Denied Boarding DOH-DEL-DOH-LAX

Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
rookie mistake. live and learn.
OP hasn't commented on what ticket he was on (assumed to be separate tickets to and from DEL). Please enlighten us on your planning for this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for you comments.
The DOH-DEL-DOH-LAX was one ticket purchased from Qatar Airways.
I asked before departure the India visa processing agency, my company visa processing agency, and they all said that I did not need visa for this route and I have it in writing, not that it matters.
It was a Business class ticket.
Even without luggage , they were not willing to let me fly.

Live and learn, as the saying goes.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Did you book this over the phone? QR's website cannot price it up when I tried.

They should have allowed you to board to board if you were happy to proceed without checked bags as long as you met the MCT and entry requirements for DEL. As stated already, you cannot tag a piece of luggage through the same station twice - this is a limitation of the tagging system we have today and I can't see that changing in a hurry.

The fact that you have a piece of paper that says you do not need a visa is immaterial if TIMATIC (IATA) disagrees. No front-line airline employee is going to allow you to board if the computer "says no".
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:24 am
Original Poster

The whole ticket with this particular routing was booked on Qatar Airline website. It stated with LAX-DOH then the return DOH-DEL-DOH-LAX. There were no separate reservations.Should they have asked me at LAX about India visa? I stayed 6 days on DOH , plenty of time to apply for one.They allowed the route with less then 2 hours in Delhi , and listed 2 luggage for each leg of the the trip. I offered to fly without luggage but they still said NO.
I leaned an expensive lesson with this trip, always get a visa even if you are told you do not need one
, just in case.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
So sounds to me like you purchased as LAX-DEL return fare with a stopover in DOH, with the expectation that DOH was actually your destination, when in reality it was DEL. As DEL is the fare break point and tagging luggage back through the origin airport seems unusual this has a lot of red flags. That being said, I'd have thought they'd permit you to travel without luggage at least
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Geeky but true fact is that a turnround, going back to where you came from, doesn't correspond with the industry definition of transfer/connecting flight, or the one immigration folk go by. You can get away with it, but you've got to hope your agent isn't a stickler or a jobsworth and/or didn't get out of bed on the wrong side. OP simply wasn't connecting in the "legal" sense.

This is important from the point of view of the Doha check-in. The OP needed an Indian visa if the first sector was on a separate ticket. But even if he'd had one, the second problem, the checked baggage, would have been insurmountable.
Originally Posted by stargold
As some others have said upthread, a turnaround to the same country as departure does not count as a "transit" for the purposes of TWOV, even if you do not intend to leave the terminal. That means you need a normal visa (or waiver) which allows you to actually enter India.
These posts bear repeating.

IIRC, it is not an airline's role to advise passengers of visa requirements for a ticket: their responsible is to the country to which the passenger is travelling, else they are fined / have to bear the costs to return the 'unauthorised' passenger.

Last edited by crackjack; Apr 25, 2019 at 9:43 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.