Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

60 Qcredits for attaining Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

60 Qcredits for attaining Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:20 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by #1son
once you manage to spend your Qcredits, QR will treat you like crap because you are now holding an upgraded ticket
surely many people have made this complaint before me about not being allowed access to Al Mourjan and getting shunted off to the inferior 1st Class lounge
What if you are QR Plat, does it make a difference? No access to Al Mourjan for QR Plat when upgraded to J using qcredits?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by escape4
What if you are QR Plat, does it make a difference? No access to Al Mourjan for QR Plat when upgraded to J using qcredits?
Makes no difference, no access. Being QR plat is a sad story...
NoY likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by toastedcafe

I will stay in the hotel longer then and not go to the airport early!
Old May 1, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by toastedcafe
A Sad Story? It gives you access to many other first class lounges. It's just that at their home hub you are directed to the first class lounge
#1son likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
A Sad Story? It gives you access to many other first class lounges. It's just that at their home hub you are directed to the first class lounge
I know QRPC rightfully gets a bunch of crap for not being very good to their members, from devaluations to bad lounges at DOH for elites, but as someone who just recently entered the QR ecosystem, QR has made it remarkably easy for me to reach high level elite status with them and subsequently OW. With the smart use of promotional offers, a single rt from the US east coast to SE Asia in J (r-fare bucket) has netted me QR gold and with a subsequent trip to SE Asia coming up, I should be QR platinum by mid-year, and have OW emerald status. I can’t think of another airline where one can reach the highest level status on such few trips. Perhaps that’s why they are devaluing the program? But regardless, as long as QR remains in OW, I am quite happy crediting these trips on QR (which were lovely flights) to QRPC. Just to put it into context, I’ve long flown Delta/Skyteam for domestic/TATL trips and even in paid J, it usually will take me until October to get the mqm’s to reach DL plat and I’m usually just at the cusp of reach diamond by years end (didn’t make it last year, and this is without the use of airline branded credit cards).
Old May 1, 2019, 6:32 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
Yes, sad. When the (laughably called) First Class Lounge at DOH is more akin to a 3rd party contract lounge. Makes BA's Galleries First lounge at LHR look positively abundant with F & B and opulence.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
it is no easy task to make BA's Galleries First lounge look all that good ;-)

you can order champagne in the QR 1st Class lounge and the food is little different than in Al Mourjan, just do not like how QR handles it

and I agree with the post above that QR elite status is fairly easy to maintain and OW Emerald is the real deal
Old May 1, 2019, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by fender5787
I know QRPC rightfully gets a bunch of crap for not being very good to their members, from devaluations to bad lounges at DOH for elites, but as someone who just recently entered the QR ecosystem, QR has made it remarkably easy for me to reach high level elite status with them and subsequently OW. With the smart use of promotional offers, a single rt from the US east coast to SE Asia in J (r-fare bucket) has netted me QR gold and with a subsequent trip to SE Asia coming up, I should be QR platinum by mid-year, and have OW emerald status. I can’t think of another airline where one can reach the highest level status on such few trips.
USA to Asia round-trip on R fare is 160 qpoints so 2 round-trips is only 320 pts, way short of OW Emerald. You would need 4 round-trips (or 3.5 to be precise). You mentioned a promo, something that gave you more qpoints than normal? Was it targeted to you? Last time I checked, without possible promos, QR was not much easier to reach Emerald than other airlines such as AA, AY, BA if you achieve via long round-trips in R so I am surprised to hear your comment.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by escape4
USA to Asia round-trip on R fare is 160 qpoints so 2 round-trips is only 320 pts, way short of OW Emerald. You would need 4 round-trips (or 3.5 to be precise). You mentioned a promo, something that gave you more qpoints than normal? Was it targeted to you? Last time I checked, without possible promos, QR was not much easier to reach Emerald than other airlines such as AA, AY, BA if you achieve via long round-trips in R so I am surprised to hear your comment.
In late February, when I booked my first QR trip to SE Asia I saw a promo for double qpoints and qmiles for a certain booking period and I fell in that period. Now yesterday I saw another promo for double qpoints for flights booked before May 6th and using that promo I just booked another SE Asia trip. Hence, I’m at 320 now and should be at 640 by mid year. Note, these weren’t targeted offers or anything (I wasn’t even a member of QRPC when I saw the first offer), all I needed to do was register the offer from the “my offers” tab on the QRPC website. Yes, getting status this fast means booking tickets during certain promotional periods, but the fact is that there have been a double qpoint promo about once a quarter so far this year, which indicates this seems to be quite a common practice by QR.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:44 am

In late February, when I booked my first QR trip to SE Asia I saw a promo for double qpoints and qmiles for a certain booking period and I fell in that period. Now yesterday I saw another promo for double qpoints for flights booked before May 6th and using that promo I just booked another SE Asia trip. Hence, I’m at 320 now and should be at 640 by mid year. Note, these weren’t targeted offers or anything (I wasn’t even a member of QRPC when I saw the first offer), all I needed to do was register the offer from the “my offers” tab on the QRPC website. Yes, getting status this fast means booking tickets during certain promotional periods, but the fact is that there have been a double qpoint promo about once a quarter so far this year, which indicates this seems to be quite a common practice by QR.
I can confirm to you that it's not a common practice. From memory, in 2015-2017 there were lots of promos, sometimes all the way up to 5x miles, but not so much about qpoints. So you should probably not expect that 2 round trips in R will be sufficient in the future to renew OW emerald. Maybe there will be more promos like that again (hopefully so) but I think 2019 promos of doubling qpoints is the exception not the rule, if we go by historical promos in the last 5 years.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:21 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by #1son
it is no easy task to make BA's Galleries First lounge look all that good ;-)

you can order champagne in the QR 1st Class lounge and the food is little different than in Al Mourjan, just do not like how QR handles it

and I agree with the post above that QR elite status is fairly easy to maintain and OW Emerald is the real deal
"........and the food is little different than in Al Mourjan......"

Really? When I was there it was a limp-looking mini buffet
Are made too order sandwiches & toasties available as per AM? @:-) Perhaps the best food offering in AM, IME
Old May 1, 2019, 11:50 am
Original Poster

the big promo many people missed the point of was called Round the World or something similar, where you needed to visit several specific destinations over one calendar year.

it was not the Qpoints or Qcredits that were significant but the tier upgrade.

since getting Platinum from that promotion, I have found it fairly easy to maintain Plat as Qpoints are I believe, 24 month totals

Last edited by #1son; May 1, 2019 at 11:59 am
Old May 1, 2019, 11:52 am
Original Poster

and sorry I always thought the food at AM was it's weakest point

some of the food in BA Galleries can be quite tasty, I just do not like the cattle feed lot-like presentation ;-)
NoY likes this.

Last edited by #1son; May 1, 2019 at 12:07 pm
Old May 1, 2019, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by [URL=https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1
#1[/URL] son;31056950]
since getting Platinum from that promotion, I have found it fairly easy to maintain Plat as Qpoints are I believe, 24 month totals
As you said it's 24 months so sure you can have boat loads of flights in year #1 and more than exceed requirements for Plat. Then year #2 is very easy to requalify, in fact you might not even need a single flight if you did enough in year #1 . But then year #3 you are back to basics. So it remains incorrect to say that retaining Plat long term is "easy" because you still need to rely on promotions which may or may not come.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I know QRPC rightfully gets a bunch of crap for not being very good to their members, from devaluations to bad lounges at DOH for elites, but as someone who just recently entered the QR ecosystem, QR has made it remarkably easy for me to reach high level elite status with them and subsequently OW. With the smart use of promotional offers, a single rt from the US east coast to SE Asia in J (r-fare bucket) has netted me QR gold and with a subsequent trip to SE Asia coming up, I should be QR platinum by mid-year, and have OW emerald status. I can’t think of another airline where one can reach the highest level status on such few trips. Perhaps that’s why they are devaluing the program? But regardless, as long as QR remains in OW, I am quite happy crediting these trips on QR (which were lovely flights) to QRPC. Just to put it into context, I’ve long flown Delta/Skyteam for domestic/TATL trips and even in paid J, it usually will take me until October to get the mqm’s to reach DL plat and I’m usually just at the cusp of reach diamond by years end (didn’t make it last year, and this is without the use of airline branded credit cards).
In terms of earn/burn, QRPC is a terrible program. I did an analysis comparing QRPC to AAdvantage, and QRPC just doesn't measure up. Link.

I'm on the wind-down of a two year QRPC PLT qualification, and I won't be renewing because I stopped crediting to QRPC completely. I might feel differently if QRPC PLT got me into Al Safwa. However, the only thing it's been good for has been admission to the AA Flagship Lounges, which I use maybe six times/year. Given the pathetic earn/burn ratio, I just could not justify continuing to credit to QRPC. I'd rather live without the Flagship Lounges and, instead, get more redemption tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.