Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by DC10

My miles would expire anyway, so alternative would be to take inter-europe flights on British Airways or Iberia in J.
Then do it. The bathrooms are amazing. They have a snack rack at the from ( akin to the one you get in the bar) plus the greatly enhanced champers and caviar. The seats are also way more comfortable.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: qr
Hi DC10 wont comment on is it worth it question as others have helpfully given a view. My experience was last October had same issues as you with on line request and email to PC - useless.
So braved the airport upgrade process, you need to get there sharpish just befor when check in opens - 3 hours before . Go to customer service desk at end of check in row and ask there . They will check with supervisor and if agreed will fill a form in for you to sign . You can then go to FC check in counter to complete the process. On the day I did it there were 3 others that also requested an UG . Process was very easy and quick - unlike on line and e mail .
I checked expert flyer a few days before flight to keep a watchful eye on F availability . Good luck and please post back

cheers
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Last time i did it: I just asked at check in (business counter). The lady there called (a supervisor?), checked for availability, deducted my miles and got me the F BP. very easy and fast.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: QR Plat ( Y-Commuter)
Originally Posted by DC10

I will have invitation to Business Class Lounge becasue I have J class ticket. Can I upgrade at the Business Class Lounge?
I fly, very often, in from Samui and onwards to Scandinavia on the same PNR. I always walk to the transferdesk to recive loungevoucher and new boardingcards. It is possible that QR J bordingcards issued on other carrier is enough for entrance to Qatar airways own lounge but for me ,as an upgraded,Y-class pax i do need a voucher to axess Miracle first (since Jan 2019) and before that date, the Thai airways businessclass lounges.
My bet is to take care of the upgrade at the transferdesk and then if fail you have one more alternative in the pocket and thats trying at loungeentrance.

Cheers
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: QR
I wouldn't try the lounge because I do not believe they can re-issue your boarding pass... If you have a long wait for QR flight just go through arrivals and go to check in counters to play it safe. Having recently flown in F I believe it is worth it for the experience and in my humble opinion it is a step up from their J.... It might not be private suites but the quality is pretty amazing.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: QR Silver, TK Elite+, Accor Gold, Mariott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond and IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ikraamk
I wouldn't try the lounge because I do not believe they can re-issue your boarding pass... If you have a long wait for QR flight just go through arrivals and go to check in counters to play it safe. Having recently flown in F I believe it is worth it for the experience and in my humble opinion it is a step up from their J.... It might not be private suites but the quality is pretty amazing.
Thank you for advise. If I land on time in Bangkok today I will go out to the check-in and try to upgrade there. Alternatively I will try at Transit Desk or Lounge. If I am successful with upgrade I will let you know. Anyway I will post my trip report to my blog and here.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: QR Silver, TK Elite+, Accor Gold, Mariott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond and IHG Diamond Ambassador
Hello,

Unfortunately I didt upgrade to the First Class. My flight from Koh Samui was delayed for an hour. I reached the Qatar Airways Premiun Lounge 55 minutes prior departure time. I asked for upgrade, they called somewhere and told me that is not possible. I asked again at the gate and they called again and told me is not possible.

Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Fast Track Immigration cards for QR J Pax at BKK?

Hi all,

Anyone know if business class pax arriving at BKK are given fast track immigration passes or are allowed in the fast track immigration line? Ive never flow QR to BKK but on other airlines J class to BKK, Ive seen that the officials at the fast track line require a priority card and my J class boarding pass was not enough. Its not the biggest deal for me, but anyone thats arrived in BKK surely knows how bad the regular immigration lines can get at peak times. Thanks so much!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:19 am

Yes, fast track passes will be handed out.

Other advice: There are three immigration halls at BKK. – Use the middle one...
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC
OWE status in Y can also ask for the pass for fast track immigration.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Last time I arrived at BKK, they gave out the fast track cards on the air bridge rather than onboard.
Markie, Flyiboy and NJSwamplands like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:06 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Huh, I flew to BKK in Y in October as a QR Plat/OWE and wasn’t offered a fast track card. I asked about it during the descent and was given one as an “exception” as I was told that the rule changed and they’re now only for F/J passengers.

Any more recent reports to confirm this or a change of it?

khabah
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum
If I am not mistaken it's a new rule from AOT that they only allow first and business class passengers to use the fast track now.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:04 am

When I passed through fast track a few weeks ago at 1am, it was pretty busy with queues about ten people long. And yes, I do mean 1am.

It's, therefore, not surprising that they want to cut down on the number of users.

The normal queues were much, much longer though.
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: QR Plat, BA Silver
Literally I just stepped off QR832 today and onboard before landing stewardess on my aisle informed me proactive about to collect a fast track card in gangway from ground crew. Same information was given from ism/csm in her thank you speech. Before somebody ask, was in Y as Plat.
Traveller999 and NJSwamplands like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.