Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Cancelled flight. Delay of 15 Hours. What to do.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Hi guys. I have not flown QR in a while as the last 2 times I did I had delays of 3 hours the first time and 8 hours the second time. The difference is this time I’m flying from the UK and my delay is of 15 hours!!

Currently I’m on board a flight from UK > DOH. I got a message on my app saying due to disruptions I have been placed on a flight for tomorrow and the new transit time is 15hrs and 30 minutes instead of the 50 minutes it should of been. This has happened to me every time I’m flying to Kenya on Qatar airways but both times before I was flying from BKK and so could not claim any money back and only a free lounge pass was given.

Im in Economy and have booked the flight on my Amex Gold card so there should be insurance on that? I also have a revolut card metal so should have travel insurance from that aswell.

what do I do once I land and claim what through who? Please help!
Old May 1, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by djtriggz
Hi guys. I have not flown QR in a while as the last 2 times I did I had delays of 3 hours the first time and 8 hours the second time. The difference is this time I’m flying from the UK and my delay is of 15 hours!!

Currently I’m on board a flight from UK > DOH. I got a message on my app saying due to disruptions I have been placed on a flight for tomorrow and the new transit time is 15hrs and 30 minutes instead of the 50 minutes it should of been. This has happened to me every time I’m flying to Kenya on Qatar airways but both times before I was flying from BKK and so could not claim any money back and only a free lounge pass was given.

Im in Economy and have booked the flight on my Amex Gold card so there should be insurance on that? I also have a revolut card metal so should have travel insurance from that aswell.

Try and find the cause of the delay, if not extraordinary circumstances, then you can claim EC261 compensation since connecting flights have been ruled to be considered one flight and it originated in Europe (unlikely if this had been your return flight). In any case the airline owes you a duty it care during the delay.

As for AMEX travel insurance, the free one that comes with the card isn’t worth a lot- for example the BAPC comes with £200 if you purchase the travel on your card for essentials and the airline doesn’t offer you after 4 hours.

Last edited by navylad; May 1, 2019 at 7:21 am
Old May 1, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: Some

Where an overnight stay is required on departures from the EU, QR will owe you a duty to provide hotel accommodation if you request it rather than just a lounge pass this time, which includes transportation to the hotel. Go to the QR transfer desks on landing if there is no one waiting for you at the gate already to offer this and QR should organize this for you. If QR don't play ball and you don't want to spend the night in the airport, I would book my own accommodation and then either bill it back to QR later or claim under travel insurance if that is covered by your policy.

In terms of compensation it depends why the flight was delayed. It will need to be deemed effectively QR's fault that there was a delay and not due to 'extraordinary circumstances' which were beyond QR's control, which are typically thought to include things like extreme weather events. A delay of above 4 hours on a flight above 3,500km (which are both satisfied here) will entitled you to EUR600 compensation from QR, which you'll have to claim by writing to them directly once the flight is over.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:06 am
Original Poster

How easy is it to claim directly? Should I use one of the online claim agents?

Will update you guys once I’ve landed so I should try and do everything through the airline? Not contact American Express or revolut travel insurance?? Amex travel says £200 for cancelled flight. Revolut says £320 but best I guess is the 600 euro from the airline?? What about hotels?? If QR don’t give one I should call Amex??

do I get a letter from QR as to why they have cancelled the flight?
Old May 1, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: Some
How easy is it to claim directly? Should I use one of the online claim agents?

Will update you guys once I’ve landed so I should try and do everything through the airline? Not contact American Express or revolut travel insurance?? Amex travel says £200 for cancelled flight. Revolut says £320 but best I guess is the 600 euro from the airline?? What about hotels?? If QR don’t give one I should call Amex??

do I get a letter from QR as to why they have cancelled the flight?
I haven't had to claim from QR yet, only other airlines, but didn't find the process too painful. Can be quite time consuming so just depends how much time you want to invest in the process, if you're happy just to outsource it to someone else then it will save you hassle.

Your travel insurance should be on top of the statutory EU compensation so you'll also need to contact your travel insurance provider separately if you have insurance that covers this - note this may not count as a cancelled flight but a delay instead given the connecting nature of it, just depends how the policy is worded. You can obviously deal with the hotel at the same time if QR don't provide one.

You should get a letter from QR on landing regarding the delay and if you don't I would push for one as you may need this to be able to make the claim.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
EC261 applies to ALL flights from the UK, regardless of carrier. Duty of care (hotel, meals, transportation to/from hotel, etc.) applies regardless of the cause of the delay. Compensation would probably be 600 Euro in addition, although there are exceptions so you need to know what the "disruption" is.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Just to add that you should approach QR for a hotel first, technically the insurance is unlikely to cover the expense should QR of covered it (which they are legally bound to do by EU261).

It can be quite hard to find out the cause of the delay and they whether compensation is due later on, so I would put the leg work in and find out today- and record the name and time of the person who told you or better yet get it in writing.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are two separate claims here and it is important to keep the terms clear.

1. Duty of care - QR has this duty no matter the reason for the cancellation. It should provide you with a hotel and meal vouchers as well as local transportation to the hotel and back to the airport. If it does not, you must keep receipts and submit those to QR for reimbursement. This is not compensation but reimbursement. You may also find that your travel insurance is better, provides you with more flexibility and certainty. Use that if you wish. I would wait to see what QR provides by way of a hotel.

2. Cancellation compensation - Unless the delay is for "extraordinary circumstances" you will be due compensation of EUR 600. You may claim that once you are back home and have settled in. Typically weather, air traffic control and maters generally not controllable by QR are "extraordinary" while mechanical defects are not. Try to find out as much detail as you can from QR staff at DOH. On the ground staff may be more helpful and provide information. You are free to use a claims agency, but those typically take 25-33% of the loot. It seems wasteful to pay someone as much as EUR 200 to file a simple claim. You always have that option if it comes to that.

In your claim, stick to the relevant facts and omit all that is irrelevant, e.g. what happened on other flights. All that is relevant is that the flight was cancelled, the reason was not extraordinary and the delay exceeded 4 hours at your final ticketed destination for a ticket which originated in the EU.

If you have a UK address, you can always file an MCOL complaint with little effort. Even if no such address, the small claims process is user-friendly and permits telephonic hearings. But, you are nowhere near a lawsuit at this stage.
nancypants, trooper and glennhaak like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:52 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
QR are usually pretty quick to respond to EU261 claims, so that's helpful.

What I'm failing to understand here, is why you couldn't find an alternative routing yourself - which would have dropped you to your destination far quicker?

M
Old May 1, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
EC261 applies to ALL flights from the UK, regardless of carrier. Duty of care (hotel, meals, transportation to/from hotel, etc.) applies regardless of the cause of the delay. Compensation would probably be 600 Euro in addition, although there are exceptions so you need to know what the "disruption" is.

If the issue occurs to a EU segment. As per Airhelp " By law, only if the flight departs from within the EU, or departs outside and arrives within the EU via an airline that is EU-registered. "
Yet https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...r/index_en.htm

Last edited by Mcflyneo; May 1, 2019 at 12:37 pm
Old May 1, 2019, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is outdated and incorrect.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
QR are usually pretty quick to respond to EU261 claims, so that's helpful.

What I'm failing to understand here, is why you couldn't find an alternative routing yourself - which would have dropped you to your destination far quicker?

M
I think the OP was actually mid flight between London and Doha, and got a notification from the QR app.

Its ​​​​​in these kind of situations that being disconnected and blissfully ignorant and not being able to stew on bad news stuck on a plane for several hours would probably be a better outcome as far as I would be concerned, but I guess that depends on whether your travelling for leisure or business.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys quick update for you all. Thank you for all the messages and great sources of information. I tweeted whilst onboard the LHR-DOH flight and on arrival at DOH i was greeted by someone holding a printed signboard with my name. He then put me on a buggy and whisked me to catch my connecting flight.

So I have made it to NBO! Brilliant!

However.....

My luggage has not... in fact 26 passengers did not Get their luggage. We travelled on the A319 of which QR own 2. The plane is not ideal for a 6 hour flight! There is no inflight entertainment onboard at all.

Oh well!!
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by plunet
I think the OP was actually mid flight between London and Doha, and got a notification from the QR app.

Its ​​​​​in these kind of situations that being disconnected and blissfully ignorant and not being able to stew on bad news stuck on a plane for several hours would probably be a better outcome as far as I would be concerned, but I guess that depends on whether your travelling for leisure or business.
and also whether you get the notification with your one hour free internet, or you have paid for internet for the whole flight (1< hour and the pressure really is on to try and find a solution).
Old May 2, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi guys quick update for you all. Thank you for all the messages and great sources of information. I tweeted whilst onboard the LHR-DOH flight and on arrival at DOH i was greeted by someone holding a printed signboard with my name. He then put me on a buggy and whisked me to catch my connecting flight.

So I have made it to NBO! Brilliant!

However.....

My luggage has not... in fact 26 passengers did not Get their luggage. We travelled on the A319 of which QR own 2. The plane is not ideal for a 6 hour flight! There is no inflight entertainment onboard at all.

Oh well!!
Well that's probably as good an outcome as you could have expected, bad luck the bags didn't make it, but great response from the QR social media team - assuming that a gate agent and buggy wasn't already organised.

If you didn't have the knowledge or capability to tweet QR but had received a similar notification onnboard, I assume that the senior cabin crew should have the capability to reach out to Doha and request assistance to try to get a passenger to make a tight connection whilst in flight...
msm2000uk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.