Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Economy Class 2019

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:39 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
I see two different (potential) headphone sockets. The two prong setup left of the screen as well as another one that looks like the usual 3.5mm variety.
Additionally the USB socket looks like a USB 3 Type A (blue plastic inside) type and not the USB-C that is mentioned on the slides.
On one of the photos it looks like there is a USB-C socket on knee level. There's no regular power socket.

I guess it must have been removed

Last edited by msm2000uk; Mar 6, 2019 at 8:03 am Reason: Not the BA Forum
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by clubeurope
given how many have tried to introduce fixed backed seating and failed (i.e. Cathay, ANA) I wonder how this is going to be any different
Padding! that's the most important
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: QR Plat, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Ben_W
Interested to see how the recline works and how much it affects passengers when the seat in front is fully reclined.
This video shows a little bit how it looks like to work:
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by solfi

This video shows a little bit how it looks like to work:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=stwnPaEoJx0
hmmm that recline feature does look rather "revolutionary" compared to the older style of shell back seats.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:06 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by El_Duderito
I see two different (potential) headphone sockets. The two prong setup left of the screen as well as another one that looks like the usual 3.5mm variety.
Additionally the USB socket looks like a USB 3 Type A (blue plastic inside) type and not the USB-C that is mentioned on the slides.
On one of the photos it looks like there is a USB-C socket on knee level. There's no regular power socket.
On the IFE screen, there is a USB socket, as well as a 3.5mm headphone socket.

To the side of the tray-table, there is another USB socket.

M
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:48 pm

So the base of the seat slides forward to give the recline without affecting the preson behind too much?

As mentioned above, I thought that idea was widely slated and quickly canned where it had been tried before?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
They mentioned "more legroom", could be exciting. You don't hear that very often. Nothing specific, of course, but I'd be keen to know more legroom compared to what?

It's great to see QR pay attention to Y, something most airlines have long since abandoned.

5 to 8 years to complete the rollout... that's a long time to be asking "will MY flight have the new seats?"
Flying Bosun likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:32 pm

The video in post 33 (starting 0:36) does not show a shell, it shows the seat reclining in the normal way, only a very little bit. But it is also slightly "pre-reclined" (a new word for me).

As far as I can see in the video, the main thing is that the seatbacks are very, very thin. This lets them reduce seat pitch by a lot and also increase leg room by just a little, and publicize only the latter.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
As far as I can see in the video, the main thing is that the seatbacks are very, very thin. This lets them reduce seat pitch by a lot and also increase leg room by just a little, and publicize only the latter.
True, but thin does not necessarily equal uncomfortable. The mattress pads on QF 380 longhaul F service (I flew SIN-SYD last week) are maybe 1-1˝" thick, but they're incredibly comfortable. I couldn't feel the seat through the mattress.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:38 am

I think the most important questions are whether they will have a different seat width depending on the aircraft type and whether they will continue to go 10-abreast on the 777 and 9-abreast on 787.

Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by creflo
I think the most important questions are whether they will have a different seat width depending on the aircraft type and whether they will continue to go 10-abreast on the 777 and 9-abreast on 787.

I mean on the 777X, it would be guaranteed to be 10 abreast given that's the default option for the type, but whether they will retrofit the existing 777s into 9 abreast seems rather unlikely, and more so with the 787 into 8 abreast. It's just that many of QR's routes, particularly those to South Asia and South East Asia (perhaps except for Singapore) are not very high yield, and they constitute a large chunk of QR's focus as well, which makes it understandable (though not comfortable) why 10 abreast is used.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Isn't 13.1 inch screen larger than most regional business class seats? I mean, if QR update some of their short haul flights with the new Y product, and not touch the J cabin, would Y pax having larger screens?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Isn't 13.1 inch screen larger than most regional business class seats? I mean, if QR update some of their short haul flights with the new Y product, and not touch the J cabin, would Y pax having larger screens?
787, 777, 350 & 380 are 17" while 319, 320, 321, 330, 340 are 15" in J class
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
New (better) Y class is surely welcoming, though still not quite understand about the recline. 13.3” 4K TV is obviously top notch. Type C USB and 2 tray tables are thoughtful too. Good job QR.

Perhaps this new product is to lure pax when it departs OW
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ausriver
From the HfP article Rob notes:

"It is being introduced initially on the new A320LR aircraft which will not serve the UK. It will only be rolled out to other aircraft as part of the natural replacement cycle, which means it may take eight years to complete."

If this new seat is retrofitted one would assume that the business cabin would also be modernised at the same time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.