Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

what Should I expect in case of a missed connection

Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold

I am currently in ATL on QR 756 to DOH with a connection to MAA - which looks increasingly unlikely. I am flying J and am EXP (Emerald through American)

Will they book me on a different carrier? Will I have a say in which one? Is there anything else I should know -like the European rules for European Carriers?

Thanks
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Still in ATL - missed connection pretty much a certainty at this point
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:38 am

Currently showing a 6.50pm arrival for a 6.40pm connection - so they may possibly hold it a few mins and rush you over, especially if there are other passengers connecting

If not then having a quick look, there aren't really any desirable options - some overnight routings via Muscat on Oman Air which will be pretty brutal. Otherwise they'll put you up in a hotel for the flight tomorrow
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
When i had the same issue from Jakarta to London (Via Doha) they basically wouldn't do anything than book me on the next available flight to London OR to a nearby city (without any onward travel costs)

Hopefully you do better than me
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Sri Lankan have an option via CMB at 22:20 operated by A330's with business class. https://flights.app.goo.gl/Yg4S9

They are in Oneworld, so you might have a chance, but think the most likely option is you'll be in a hotel until tomorrow's Qatar flight. Please report back how you get on...

Last edited by ianwall; Mar 2, 2019 at 2:23 am Reason: link edit
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:59 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
One area where QR do excel, is in missed connections - which is fortunate, as connecting passengers are their core market.

Best practice, is to have a couple of options to show the ground staff, and be prepared to haggle.

It is likely that QR will have an option for you when you land, but that may not be your preferred - so by all means show them what you have found.

M
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Still flying - the Colombo connection is what I had my eye on - Oman did not sound very appealing to me. Will update...
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:39 am
Original Poster

On the QR website it shows that they booked me (and my co-worker) on the next day flight now. Not something i will easily accept. Landing at 1:50am on a work day is not at all what I have in mind.

Will post what happens
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Making up a few minutes enroute and a few minutes' delay for the onwards flight means that you might still make it. Don't give up until the onwards flight has actually pushed !

As others note, I would have your preferred reroutes written out in order of preference. The easier you make this for someone handling your request, the more likely it is to get it.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Trust me, this isn’t my first disconnect - just had no QR experience. I have sent myself an email with all the flight options in order of priority - I have everything ready to go... WiFi T-Mobile works surprisingly well and I called QR in the USA - but they said the flights are under airport control and there is nothing they can do. While probably true, I was at least hoping for a little more sympathy about a 24 delay (which on a 4 day trip to India is quite significant to me). Anyhow, landing 2 minutes after the other one is supposed to leave - given that they already rebooked us, there won’t be any rush helpers - does not look promising. You never know till the door is closed and the plane pushed back (and I have experienced exceptions to that too), but I think the chances to be on that flight are marginally above zero.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by flying_geek
I am currently in ATL on QR 756 to DOH with a connection to MAA - which looks increasingly unlikely. I am flying J and am EXP (Emerald through American)

Will they book me on a different carrier? Will I have a say in which one? Is there anything else I should know -like the European rules for European Carriers?

Thanks

Missed our connection at DOH to MAA a few months ago and QR had an airport cart waiting for me and my wife and they whisked us thru some side doors directly to immigration & customs (not the normal arrivals counters) which was cleared in less than a minute. The QR agent in our cart did not wait for any other passengers and I noticed that the other passengers on our flight had to wait in line to talk to the waiting agents for their connection information. The QR rep had a Mercedes limo waiting for us to take us to the Oryx Rotana hotel in town (not the airport Oryx). All our meals at the hotel were picked up by QR and then they had a limo to pick us up and drop us off at the airport the next day for our QR flight to MAA. The QR rep at the airport who met us on arrival told us that the limo service and accomodation at the Oryx Rotana was provided to us as a result of my OW Emerald status and the others would be taken by bus to other hotels. As we had no hurry to get to MAA we enjoyed the one day stay in DOH.

Last edited by ROW2Aisle; Mar 2, 2019 at 8:55 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Ok, so after deplaning, there was a guy waiting for the J pax booked to MAA (there were 4) - two elected to stay the night - he offered us DOH-BOM tonight on QR and BOM-MAA on AI (also in business) arriving 8:05am. I kinda would have preferred that CMB flight due to customs in Chennai being more relaxed - and the QR lounge being the better spot than the AI lounge in BOM - but hey, close enough - I didn’t even argue for the CMB flight.

Reasonable outcome given the circumstances.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:19 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by flying_geek
Ok, so after deplaning, there was a guy waiting for the J pax booked to MAA (there were 4) - two elected to stay the night - he offered us DOH-BOM tonight on QR and BOM-MAA on AI (also in business) arriving 8:05am. I kinda would have preferred that CMB flight due to customs in Chennai being more relaxed - and the QR lounge being the better spot than the AI lounge in BOM - but hey, close enough - I didn’t even argue for the CMB flight.

Reasonable outcome given the circumstances.
Pleased to hear that the situation was resolved to your approval, and proof to some, that QR Customer Service is actually pretty handy!

M
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Best practice, is to have a couple of options to show the ground staff, and be prepared to haggle.
The perks of the Middle East...
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by walkingtall
When i had the same issue from Jakarta to London (Via Doha) they basically wouldn't do anything than book me on the next available flight to London OR to a nearby city (without any onward travel costs)

Hopefully you do better than me
That's probably reasonable given there are multiple daily flights to LON but only one to MAA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.