Mixed class luggage & musical instrument

Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
Mixed class luggage & musical instrument

I've got two queries if I may.

I have an award ticket from EDI-DOH in J and DOH-PER in F. There's a 31 hr layover in DOH, and it's all on the same PNR. The ticket says that I'm entitled to 40kg luggage on the J flight and 50 kg on the F flight. Is that always the case on mixed class flights?

Can a violin be brought on board as carry-on luggage? The QR website says that you can buy a seat for an instrument. This wouldn't be an expensive instrument to start with and the cost of a seat would likely be greater than the value of the violin.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
I do London to Muscat frequently and the second leg is in F and you usually get the whole flight at the higher luggage allowance.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:56 pm

weegraeme The key here is the 31 hours stop in DOH. You must collect your baggage in DOH and re-check it again for the next leg of your ticket. In the eyes of IATA, whose baggage rules apply to your tickets, you have broken your journey and the rules are applied to the separate parts of your journey. If there is a shorter connection then this will certainly be the case.
Some airlines ignore this rule and allow access to your baggage during the stopover without regarding as a separate journey. QR is not one of them!
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remdk
weegraeme The key here is the 31 hours stop in DOH. You must collect your baggage in DOH and re-check it again for the next leg of your ticket. In the eyes of IATA, whose baggage rules apply to your tickets, you have broken your journey and the rules are applied to the separate parts of your journey. If there is a shorter connection then this will certainly be the case.
Some airlines ignore this rule and allow access to your baggage during the stopover without regarding as a separate journey. QR is not one of them!
Thanks. It's actually an award ticket. Those were the closest award tickets on QR between UK and Australia (just happened to be EDI and PER) but of course there were other flights if I'd paid cash for them.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by weegraeme
I've got two queries if I may.

I have an award ticket from EDI-DOH in J and DOH-PER in F. There's a 31 hr layover in DOH, and it's all on the same PNR. The ticket says that I'm entitled to 40kg luggage on the J flight and 50 kg on the F flight. Is that always the case on mixed class flights?

Can a violin be brought on board as carry-on luggage? The QR website says that you can buy a seat for an instrument. This wouldn't be an expensive instrument to start with and the cost of a seat would likely be greater than the value of the violin.
In my experience, violins (and violas) pass as hand luggage without any issues whatsoever (even though one dimension is clearly above the specs) - of couse, the cello is a bit more difficult to pass as hand luggage. I've seen it happen, though.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meelosh
In my experience, violins (and violas) pass as hand luggage without any issues whatsoever (even though one dimension is clearly above the specs) - of couse, the cello is a bit more difficult to pass as hand luggage. I've seen it happen, though.
Thanks.

I wouldn't have thought a cello would pass! Maybe they have a fake chin rest fitted and tell them it's a large violin. :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.