LGW Lounge and connection times

Old Feb 14, 19, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
LGW Lounge and connection times

Maybe I'm mad but my 18 year old son is off to BKK for his first trip without parents (he's meeting his grandfather in Thailand for part of his trip).

He's in Y but has Silver with BA so I'm assuming he will have no problem access the lounge at LGW? What lounge is it? Is it where the old BA one was?

Also, due to a change in flight time on the DOH to BKK flight he now just has a 40 minute connection. He will be checking bags too. Any good advice apart from run?

I know he would have been due lounge access in DOH but clearly won't have time (unless he misses the connection) but if he need am I right in thinking it won't be the usual huge QR lounge I would have enjoyed when in J?
Old Feb 14, 19, 8:50 am

Programs: qatar airways
Originally Posted by kingcole974 View Post
Maybe I'm mad but my 18 year old son is off to BKK for his first trip without parents (he's meeting his grandfather in Thailand for part of his trip).

He's in Y but has Silver with BA so I'm assuming he will have no problem access the lounge at LGW? What lounge is it? Is it where the old BA one was?

Also, due to a change in flight time on the DOH to BKK flight he now just has a 40 minute connection. He will be checking bags too. Any good advice apart from run?

I know he would have been due lounge access in DOH but clearly won't have time (unless he misses the connection) but if he need am I right in thinking it won't be the usual huge QR lounge I would have enjoyed when in J?
at Check in in Gatwick they will give him access to the lounge they use ( I think it's the no 1 lounge or maybe an aspire ). At Doha he needs to check which gate his plane departs from and go straight to the gate. It will be a rush but doable. If he had had time to use a lounge he would have had access to the HIA business lounge.
Old Feb 14, 19, 10:21 am

Programs: QR Platinum, HH Gold

Minimum connection time at DOH is 45 minutes, so I would strongly advise checking the booking for any changes.

Lounge access will be Aspire at LGW and the Business lounge in DOH if he has time - note that this is not the Al Mourjan (which is strictly for J pax only) but the FF lounges accessed via the escalators next to the big yellow teddy bear.

Hope he will enjoy the flights!
Old Feb 14, 19, 11:51 am

Programs: qr
yep I agree 40 mins could be very tight especially if your son has not flown through DOH before. On some occasions ( and I include myself in this ) agents wait at the arrival gate to try and whisk passengers onto tight connections. My experience of this was not so good as they had a sign and then told me I had missed the flight. I disagree this advice and high tailed it to the outbound gate ( A380 TO BKK) where I was welcomed and boarded without issue, though I was one of the last . So if this were to happen he could make it , but I would still check the 40 min connection time as technically its below MCT. If the LGW flight was late then it would be a failed connection and they would re book on next flight. As BKK has high frequency of flights maybe worthwhile seeing if there is a better connection (. that offers a more relaxed connection time ) and call QR to see if they can change it. This would also allow him to use the Business class one world lounge as silver.
Old Feb 14, 19, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
He has boarding passes for both and the LGW departure is currently scheduled to arrive 15 minutes early so looking positive. He’s been through DOH with me before but then I know we had to do security again so it’s been a while
Old Feb 15, 19, 1:26 pm

Programs: qr
He has boarding passes for both and the LGW departure is currently scheduled to arrive 15 minutes early so looking positive. Heís been through DOH with me before but then I know we had to do security again so itís been a while
how did your sone get on - did he make the connection ?