Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Opening times of check-in counters at LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opening times of check-in counters at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Flying Blue, Singapore Airlines Kris Flyer, British Airways Executive Club
Opening time of check-in counters at LHR

Flying J class in July and the flight departure time is 11:55. Does anyone knows how early can I check-in at LHR? I know check-in counters usually open 3-4 hours before departure time but considering Qatar has so many flight from LHR daily, any chance that I could check-in earlier??

Last edited by chinhk; Apr 24, 2019 at 2:58 am
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
I have checked in at 5 am for 4 pm flight once but they were not happy doping that. As your flight is much earlier I cant see there being a problem with an early morning check in. The desks are constantly manned from about 4.30 am from memory.
chinhk likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:51 am

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm arriving from Toronto to LGW early morning around 10AM, then have to transfer to LHR for my QR to Doha flight which is at 9:55PM.

I called Qatar's hotline and they did mention that at LHR, the check in's generally open 4 hours before flight departure. With that said, the agent suggested that once I arrive at LHR, to check in my baggage for my flight (same airline just different time of departures) and then feel free to go to the lounge inside or spend time in the city.

Point - if there is an earlier flight, you can try checking for your flight at the same time.
chinhk likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by flyer_sam
I'm in the same situation as you. I'm arriving from Toronto to LGW early morning around 10AM, then have to transfer to LHR for my QR to Doha flight which is at 9:55PM.

I called Qatar's hotline and they did mention that at LHR, the check in's generally open 4 hours before flight departure. With that said, the agent suggested that once I arrive at LHR, to check in my baggage for my flight (same airline just different time of departures) and then feel free to go to the lounge inside or spend time in the city.

Point - if there is an earlier flight, you can try checking for your flight at the same time.
The check in counters are open from circa 4.30am to the last flight. It's whether they will let you check your luggage in ( it has something to do with storage).
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Flying Blue, Singapore Airlines Kris Flyer, British Airways Executive Club
Thanks for the replies. Its really useful to know that the check-in counters are open from 4:30am and it is possible (subject to the mercy of check-in agents/storage space) to check in earlier than 4 hours.

We are currently considering to either:
Leave Cardiff at 5am and arrive LHR around 8am to check-in (early wake-up + the long drive and long day ahead as we have a connecting flight from DOH)
or
Get a hotel room near Terminal 4 and leave Cardiff the night before so that we do not have to worry about the traffic in the morning and waking up too early.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:08 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I have a flight coming up with QR in the next couple of weeks, departing LHR at 21.55. It would be easier for me to go to LHR first thing in the morning, check my luggage and then head into my office in London for the day with just my hand luggage. It seems from this thread that it can be a bit hit and miss as to whether the check-in staff with accept luggage early. Is there any leeway based on the class of travel/FF status? I am OW Emerald, flying in J. In T5 BA is more flexible about early check-in for J pax, but not sure if there is maybe just a bigger problem with the luggage system in T4 that might prevent this? If there is a risk I will be turned away I probably won't bother trying for an early check-in.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gms
I have a flight coming up with QR in the next couple of weeks, departing LHR at 21.55. It would be easier for me to go to LHR first thing in the morning, check my luggage and then head into my office in London for the day with just my hand luggage. It seems from this thread that it can be a bit hit and miss as to whether the check-in staff with accept luggage early. Is there any leeway based on the class of travel/FF status? I am OW Emerald, flying in J. In T5 BA is more flexible about early check-in for J pax, but not sure if there is maybe just a bigger problem with the luggage system in T4 that might prevent this? If there is a risk I will be turned away I probably won't bother trying for an early check-in.
We traveled early July (flight departure time was 11:50) and we were able to check-in at the counter at around 7am. Only two check-in counters (one for first/business and one for economy) were opened at that time. The check-in for the first QR flight already closed/departed and our flight were the next one that morning so perhaps we were just lucky.

According to the responses on this topic - the check-in counters are open throughout so worth trying and do let us know your experience.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by gms
I cant see them doping this. I once turned up at 5 am for a 4 pm flight. As a favour they held my bag at the qatar info desk ( as a one off and on the understanding it was at my risk) because they had two morning flights and only accepted checked through luggage for those flights until 9am. I could have checked in after those two flights had departed.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:22 am
gms

Thanks for the comments. I won't bother trying to check-in in the morning for a late evening flight. I will try to remember to ask them at check-in what their policy is.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by gms
I don't know how convenient Heathrow is for you, but if it's easy, why not use the Left Luggage facility? Leave your bags there for the day; then you don't have to schlep them to the office and back to Heathrow.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chinhk
Thanks for the replies. Its really useful to know that the check-in counters are open from 4:30am and it is possible (subject to the mercy of check-in agents/storage space) to check in earlier than 4 hours.

We are currently considering to either:
Leave Cardiff at 5am and arrive LHR around 8am to check-in (early wake-up + the long drive and long day ahead as we have a connecting flight from DOH)
or
Get a hotel room near Terminal 4 and leave Cardiff the night before so that we do not have to worry about the traffic in the morning and waking up too early.
I recommend the T4 Premier Inn which is a short walk to the terminal and usually pretty cheap. Half of the travelling experience is flying on QR so you won't enjoy it if you're hanging out your arse with tiredness like a zombie.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 1:38 pm
gms

Can anyone confirm if the QR LHR check-in desks still stay open continuously from the morning flights through to the last flight of the day?

There are a couple of flights close together at 08.05 and 08.35 in the morning, then an almost 6-hour gap through to the next flight at 14.15. I'm just wondering if I turn up at 9am will I be able to check my luggage or do they now close all check-in desks for a couple of hours after the first flights close?
Old Feb 2, 2023, 9:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
In my most recent experience of trying for early check-in at LHR (whilst desks were open for an earlier flight in the day), I was able to check in and get my boarding passes. But only because I was hand luggage only. It was made clear to me that, if I had had luggage to check in, I would have been instructed to come back later, at T minus 4 hours, to check in my bag.

Of course, YMMV. I should add that my flight was the second of two A380 flights that were leaving within an hour of each other, so they might have been particularly worried about behind-the-scenes luggage storage space at that time.
gms likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.