24 hours in DOH First Class lounge?!

Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

24 hours in DOH First Class lounge?!

Ok so a bit of a weird one here but hear me out...

I will be flying to Perth on QR First in April and i land from HKG in Business Class at 23.30 (ish) on April 24th before departing for Perth at 02.00 (ish) on April 26th (26.5 hours later).

I had the option of simply taking a 2.5 hour stopover in Doha before continuing but wanted to rest up before my flight as I will have just come off JFK-HKG and HKG-DOH.

Although I understand I could get a hotel for the night, spend some time in Doha and then head to the airport and visit the lounge, I saw that the lounge has sleeping areas almost like hotels and was wondering the following:

- If I left the airport, waited two hours and checked into my flight then headed through security with 24 hours to go, would I be allowed access into the lounge for 23/24 hours or would they chuck me out or even refuse entrance and make me regret my decision while sitting at my gate counting down the hours.

All feedback appreciated!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by RajStevenson

I will be flying to Perth on QR First in April and i land from HKG in Business Class at 23.30 (ish) on April 24th before departing for Perth at 02.00 (ish) on April 26th (26.5 hours later).

I had the option of simply taking a 2.5 hour stopover in Doha before continuing but wanted to rest up before my flight as I will have just come off JFK-HKG and HKG-DOH.

Although I understand I could get a hotel for the night, spend some time in Doha and then head to the airport and visit the lounge, I saw that the lounge has sleeping areas almost like hotels and was wondering the following:

- If I left the airport, waited two hours and checked into my flight then headed through security with 24 hours to go, would I be allowed access into the lounge for 23/24 hours or would they chuck me out or even refuse entrance and make me regret my decision while sitting at my gate counting down the hours.

All feedback appreciated!

The bedrooms are, in theory at least, time-limited. And although the lounge is nice enough, it's still just an airport lounge : staying there for 24 hours is bonkers.

The idea of messing about landside at the airport for a couple of hours before checking in with a 24 hour wait ahead of you airside is beyond bonkers
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
...<snipped for brevity>...All feedback appreciated!
2.5 hours connection time is adequate to head to the lounge, shower, eat and then take the next flight out. The DOH lounge for premium class passengers is one of the better ones in the OW alliance and they have plenty of showers. After a hot shower and hot meal I'm usually well rested for another long haul flight in QR's premium cabins.

If you really want to overnight then I'd recommend staying at the Oryx Rotana hotel where QR accommodates their premium passengers for missed connections. Then after a good nights rest and a hearty breakfast take a tour of the city, rest again and then head to the airport for your next trip. I've been accommodated twice on missed connections at this hotel and recommend it. QR *may* have a discounted rate at this hotel for paid stays. Link here.

There is also an Airport Oryx Hotel at DOH.
boss315 likes this.

Last edited by ROW2Aisle; Feb 9, 2019 at 7:30 pm Reason: Hotel Link
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hi there OP ..... you begin your post by describing your idea as a “bit of a weird one” ; and end it by raising the possibility that circumstances could make you regret your decision.

Personally, I’d say it’s more than weird : I honestly believe it’s one of the most oddball lounge-related questions seen ....... and the Forum does get some crazy stuff ! And even if you were somehow allowed to carry it through ..... I’m very sure that you would indeed come to regret it.

So my own advice is very straighforward, and amounts to just three words : Don’t do it
anniegray, orbitmic and indomie like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: QR Platinum
I will be flying to Perth on QR First in April !
Paid F ticket with cash or upgraded from J to F? If upgraded from J to F you will have no access to AS but can buy access for 6H.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Wouldnt this qualify for a free stopover hotel, or has that programme ended now?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The bedrooms are, in theory at least, time-limited. And although the lounge is nice enough, it's still just an airport lounge : staying there for 24 hours is bonkers.

The idea of messing about landside at the airport for a couple of hours before checking in with a 24 hour wait ahead of you airside is beyond bonkers
Hahahaha I totally understand. Guess it's a hotel for the night then!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
2.5 hours connection time is adequate to head to the lounge, shower, eat and then take the next flight out. The DOH lounge for premium class passengers is one of the better ones in the OW alliance and they have plenty of showers. After a hot shower and hot meal I'm usually well rested for another long haul flight in QR's premium cabins.

If you really want to overnight then I'd recommend staying at the Oryx Rotana hotel where QR accommodates their premium passengers for missed connections. Then after a good nights rest and a hearty breakfast take a tour of the city, rest again and then head to the airport for your next trip. I've been accommodated twice on missed connections at this hotel and recommend it. QR *may* have a discounted rate at this hotel for paid stays. Link here.

There is also an Airport Oryx Hotel at DOH.
See I think for my own sanity I'll need a stopover and a bit of time on the ground after doing LHR-HKG-DOH already! The Oryx hotels look rather expensive so I think I'll head into town and spend the day in Doha
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by subject2load
Hi there OP ..... you begin your post by describing your idea as a bit of a weird one ; and end it by raising the possibility that circumstances could make you regret your decision.

Personally, Id say its more than weird : I honestly believe its one of the most oddball lounge-related questions seen ....... and the Forum does get some crazy stuff ! And even if you were somehow allowed to carry it through ..... Im very sure that you would indeed come to regret it.

So my own advice is very straighforward, and amounts to just three words : Dont do it
You're right, FT is full of weird ideas so I am proud that my question was up there 😉
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crisu69
Paid F ticket with cash or upgraded from J to F? If upgraded from J to F you will have no access to AS but can buy access for 6H.
Award ticket.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etiene
Wouldnt this qualify for a free stopover hotel, or has that programme ended now?
As far as I'm aware you only qualify if you're forced into the stopover whereas I wasn't forced into it I chose the 26 hour stopover
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

I will have just come off JFK-HKG and HKG-DOH.

I'll need a stopover and a bit of time on the ground after doing LHR-HKG-DOH already!

...and getting weirder
glennhaak and orbitmic like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I'll need a stopover and a bit of time on the ground after doing LHR-HKG-DOH already!
Ah, that's nothing! In six hours, I start the last five flights of a RTW MR, then immediately start my next RTW MR (but this one will be in F).
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
As far as I'm aware you only qualify if you're forced into the stopover whereas I wasn't forced into it I chose the 26 hour stopover
Sorry, I think I should have referred to +Qatar - which does exactly the same thing but without the first flight you could get requirement.

Looks like its no longer free, but unless theyve changed the rules markedly this year you should qualify:
https://www.discoverqatar.qa/stopover/
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
How do you even get HKG-DOH-PER ticketed ??

In any case this would not qualify for a free hotel as you have "artificially" stretched your stopover from 2.5h to 24h+ and QR eliminates this from the get go by their rules.

The Al Safwa Lounge is one of the most boring, yet stunning airport facilities around. That being said I had enough of it after 5 hours. Even a golden cage is just a cage!

My suggestion: Screw the lounge, have a short look and a shower then maximize your F time on board. Alternatively get yourself a nice hotel like the W and chill for a while.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.