Wiki Posts
Search

Recent Experiences onboard QR

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold, gha black
Recent Experiences onboard QR

Just completed an ARN - DOH - DKK and return in J, flying a 787, 777 and A350, with 3 of the 4 sectord in Q-Suites.

Q-Suites. I was flying with my wife and we tried all the seats. The single window seat, the "bed seat" and the partner seats opposite the bed seats. My thought on them were that the bed seats gave by far the most impression of space, although proximity of the televisions could be a little bothersome. What i didnt like on all the flights, was the cubby hole to rest your feet. Im 6ft 1 and reality if there is only room for 1 foot, unless you want to lay on your side to sleep, and then it becomes a tight fit. On some of the seats you are also a little close to the door panel, as has been mentioned here numerous times.... I flew Q-Suites once last year and this was my second try... I didn't have the same sense of excitement again after trying them, and the reality at the end of the day, is that it is just a seat, but the privacy you feel, is much better on the 787. The 787 business seat is beginning to feel nothing special, but that is also driven by the constant product enhancements Qatar is rolling out.

Movies - Maybe im wrong, but didnt feel that the movies were as upto date as they once were. Of course, selection is still strong, but nothing really lept off the page for me to watch. Alot of the films were old.

Ammenity - Same product, different bags. PJs good if needed.

Food and beverage - I thought the food was of a high standard, but you can clealy see cutbacks on presentation on items such as the arabic mezze, from a few years back. It also becomes a bit tiring on each flight, to be offered the same wine card time after time. Wine quality has also decreased with Qatar.

Crew - This is where i found Qatar had taken a big back step year on year. People seemed to try too hard, or not try at all. Some of the CSD, seemed not to really have much clue on who the passenger was, apart from to say, how is your flight. On my first 787 flight, the CSD was talking to a passenger for over 20 minutes right in front of my seat. With no privacy like on a Q-Suite this became bothersome. Then i had to listen to the same CSD, poorly respond to a passenger who was first world whinging about not getting 1 hour free wifi on the 787. On my last flight to Stockholm yesterday, i was offered a Qatar Burgundy membership, when i am BA Gold. I had my membership number on the boarding pass, so not sure why i was being offered QRs lowest tier.

Lounge - Didnt bother with Al Maj, but went to Al-Safwa and paid the fee. Worth it if you drink for the champagne and bordeaux wine. Meal was generally fine, i think people have too high expectations, that they will get Michellin quality food. It isnt in anyway.
Overall. Still a great business product, but standards are slipping, and corners are being cut on product. 8/10.

GalaxyChris likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by copenhagenBA
Thoughts on Qatar product...
QR are not perfect, but I like their product very much indeed. And, unlike others who have reported problems with ground service, any problems I have had have been sorted to my satisfaction. I appreciate I may be in the minority with that one.

If it wasn't for the higher ticket prices, prevalent for around 2 years now, QR would be my first choice every time (I've recently tried J with BA LHR-MCT rtn @ Ł1100pp (very average) & Swiss LHR-ZRH-BKK rtn @ Ł1260pp coming this month. We'll see).

9/10
Old May 6, 2019, 6:16 am

Thanks for the write up. My experiences have been very positive. However, it’s usually crew dependent. I’ve hade a flight with a slow FA who took 20 min for a glass of wine in J and I’ve had experiences were my glass was always refilled before I finished it. Sounds like you had a bad crew. However, in all my QR flights, I’ve only had one bad FA.

I get what you’re saying about the double suite being tight in the footwell and I feel that the “true” window seats have more foot space. When I travel with my wife, I’ll often skip the double and just get a true window for her and I. Or maybe it’s because I just get sick of her .

As far as IFE goes, my issues is the HIGHLY edited content. Amazing films are chopped up and dialogue is edited so much so that I actually download my own movies before a QR flight. It was nearly impossible to follow the plot line of “Mary Queen of Scots” on oryx one with all the edits. “A Star is Born” was also quite hard to follow when all curse words, sex scenes and drug scenes are removed.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Some good points. I’d add that they have done better in Al Safwa. When they opened, they seared scallops as an appetizer...no more.
They could easily make a pan fried steak to order on a hot plate...but they don’t. Instead, they are ok going for mediocrity of precooking a steak in an outbuilding.
on the plane? Yah, the wine list has gone from great to good. However, it is still heads and tails bettter than the crap BA serves in J.
homer3152 likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:35 am

Just took two Q-suite flights Bos-Doh and Doh-Icn both flights, hard and soft product get high marks from me. I actually preferred the Q-Suite experience over my recent Jal first Class Nrt -Ord.

Last edited by wordsew; May 6, 2019 at 8:08 pm
Old May 7, 2019, 2:22 pm

Good information. My wife and myself will be flying the Q Suites for the first time on 4 different legs....very difficult decision to decide what seats to choose.

Both long hauls of 12+ hours we chose the double seats so hopefully we will like them? On the other two flights 5+ hours we chose the single seats at the windows but on the outside so we are not facing backwards. I just wasn't sure about facing backwards but really think I would like the true window seat better. I know everyone has there likes/differences but would love to hear more insight on the seats. We don't necessarily have to be together on the double bed ones but it makes sense and I'm sure they are fine.

Looking forward to it though!
Old May 7, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Bravada04
On the other two flights 5+ hours we chose the single seats at the windows but on the outside so we are not facing backwards. I just wasn't sure about facing backwards but really think I would like the true window seat better.
I thought that the "true" window seats are the ones facing backwards.
sl00001 likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: British Airways
Talking

Originally Posted by copenhagenBA
Just completed an ARN - DOH - DKK and return in J, flying a 787, 777 and A350, with 3 of the 4 sectord in Q-Suites.

Q-Suites. I was flying with my wife and we tried all the seats. The single window seat, the "bed seat" and the partner seats opposite the bed seats. My thought on them were that the bed seats gave by far the most impression of space, although proximity of the televisions could be a little bothersome. What i didnt like on all the flights, was the cubby hole to rest your feet. Im 6ft 1 and reality if there is only room for 1 foot, unless you want to lay on your side to sleep, and then it becomes a tight fit. On some of the seats you are also a little close to the door panel, as has been mentioned here numerous times.... I flew Q-Suites once last year and this was my second try... I didn't have the same sense of excitement again after trying them, and the reality at the end of the day, is that it is just a seat, but the privacy you feel, is much better on the 787. The 787 business seat is beginning to feel nothing special, but that is also driven by the constant product enhancements Qatar is rolling out.

Movies - Maybe im wrong, but didnt feel that the movies were as upto date as they once were. Of course, selection is still strong, but nothing really lept off the page for me to watch. Alot of the films were old.

Ammenity - Same product, different bags. PJs good if needed.

Food and beverage - I thought the food was of a high standard, but you can clealy see cutbacks on presentation on items such as the arabic mezze, from a few years back. It also becomes a bit tiring on each flight, to be offered the same wine card time after time. Wine quality has also decreased with Qatar.

Crew - This is where i found Qatar had taken a big back step year on year. People seemed to try too hard, or not try at all. Some of the CSD, seemed not to really have much clue on who the passenger was, apart from to say, how is your flight. On my first 787 flight, the CSD was talking to a passenger for over 20 minutes right in front of my seat. With no privacy like on a Q-Suite this became bothersome. Then i had to listen to the same CSD, poorly respond to a passenger who was first world whinging about not getting 1 hour free wifi on the 787. On my last flight to Stockholm yesterday, i was offered a Qatar Burgundy membership, when i am BA Gold. I had my membership number on the boarding pass, so not sure why i was being offered QRs lowest tier.

Lounge - Didnt bother with Al Maj, but went to Al-Safwa and paid the fee. Worth it if you drink for the champagne and bordeaux wine. Meal was generally fine, i think people have too high expectations, that they will get Michellin quality food. It isnt in anyway.
Overall. Still a great business product, but standards are slipping, and corners are being cut on product. 8/10.

you should fly AA more and you will stop complaining
homer3152 likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
I did this exact route return three weeks ago, and had a350 with and without QSuite, and 777 with and without QSuite.

I've flown QR in F many times in the past, but util this trip I stopped using QR since they removed F on the BKK route.

In short I was very impressed with all segments, they outperformed my expectations in pretty much every facet. The main positive for me was the crew,I felt that the level of personal service was pretty much up to what I'd expect from F on BA. And it's no surprise bearing in mind that the crewax ratio is about the same.

I didn't really use the IFE except the moving map, I usually load up my iPad for that: this habit goes back to the days when IFEs weren't quite as reliable as they are nowadays.

I also use Al Safwa rather than Al Maj, and despite the forty or so stools was alone propping up the bar, which seems to be the standard occupancy in the twenty or so times I've been in there since it opened! The option to use Al Safwa, albeit for a price, is another reason to make QR J a better option. Regarding Al Safwa and Michelin, well, I did chuckle! It's a million miles away from Michelin star. The only facets that tick the Michelin boxes are the exclusivity and surroundings. The service and particularly the food are barely provincial brasserie or reasonable pub grub quality: I wouldn't even put it at Gastro Pub level.

The on board F&B was better than I was expecting. I particularly liked the Mezze. I just wish they'd have ice cream on the menu. As far as I could tell, there was no reduction in menu options or service on overnight flights.

The only problem with the QSuite seat was a slight ridge at the hips in bed mode, but that was solved by moving a little. Otherwise, the amount of space and storage seemed as good as anything else. The open 777 seat I had in the middle of the cabin I found was a little more comfy in that respect than the QSuite seat. Two pillows were very welcome. They were enhanced away on some airlines over a decade ago in J. The blankets are the best I've experienced on board, I never bothered with the turndown service, perhaps the mattress would alleviate the slight ridge in the seat in bed mode that I mentioned.

PJs were only offered in my first segment, but I take my own anyway. The ammenity kits go straight to my missus, unopened. I like it that the toothbrushes and toothpaste are available in the bathrooms. The bathrooms are mostly significantly larger than BA F.

The only places I can see it obviously lacks on, say, BA F, are: bathroom-to-pax ratio, PJs on day flights, flowers and cloth towels. I can live with that.
morawc and mr_botak like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Howard Long
Regarding Al Safwa and Michelin, well, I did chuckle! It's a million miles away from Michelin star.
I agree, if the standard is Michelin stars. The last two times I was there were both overnights. Both times I had the French toast for breakfast, and both times it may have been the best I've ever had. Try it and tell me that I'm wrong. (And the LGD to wash it down didn't hurt, either.)
Old May 12, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
In all seriousness, there is nothing Michelin about the food in Al Safwa.
homer3152 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
I had a recent J experience ARN-DOH (A350 Q suite), DOH-BKK (A350 non-Qsuite), SIN-DOH (A351 Q suite), DOH-GOT (787).

I had mixed feelings overall. I liked the Q suites, but I think I probably expected more due to reading so many reviews about them. I didn’t mind the non-q suite planes too much, and probably vs my expectations were better compared to Q suites (though obviously if I knew nothing about either beforehand Q suites would have seemed much better).

I had two great sets of crew, both to and from Sweden. Crew from DOH to BKK were not great, even though there were only 6 J passengers. SIN-DOH were ok, but not very personable.

But my biggest disappointment was the food, aside from the fact it was dine on demand. I found the options really limited, and there was nothing really very tasty among the food I tried. I had the mezze (it was the best) and I tried a few other things which I can’t even remember, but overall food was really disappointing. I expected much better. I had the lemony minty drink, which was excellent, and a glass of wine which was also nice, though I can’t remember the name. I also had a chicken pesto sandwich and a steak sandwich towards the end of two flights, and they were bland and tasteless.

So overall I was disappointed with my QR experience. I flew SQ a few months back and it was so much better in terms of food and service (with the only down side being the set food times). I even found the seats and beds better in SQ, despite the awkward bed positioning issue.

I flew LH J a couple of months ago with my SO, and to be honest I would consider even going LH again instead of QR.

Was as I just getting too excited by all the reviews out there, or have others have similar disappointing experiences with QR?
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisBub
Was as I just getting too excited by all the reviews out there, or have others have similar disappointing experiences with QR?
Well, to the extent that you're talking about seats/suites.... My guess is that everyone's excited about the QSuites because they're new and the first real suite J product. I don't, however, find them comfortable for sleeping, and I always feel a little cramped in them, sort of that closed-in feeling. (I've flown QSuites on a bunch of flights, now.) I prefer the previous generation 1-2-1 J product overall.

Regarding food, the only thing I've ever eaten in QR J that's consistently disappointing is the grilled lamb. Consistently tough and tasteless. Other than that, I find the QR J food consistently superior to any other J food I've tried.
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:24 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I’ve in the past several months have taken 16 sectors on QR, and I think the food is consistently bad. Not necessarily due to the quality per se, but more to how the food is overheated, or swimming in oil due to that.

I find that the pasta, cream soups, and arabic dishes are consistently edible (in addition to the desserts) but everything else is terrible. The meat, fish, and so on, are really bad whenever I get them. Furthermore the breadbasket bread always seems stale lately.

I feel like this is the case particularly when the crew are stressed or otherwise just plain lazy.

The juices and non-alcoholic drinks though are great.

These days, I tend to skip the meals and eat at the lounge (if the lounge food is better, like in SIN or LHR)
ChrisBub likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by clubeurope
I’ve in the past several months have taken 16 sectors on QR, and I think the food is consistently bad. Not necessarily due to the quality per se, but more to how the food is overheated, or swimming in oil due to that.

I find that the pasta, cream soups, and arabic dishes are consistently edible (in addition to the desserts) but everything else is terrible. The meat, fish, and so on, are really bad whenever I get them. Furthermore the breadbasket bread always seems stale lately.

I feel like this is the case particularly when the crew are stressed or otherwise just plain lazy.

The juices and non-alcoholic drinks though are great.

These days, I tend to skip the meals and eat at the lounge (if the lounge food is better, like in SIN or LHR)
I've maintained for a while that QR service is often badly compromised when there is a full cabin as the service is so intensive - the crew are effectively forced to try to provide an F-like service to a large cabin with a crewing ratio that is generous for J but nowhere near what you'd get in an actual F cabin. Most of my worst QR flights for service have ironically been in J on LHR in Qsuites, which you would think should be the best QR J product as it's probably their flagship route but between the full cabin and the problems caused by crew not being able to see who has been served due to doors/walls I've yet to take a Qsuites flight on this route where something I've ordered hasn't been forgotten! I think I find the food quality variable, sometimes an absolute hit and sometimes a miss but it's no different to any other J product I've tried.
clubeurope likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.