Infant lap seat for a oneworld award

Old Feb 18, 19, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Infant lap seat for a oneworld award

Hi, I used my AA miles to book two J class seats on QR from LHR - DOH - KHI. When I asked about adding my 4 month old as a lap child, I was told to call Qatar once the ticket has been issued and they would charge me 10% of the current adult fare in J to add her to our booking.

It has now been over a month and I've been sent back and forth between QR and AA, each time I get a different answer. Before they kept pointing to each other and sending me back and forth and now I'm being told I would need to purchase a full fare seat in J for the infant as that is my only option otherwise to cancel my whole itinerary and book the whole thing using cash.

This makes no sense, can anyone who has experience booking an infant seat on QR help me? Looks like whatever spat is going on between QR and Oneworld is starting to affect customers.
Old Feb 18, 19, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It makes no sense. The proper approach is for QR to issue an infant ticket for LHR-KHI and charge it as 10% of the J fare as it exists on the date of travel.

Do a three-way call with AA and QR. Tends to end the finger-pointing.
Old Feb 18, 19, 8:19 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Call QR and quote this website. https://www.qatarairways.com/en-jp/f...s-baggage.html
Essentially, ask them to issue an infant ticket (on QR ticket stock)
Then, link the ticket with your adult ticket (on AA ticket stock) to establish the "accompanied infant" relationship (your infant cannot travel alone!)
Then, assign your infant the same seat as your seat (i.e. lap infant)
It will take several calls to get this resolved. I suggest you call one of the outstations (in US/Canada/UK/Australia) who are more familiar with the child ticket scenario.
(I am not saying Doha team wont know, but rather, they may not be used to dealing with parent/child tickets issued on different carriers.
Finally, know that any changes to your adult ticket (on AA) will surely mess up the infant ticket...so assume no changes allowed once issued!
Old Feb 18, 19, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The "total inflexibility" point is critical. If you change your AA ticket for any reason, you restart the entire QR process. Regretably, this may also apply to involuntary changes. The latter are unavoidable, but at least you know that once things are sorted with AA, you then have another process with QR.
Old Feb 21, 19, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you all. After much back and forth I even called Qatar and they said they will request an exception to issue the infant ticket and to call after 48 hours. Called after 48 hours and was told it was denied and there is nothing they can do.

Next day called American again and wouldn't take no for an answer. They called the QR liason for oneworld who accepted its Qatar's responsibility and told us to ask for a supervisor next time we call the call center.

Decided to try a different approach, called the US number and got lucky. Lade names Alexandra at their support service in Ft Lauderdale knew exactly what to do and was able to issue the ticket in 10 mins. Honestly she was so courteous and efficient I'm going to recommend everyone call there directly and ask for her by name facing this issue.

Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions and helped with this, I would have given up if you hadn't told me to keep trying.
Old Mar 18, 19, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: RIP
This was handled with no issues by +1 877 777 2827. More info in the other thread. Instant e-ticket etc.
Old Apr 21, 19, 8:48 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
I was recently in a similar position to OP, and after having been refused several times by QR in DOH, I finally found more support from the call centre in the US. Whilst the first agent there also initially stated that it couldn't be done, the second agent passed me on to a supervisor who handled the issue with competence, courtesy and skill. So another thumbs up to the US call centre from me! ^
Old Apr 22, 19, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by abaaz View Post
When I asked about adding my 4 month old as a lap child ....
You should also give some consideration to safety, as well. You wouldn't take your four month old child in a car without a car seat; at least consider it for the plane. While there are very few aircraft accidents with injuries, car seats also protect against injuries from severe turbulence. Yes, an extra seat may cost several hundred dollars. But in the unfortunate circumstance that your child were to be injured on a flight, you would kick yourself for not spending the extra money.

Just something to think about....
Old Feb 16, 20, 11:06 pm

I would like to add my 2c

I bought 2x J on QR using Asia Miles I wanted to add an infant ticket to the booking. Was advised by CX to call QR. Called QR the Australian number.. was told they can't do it and to call CX. Called CX and was told I had to call QR. Called QR and again - the guy said "it was against their policy after speaking to supervisor"... I mean how hard can it be?! anyways i ended up calling the Global service number +974 40 230 000 and they issued a ticket straight away... 10% of the adult fare.
KrissyK90 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 20, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by bobbinbrisco View Post

I bought 2x J on QR using Asia Miles I wanted to add an infant ticket to the booking. Was advised by CX to call QR. Called QR the Australian number.. was told they can't do it and to call CX. Called CX and was told I had to call QR. Called QR and again - the guy said "it was against their policy after speaking to supervisor"... I mean how hard can it be?! anyways i ended up calling the Global service number +974 40 230 000 and they issued a ticket straight away... 10% of the adult fare.
Thanks for the data points, help me immensely.
Old Apr 10, 20, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
abaaz did your trip go smoothly after the lap infant ticket was successfully issued?
Old Jul 30, 20, 8:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by abaaz View Post
Thank you all. After much back and forth I even called Qatar and they said they will request an exception to issue the infant ticket and to call after 48 hours. Called after 48 hours and was told it was denied and there is nothing they can do.

Next day called American again and wouldn't take no for an answer. They called the QR liason for oneworld who accepted its Qatar's responsibility and told us to ask for a supervisor next time we call the call center.

Decided to try a different approach, called the US number and got lucky. Lade names Alexandra at their support service in Ft Lauderdale knew exactly what to do and was able to issue the ticket in 10 mins. Honestly she was so courteous and efficient I'm going to recommend everyone call there directly and ask for her by name facing this issue.

Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions and helped with this, I would have given up if you hadn't told me to keep trying.
Similar scenario as others in this thread. Wife and I booked J tickets using AA miles and we needed to add our son (infant) to the reservation. First called Qatar, they said call AA, AA tried but said I have to call QR....another 5 calls to QR, both local NL office and global number, nada. Finally got through to the US call center (was having issues with the numbers, maybe COVID related?) and the lovely woman on the line had it all sorted in 20 minutes. Phew! This thread was so clutch, thank you everyone!
Old Jan 17, 21, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by bobbinbrisco View Post

How was the fare price? Based on full fare? and was your one way (since one way fares are sometimes astronomical)
Old Feb 6, 22, 3:02 pm

Just got off the phone call. I dialed +1 877 777 2827 and was routed to the Doha call center the first time and the India call center the second time.

Booked my spouse in Qatar Airways business class using Alaska miles. The agent on the first call said they received a policy update in July 2021 stating that only infant tickets cannot be issued and associated with a redemption award ticket of a partner airline.

The agent on the second call said its possible but I need to to call the Privilege Club number to book the infant ticket.

Anybody have an idea on the above policy change (based on the first call) and whether you have been able to book only an infant revenue ticket at 10% of Business Class fare after July 2021? There is a post on Reddit who has stated that they were able to purchase an infant ticket in the 3rd week of Sep 2021 so I am hoping the first agent I spoke to is incorrect.

Last edited by GarudaSoars; Feb 6, 22 at 5:39 pm
Old Feb 7, 22, 11:14 am

Wanted to post an update.

I reached out to the Global service number +974 40 230 000 and the agent checked with her supervisor and said they could book the infant ticket. They would send me an email with the payment link and once payment was made, the infant eTicket would be instantly generated. I could then call Alaska and ask them to attach it to my wife's ticket or I could do it at the airport with Qatar (though strangely they said hey could not do it at the call center). The alternatives are fine so no worries.

My wife's ticket is USA -> DOH -> GCC Country. Alaska booked USA-DOH in Business but DOH -> GCC in Economy. No matter what date I check, DOH -> GCC always show in Economy and never any Business/First availability. while USA-DOH is bookable in Business. The DOH -> GCC country flight does have a First Class cabin. When I try and book on British Airways, BA is able to ticket the entire segment in Business/First.

So when the agent tried to price the infant ticket she said Qatar's system did not allow her to priced a mixed-cabin itinerary for the infant ticket. I was happy paying 10% of the Business Class fare for the entire segment and the infant could just with the mother in economy for the final segment but she said they can't book the infant completely in business if the accompanying adult has a different cabin. Completely understand where she is coming from.

Ended up having to cancel the ticket and book with Emirates.

Wondering whether Alaska not showing Business/First Class availability is a technical issue at Alaska's end or at Qatar's end.

Search this Thread