Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Out of control kids at the BKK lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Out of control kids at the BKK lounge

So I’m here right now in the BKK lounge covered in Glenfiddich because a group of children have been using the lounge as an Olympic track ring. Staff here nonchalantly said sorry and gave me a few napkins but it’s not really doing the trick and it seems my jeans are gonna be imbued with the stench of dried liquor for the next 24 some hour trip. Their nanny said sorry, but needless to say their seemingly Qatari local parents did not give a rats ... about the behavior of their offspring. Another poor sap a few seats away is covered in cappuccino and I feel even worse for him. Is this normal behavior in this lounge or most QR lounges? Do the staff here not try to control or even suggest to parents or even nannies to try to control the behavior of their offspring? This is my first QR round trip but I def don’t remember maniacal kids at the Mourjan lounges alas, guess I have to resign myself to scotch pants until I get back to NYC.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Have been fortunate not to encounter misbehavior of this degree myself, but it's really recognizable. This is one of the various unpleasant sides of Arabic cultures.
NoY likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:34 am
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
When I was there last week I encountered similar. The lounge was like a zoo. Loud, kids running and crying. It's a difficult topic but in my oppinion the airlines created lounges in the beginning to offer a relaxing oasis before a flight. That's no longer given at many places. Are family rooms an option? For sure one option is to go to the Cathay lounge, it can be busy but never experienced the same level of zoo.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:00 am

This is one of the reasons I always pack a change of clothes (trousers, shirt, skivvies, socks) in my carry-on. I'm also a big fan of technical fabrics for travel these days - lightweight, breathable, moisture-repellant etc. etc.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by fender5787
Is this normal behavior in this lounge or most QR lounges? Do the staff here not try to control or even suggest to parents or even nannies to try to control the behavior of their offspring?
Undisciplined children are a definite standard feature of this part of the world, and staff do not have standing to restrain them. I saw a small boy of Arab extraction trash the breakfast room of a very nice, upscale Dublin hotel (throwing food on the floor, grabbing things off other diners' plates) while his parents ignored him indulgently. The mortified Irish staff dared not intervene until they all swept out.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: Global Mercenary
I feel terrible for OP, but if you're in any part of the world outside of the Middle East, you should feel free to stand up and tell those parents to get their kids under control. Sternly if needed.

If I'm in the middle east, that's a whole separate discussion! You just put your head down and keep moving. Getting into a fight with Gulf locals as a foreigner is a bad, bad idea.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:26 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
As this seems to be more about parenting culture than QR, I'm going to suggest the conversation moves to mumsnet than Flyertalk.

M
nancypants and Alex Walker like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.