Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Checked baggage must go to final destination?

Old Feb 28, 19, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

I am flying QR ARN-DOH-SGN with a 13 hour stopover in Doha with a QR paid hotel, but was refused collecting my bags at Doha on check-in in ARN?

Surely that isn't normal? Or reasonable?
It means that despite 2 overnight flights I will be unable to change clothes at a hotel QR are paying for?
Old Feb 28, 19, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
Why did you feel you needed a new thread for this? A quick search reveals:

No short-checking luggage in DOH layover
Old Feb 28, 19, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Cris L View Post
I am flying QR ARN-DOH-SGN with a 13 hour stopover in Doha with a QR paid hotel, but was refused collecting my bags at Doha on check-in in ARN?

Surely that isn't normal? Or reasonable?
It means that despite 2 overnight flights I will be unable to change clothes at a hotel QR are paying for?
Surely you can pack a change of clothes in a carry-on bag.

Some airlines permit short-checking when there is a lengthy connection; at least one airline -- AA -- will not through-check bags when a connection exceeds 12 hours. QR apparently has a different policy -- unless you ran into an incompetent agent at ARN.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 28, 19, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I had the same last year at MAN, when flying MAN-DOH-CPT, with a 19 hour +Qatar layover. They said that my fare didn't permit a stopover in Doha, so the system was preventing the bags being released in Doha. The only solution was to reprice my fare to one that did allow stopovers, which I declined and repacked into my hand luggage. That worked out OK, so didn't follow it up to know if the correct rules were being applied!
Old Feb 28, 19, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Given QR's generous carry-on allowance, I would have presumed that one carries the first 3-4 days of clothing anyway. Many people I know, go at least a week and some have turned this into an art form. Would presume one wants this anyway in case bags are delayed.
Old Feb 28, 19, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Good to know that this Is their actual policy. Thank you!

As I was advised that my carry on luggage must not exceed 7 kgs, and my carry bags already well exceeded that, and they were weighing the carry on bags of people in the queue in front of myself, and therefore did not feel it smart to to pack more into my carry on.
​​​
​​​However on reaching the gate, I saw people clearly carrying on their AND their neighbours kitchen sink, it was clear that info was wrong.

This is my very first time flying QR, and based on this checkin and the overall checkin staff experience plus policy I am much more likely to favour CX for my Asian travels in future.

But thanks for the feedback
Old Feb 28, 19, 11:05 pm

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by ianwall View Post
I had the same last year at MAN, when flying MAN-DOH-CPT, with a 19 hour +Qatar layover. They said that my fare didn't permit a stopover in Doha, so the system was preventing the bags being released in Doha. The only solution was to reprice my fare to one that did allow stopovers, which I declined and repacked into my hand luggage. That worked out OK, so didn't follow it up to know if the correct rules were being applied!
I believe it is MAN ground staff just being unwilling to try to solve the issue for you. I have a similar issue with MAN ground staff last year where they refuse to interline my luggage for MH and QR on separate tickets.

Just not to mention I check my bag with my wife bag together, and he only put the express bag tag on my luggage but not including my wife's luggage. Which kind of very stupid and pointless....
Old Feb 28, 19, 11:29 pm

Programs: QF gold-> platinum
Originally Posted by dici View Post
I believe it is MAN ground staff just being unwilling to try to solve the issue for you. I have a similar issue with MAN ground staff last year where they refuse to interline my luggage for MH and QR on separate tickets.
Through checking of baggage on separate tickets has been against policy for quite some time

eta: apparently was against policy but is now back to policy, subject to MCT. Sounds like all bets are off to me 😉

Last edited by nancypants; Feb 28, 19 at 11:34 pm