Oryx hotel - exiting and returning

Old Apr 21, 19, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Oryx hotel - exiting and returning

My son and I will be traveling from Boston to Kilimanjaro on QR. I was able to use Aadvantage miles to book QSuite seats for us from Boston to Doha and back, but had to separately purchase economy fare rt from Doha to Kilimanjaro (separate pnr).

We arrive in Doha at 6pm and our connecting flight to Kilimanjaro leaves at 8:30am.

A few questions:

1. Stay at Oryx hotel terminal side? Because we only arrive in evening and would probably need to be back at the airport to check in at 6am, does it make most sense just to stay at the Oryx terminal side?

2. Can we check in and leave our carry ons in hotel and then exit immigration to see Doha in evening (restaurant, Souq) and then return that evening and get back through immigration to stay at hotel for easier departure in morning?

3. Would doing this require us to check in in Doha late in the evening at QR desk before proceeding through to the hotel and is this allowed the evening before flight?

4. With 2 separate tickets (one rt to Doha from Boston using miles and one rt from Doha to Kilimanjaro purchased economy) can we/should we check our bags all the way through to Kilimanjaro from Boston or will we need to pick up in Doha and recheck there for Kilimanjaro?

Thanks so much.
Old Apr 22, 19, 3:34 am

Programs: QR Platinum
I cant answer your questions, but why book the expensive Airport Oryx Rotana Hotel if you are eligible for the Qatar Stopover Program and can book a 5 Star Hotel for only 28 USD close to the Souq instead ~300 USD for the Airport Rotana?
Old Apr 22, 19, 9:20 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Crisu69 View Post
I cant answer your questions, but why book the expensive Airport Oryx Rotana Hotel if you are eligible for the Qatar Stopover Program and can book a 5 Star Hotel for only 28 USD close to the Souq instead ~300 USD for the Airport Rotana?
Don't you have to have a single booking to be eligible for the stopover program IIRC?

I do agree however, that I would get a hotel outside the airport as there are many nice and reasonably priced options that are a short taxi ride away.
Old Apr 22, 19, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Ref 2

there are various reports on here of immigration denying entry to people if they think you are staying less than 8 hours. Not sure why.
Old Apr 22, 19, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I believe that you are correct, because these are two different bookings we're not eligible for the stopover program.

The interest in staying within the terminal was that with an 8:30am flight it would save a great deal of time in the morning not having to get up much earlier, check-in, go through immigration and get to the gate.
Old Apr 22, 19, 3:52 pm

1. Stay at Oryx hotel terminal side? Because we only arrive in evening and would probably need to be back at the airport to check in at 6am, does it make most sense just to stay at the Oryx terminal side?
It costs a lot more and since you want to go through immigration anyway, not sure why you wouldn't just book a hotel near the airport. Hotels there are dirt cheap the closer to summer it gets.

2. Can we check in and leave our carry ons in hotel and then exit immigration to see Doha in evening (restaurant, Souq) and then return that evening and get back through immigration to stay at hotel for easier departure in morning?
Do you have checked luggage? You could probably do the following: Exit airplane, go via transit desk, check into hotel in the terminal, leave the terminal, return. Just lie to them about the 8 hours. Doha is a dump though, seriously consider whether it's worth the hassle to go through all this trouble just to see a souk (which btw is completely reconstructed) and eat a better meal.

3. Would doing this require us to check in in Doha late in the evening at QR desk before proceeding through to the hotel and is this allowed the evening before flight?

4. With 2 separate tickets (one rt to Doha from Boston using miles and one rt from Doha to Kilimanjaro purchased economy) can we/should we check our bags all the way through to Kilimanjaro from Boston or will we need to pick up in Doha and recheck there for Kilimanjaro?
It's probably possible and much easier.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: