Qsuites Trip Report DOH-ZRH

Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:11 am
Original Poster
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SLH Indulged, M&M, SPG, IHG Elite, Hyatt Member
Qsuites Trip Report DOH-ZRH

I finally had the chance to try the Qsuite in an Airbus A350-900.

I was on a short layover in Doha (where I stayed close to the airport in the Sharq Village & Spa, review will follow) and had an early morning flight at 08:00 am to Zurich the next day. This meant I could try out the breakfast and catch up on sleep for about 6 hours of flight time.

See my blog for more photos: http://www.continentaltraveller.blog...suites-doh-zrh

Since I upgraded online a day before my flight I wasnt allowed to visit the lounge in DOH airport. I will definitely do a review of that on another occasion. The upgrade still improved the security check experience, though, since with my business boarding pass I could go through the separate emigration area. This would have gone very quick, if it wasnt for the Qatari officers who didnt show up to work on time or at all (same on immigration, btw). If Doha wants to host the FIFA world cup in 2022 with masses of football fans coming in, they need to improve badly on this. This just as a side note, since it has nothing to do with Qatar Airways per se.

The next step of my customer journey, though, was definitely under their responsibility and it was quite an awkward experience at that. The boarding gate was a bus gate, where you enter a bus that takes you to the plane. I arrived on time for boarding and saw the queue for economy passengers. I thought to myself: Alright, I can just walk past that to the sign saying Business Class. I wish it was that simple

They already commenced boarding for Economy class, but told me to wait here, since there was no Business Class bus available yet. So me and other premium class passengers waited patiently. It took a very long time, and it was a back and forth with some losing their patience and just boarding the Eco bus with everyone else, while I kept on waiting, when finally someone was screaming from the front: Business Class. I was holding up my hand and awkwardly had to shuffle through the other passengers.

It didnt stop there: this bus was just a normal bus, nothing special for Business Class, and worst of all, it was cooled down to about 50 F(10 C). And the drive took about 15 Minutes, our plane was literally on the other end of the airport. The least premium experience I can imagine. At that time I was dreaming about Emirates boarding from the lounge via a separate entrance - that is really worlds apart. But to be fair, also Emirates do have bus gates and the normal gate boarding at DOH is probably much better.

The Cabin

After I got up the stairs and could finally enter my QSuite everything got much better from here on out. I was greeted by my flight attendant and immediately offered a welcome drink. I did not choose the Champagne just yet and opted for the healthier non-alcoholic option (I cant remember the name, but it was something with mint). She also handed me the nicely designed Business Class menus for food and beverages (see under dining below) and a wet towel of my choosing (hot or cold). I like it.

What I also liked was the comfortable seat, cushions and quilt. To complete my nest building, the offered storage space had room for all my personal items (except the shoes, I just put them next to the seat). My seat was 9A and it was rear-facing, which was a new experience for me. I deliberately chose this seat to see how I feel flying like this. Turns out: no difference for me - your mileage may vary, of course, so make sure you check the direction of your seat upon selection.

Lets take a look inside the amenity kit. The products from Castello Monte Vibiano are of good quality and I happily used them after the flight.

I browsed the offerings on the entertainment system as the pilot announced that our flight would be delayed by about half an hour - and guess what: I didnt care at all, because I was so comfortable and well taken care of that I actually wished for an even longer delay!

The cabin was quite empty, so the closed door could not add to my privacy that much, but I can imagine how it would on a full plane. Here is a photo of 9E opposite to my seat. The middle seats are great for couples or even families of four: not only can you lower the little wall (even create a double bed for the rear-facing ones), but also turn the seats around to face the seats behind.

So, how is the seat in lie-flat mode? Pretty good, as you have a lot of space on the sides - enough for me to lie on the side. One minor point though: my right arm rest didnt budge! Seeing it, you expect it to be lowered to the ground so you can use the whole width as a bed. I am not sure, whether mine was broken or its meant to be like that.

The design of the cabin was more to my liking than Emirates, but I am still not to thrilled about the Burgundy everywhere.

The service was friendly and efficient, but not overly warm or genuine (this is rare anyway, but possible).

Dining

I opted for a mixture of Western and Arabian breakfast on my morning flight. First course was the cold cuts plus jam and bread. Second course was traditional Arabic with feta cheese, cucumbers, olives and foul medames. Both courses did not disappoint.

A real espresso ended the delicious meal on a high note.

On this medium-long flight I was also able to order a light lunch. So I chose the chicken tikka masala.
to which the awesome Matanzas Creek Chardonnay from 2016 fitted perfectly.

Entertainment

The Oryx One entertainment system contains a large collection of current movies, tv shows, music and games. Without knowing it exactly, I would say that the library is similarly sized as that of Emirates.
A handset allows you to control what goes on on the big screen as well as some seat functions. You can also connect your device via USB or HDMI to view on the screen and there should have been WiFi, but it didnt work for me on this flight.

Summary

Good
  • Qsuite is really an exceptional hard product in terms of privacy and comfort
  • Food not exceptional, but still good
  • Champagne and wine was good, especially the Californian Chardonnay I tried much too late in the flight
  • Service was efficient and friendly
  • Seat decor in a nice understated design - despite too much of the Burgundy
  • Good variety of entertainment options
Bad
  • Bus checkin at DOH was a catastrophe
  • No seamless door-to-door travel experience like Emirates Business Class (not even on full fare)
  • WiFi didn't work

All things considered, I would put Emirates and Qatar on the same level and I will definitely be a customer of the Qatar Business Class again - next time for a longer flight and a lounge review.

See my blog for more photos: http://www.continentaltraveller.blog...suites-doh-zrh
florin, indomie and witthuus like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for your review. I think the QSuite is the best BC product available. Period.

Originally Posted by lightwalker
...this bus was just a normal bus, nothing special for Business Class, and worst of all, it was cooled down to about 50 F (10 C)...
This has been a signature feature for many years in Doha with the bus transfers, no matter if using it at the old or new airport unfortunately. My biggest pet peeve about DOH. On my last bus gate trip at Hamad I angrily complained to the bus driver about this ongoing nonsense, getting a surprised look in return. Don't know why there has never been anybody with a brain and common sense attached to it in DOH's airport management to understand that people don't want to board freezers. Yes, it can get pretty warm outside in Qatar but this does not warrant freezing temperatures. A nice temperature of 22 degrees celsius is all I ask for. And stop blowing the air around like in a wind tunnel test.
I should have stopped AAB to complain to him personally about it when he passed by me while waiting in the BC line as he was coming from the completey packed gate area of my flight at 1:30 am in the morning. Fortunately it was a gate with a passenger bridge.
lightwalker and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Great write up! I'll be traveling JFK-DOH soon on the new A35K, so very much looking forward to a similar experience as yours.
lightwalker likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:34 pm
Original Poster
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SLH Indulged, M&M, SPG, IHG Elite, Hyatt Member
Originally Posted by ngfan
Thanks a lot for your review. I think the QSuite is the best BC product available. Period.
This has been a signature feature for many years in Doha with the bus transfers, no matter if using it at the old or new airport unfortunately. My biggest pet peeve about DOH. On my last bus gate trip at Hamad I angrily complained to the bus driver about this ongoing nonsense, getting a surprised look in return. Don't know why there has never been anybody with a brain and common sense attached to it in DOH's airport management to understand that people don't want to board freezers. Yes, it can get pretty warm outside in Qatar but this does not warrant freezing temperatures. A nice temperature of 22 degrees celsius is all I ask for. And stop blowing the air around like in a wind tunnel test.
Thank you ^ Glad I am not alone with that thinking! I also noticed the same when in Hong Kong pretty much anywhere indoors. I can only interpret it as an extreme answer to extreme heat outside. (that, or they want to also sell winter clothes like in the Northern hemisphere)

Originally Posted by DCATraveler
Great write up! I'll be traveling JFK-DOH soon on the new A35K, so very much looking forward to a similar experience as yours.
Thanks - hope you won't get a bus gate

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.