Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR retires A380 after 10 years (~2024-2028)

QR retires A380 after 10 years (~2024-2028)

Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Truth is the A380 hasn't been the success that Boeing hoped for.
Actually, I bet that it's exactly the success that Boeing hoped for!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:21 pm

Is my favorite aircraft for economy flying too. Especially as a family. Plenty of space to walk around and stretch your legs. Especially compared to having practically no space on the 787!
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:26 pm

Now Airbus has confirmed it.

Airbus and Emirates reach agreement on A380 fleet, sign new widebody orders
  • Emirates to reduce its A380 orderbook by 39 aircraft
  • Orders 40 A330neo and 30 A350s
  • Last delivery of A380 scheduled for 2021
Following a review of its operations, and in light of developments in aircraft and engine technologies, Emirates is reducing its A380 orderbook from 162 to 123 aircraft. Emirates will take delivery of 14 further A380s over the next two years. As a consequence and given the lack of order backlog with other airlines, Airbus will cease deliveries of the A380 in 2021.

Emirates has also decided to continue growing with Airbus’ newest generation, flexible widebody aircraft, ordering 40 A330-900 and 30 A350-900 aircraft.

“As a result of this decision we have no substantial A380 backlog and hence no basis to sustain production, despite all our sales efforts with other airlines in recent years. This leads to the end of A380 deliveries in 2021,” said Airbus Chief Executive Officer Tom Enders. “The consequences of this decision are largely embedded in our 2018 full year results”.

“The A380 is not only an outstanding engineering and industrial achievement. Passengers all over the world love to fly on this great aircraft. Hence today’s announcement is painful for us and the A380 communities worldwide. But, keep in mind that A380s will still roam the skies for many years to come and Airbus will of course continue to fully support the A380 operators,” Tom Enders added.

“The A380 is Emirates’ flagship and has contributed to the airline’s success for more than ten years. As much as we regret the airline’s position, selecting the A330neo and A350 for its future growth is a great endorsement of our very competitive widebody aircraft family,” said Guillaume Faury, President of Airbus Commercial Aircraft and future Airbus CEO. “Going forward, we are fully committed to deliver on the longstanding confidence Emirates is placing in Airbus.”

Airbus will start discussions with its social partners in the next few weeks regarding the 3,000 to 3,500 positions potentially impacted over the next three years. However, the ongoing A320 ramp-up and the new widebody order from Emirates Airline will offer a significant number of internal mobility opportunities.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Maybe they'll introduce First back on the 777X (If they also keep the AS Lounge). On the popular routes like LHR, they could introduce premium Aircrafts which only has 1st & business (bit like the A319 where it had all business). People who usually fly in F/J do appreciate when there is no economy cabin.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: qr
Originally Posted by Fontana
Maybe they'll introduce First back on the 777X (If they also keep the AS Lounge). On the popular routes like LHR, they could introduce premium Aircrafts which only has 1st & business (bit like the A319 where it had all business). People who usually fly in F/J do appreciate when there is no economy cabin.
Sad news as I really too like the A380 and specifically the bar which I have found to be one of the nicest flying experiences I have been fortunate to have. I think the days are numbered for F which if you can believe what the chief has been saying was to be removed in preference for revised J class - enter Q suite. I think this decision about the A380 will put to bed any desire to reconfigure J class with a version of Q suite , however on the upside I would imagine both the Bar and F class will remain until the aircraft end their service.
I cannot see them starting another all Premium route to London or anywhere else, that was trailed and not that popular in the end , however it did secure another slot for them at LHR where eventually it was utilised by a normal wide body aircraft.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I'm also super sad to see this - as an LHR flyer I always aim for the A380s and they are my favourite to fly in all classes (narrowly beating the Qsuite, as I love the lounge!).

Have QR also dropped the final 2 aircrafts on order then? I thought they were originally going to take 10 A380s, but (if I'm not wrong) they've stopped at 8?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I wonder if Airbus' terminating the 380 program will breathe new life into the 748. Anyone have any idea of operating cost/profitability for the 748 compared to the 77W or 77X?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I wonder if Airbus' terminating the 380 program will breathe new life into the 748. Anyone have any idea of operating cost/profitability for the 748 compared to the 77W or 77X?
I talked to an 77W's CPT yesterday, he said the Boeing has less maintenance cost than the Airbus.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: qr
Originally Posted by purple1addict
I'm also super sad to see this - as an LHR flyer I always aim for the A380s and they are my favourite to fly in all classes (narrowly beating the Qsuite, as I love the lounge!).

Have QR also dropped the final 2 aircrafts on order then? I thought they were originally going to take 10 A380s, but (if I'm not wrong) they've stopped at 8?
As far as I know they originally ordered 10 A 380 's all of which have been delivered and are in service now. The last one being taken in April 2018. So if QR stick to the 10 year service aspiration we may have until 2028 on the last frame. That said if running costs are viewed as too great it may mean they will phase them out sooner given 10 frames were delivered over a period of 4 years. I suppose a lot depends on what second hand market there is for them , which currently is not too great
purple1addict likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:01 pm

A380 don't have q suites?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: QR Gold, Skyteam Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I think QR never really loved their A380s. I flew it only once, but read many reports of course. Cant remember a truely enthusiastic report. And also my limited experience was disappointing in terms of food (80% identical to C class) and service (crew had a bad day maybe). I think QR very early set their sails on developing a product which makes F redundant..and they feel they have this product now. Actually, when it comes to the roomyness of their A380 cabin their 777 gives you almost the same space..sometimes with a neighbour, admitedly.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Aston100
A380 don't have q suites?
No. They said that they are looking for some special design that will fit but haven't heard anything new about that for a while now.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
Do you think there is a market for the A380 in the 2nd hand market with the likes of HiFly/Titan/AN Other etc?

Fully economy 380 from the UK to the canaries?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I've flown several times on the MEL route with the A380 packed to the brim in Y. This is a route for which it makes perfect sense. As a pax, I find the A380 FAR superior to the 773 QR used to fly into MEL prior to that, mainly because of the noise. 777s are ridiculously LOUD. I hope Boeing is improving the noise level with the 777X because the old/current one is WAY too much.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Totally agree Florin. The 777 is a loud beast better suited to being a cargo aircraft. The A380 is by far the best in-flight experience of any aircraft be that Airbus or Boeing. Airbus over sound proofs its aircraft esp the A380 and A350. Boeing won't ever come to that party as it would add weight; Boeing only care about airlines, not their passengers, whereas Airbus cares about both.I refuse to fly the 777 aircraft on anything over 5 hours simply horrible atmospherics and noise +++! I don't think the 777x will be any better noise or atmospherics wise. When the A380 goes it will be the A350 for me wherever possible esp on long and ultra long haul. Boeing just doesn't cut it for me to waste my money on a horrible in-flight experience. Wont even start on the cramped in any class Boeing 777!
florin and Traveller999 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.