, but could be wrong.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Air Canada skirts the issue by serving Prosecco while on the ground and then champagne in the air due to the ground taxes.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
Air Canada skirts the issue by serving Prosecco while on the ground and then champagne in the air due to the ground taxes.
Sully, that actually strikes a chord somewhere in the depths of my memory (even though it was only 5 weeks ago ) - I may have been offered something instead of champagne, more along the lines of prosecco, and I said I'd wait...
Old May 9, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
They have non-alcoholic sparking plonk too called So Jennie.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:37 pm

I do not understand the tax argument for drinks on board. Tax would surely be calculated on the quantity of alcohol not the price of the bottle. So, tax on cheap Prosecco is the same as on £100 a bottle Champagne as their alcohol content is the same.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Madrid is another example of this rule.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen
I do not understand the tax argument for drinks on board. Tax would surely be calculated on the quantity of alcohol not the price of the bottle. So, tax on cheap Prosecco is the same as on £100 a bottle Champagne as their alcohol content is the same.
It might be where you're from I don't know, but ex-DUB tax is per price of bottle.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by psychokilla
Sully, that actually strikes a chord somewhere in the depths of my memory (even though it was only 5 weeks ago ) - I may have been offered something instead of champagne, more along the lines of prosecco, and I said I'd wait...
At the time I flew, AC was still serving Drappier as the champagne of choice. Even after take-off, I elected to stick with the prosecco!
Old May 12, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Ireland has the highest alcohol excise in Europe and is the highest for wines. On average it is 175% of the EU average excess

In Europe, there are essentially 4 countries that charge high alcohol excise rates Ireland, UK, Sweden and Finalnd. The remainder of countries charge low amounts.

However, for wines, Ireland is definitely the highest even of these four, for example 64% of a €7 bottle of wine is tax, A sparkling wine that in Northern Ireland (UK still high taxes) costs €12.74 (of which tax is €5.31) whereas in ROI, the same bottle costs €16.45 (of which tax is €4.14 higher at €9.45)*.

I will not mention Brexit (damn I just did) but you can see why many buy their booze in NI who live close to the boarder.

*Prices and tax rates of NI will vary in € by exchange rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.