Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Weight allowed carryon in "J", strict enforcement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime plat 2.5 million

I will be traveling PHL-DOH-EVN and return in paid J in June. I can get all I require into a roll aboard and a personal item. The carryon allowance shown on the QR site shows 2 pieces at 15 kg . Are they strict about the weights? I know I will be over 20 kg total.

If they are lenient oh PHL/DOH, will they also be lenient DOH/EVN?

Thanks in advance for replies
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: EC Silver FC Silver
Haven't travelled those routes though never had any carryons checked at the gate, or on the plane, when travelling QR J.

Assume you will be able to lift both bags into the overhead bins yourself? If so, I'd be downright shocked if anyone batted an eyelid.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Most of the time they don't enforce, but what is your plan B if they do? Can you afford for one or both carryons to be checked-in?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:39 am

The dimensions of the carry-on are more important than the weight. As long as your roller and personal item does not appear to be non-compliant in terms of dimensions you will be OK. Worse case scenario you check the roller at the gate...not the end of the world.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
Flown J, got myself a 20” cabin luggage and 2 28L backpacks. No one stopped me.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
I flew business class LHR-DOH-CNX 10 days ago. At check-in they wanted to see my hand luggage as I wasn't checking anything in. My wheely case is quite dinky and fits all the check-my-size bins, and on seeing it the check in person seemed happy, and gave me a hand-baggage tag for it, which possibly indicates that it's been seen and approved. Exactly the same procedure returning from CNX. I don't often fly long-haul with no checked baggage, but it feels very liberating!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Qatar Airways - GOLD
Had arround 12 flights between GVA DOH CRK DOH GVA, always with a bag more closer to 20kg than 10kg. Sometime ground staff asked to see bag (as no check in bag), even saw the overweight but always been fine. BTW, 95% of the flights in Y (gold member). So I doubt they would have say anything in J.

Julien
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I've been asked to wait a few times. Other times it's been fine. It seems to depend on the station though weighting s definitely more frequent than it used to be (I'm talking about J experience only, Y is worse).
clubeurope and citytom like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I just flew last week bos-doh and doh-jfk and had a rollerboard - legal but not small, and a backpack which was quite full. different plane configurations but plenty of room. It is not like the the review in the US as you enter the security area. Your carryons will be tagged at check in for security purposes. There were no issues at either airport with the items. at doh, the qr staff meet you at the curb with hotel luggage carts to assist you with check in, so your luggage is a pretty small load. Enjoy the flight and the service.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: QR Gold/OW Sapphire
I have had to weigh my bags twice. Once I was flying economy as a Silver member and was slightly over, and it was not an issue.

Once I was Gold and flying business class & I was severely overweight (though my roller was small as was my personal bag). I was carrying a gaming laptop which by itself was over 7kg plus an ultraportable, a Macbook, a Kindle, and a Fire Tablet. Plus the usual charging cables and miscellaneous junk you put in carry-on.

The agent was sympathetic but unwilling to budge in telling me I couldn't take all of that weight onboard. I told her that was going to be a problem as I didn't trust the safety of my electronics in the checked bag (both in handling and in potential for theft). Bag, mind you, not bags... so it's not like I was checking three bags maxed out in weight and taking up space in the cargo hold. I simply was in an unusual situation where I had a lot of valuable electronics with me.

She told me that even if she allowed me to go through security with the bags, I'd be reweighed at the gate and then be in the same boat. I was calm but firmly told her that I absolutely could not check anything that would make a difference (because #1 on the list to go would have been the gaming laptop). The manager happened to come over at that point and gave me a VERY SPECIAL one-time exemption.

Rules are rules, I know. But I still can't believe that they were such sticklers over something like weight (and I still can't understand how it makes a difference to carry X kg in carry-on vs checked). Particularly to a Gold member flying business class.

I've never been weighed in transit in Doha.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:06 pm

Nobody ever cared about my hand luggage when flying QR, neither in C nor Y, except one time in ZRH. I was moving between countries so I had a lot of stuff, carry on, garment bag, laptop bag, backpack, etc. Was approached by the gate agent upon boarding who insisted on putting a hand luggage tag on my carry on.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by citytom
Haven't travelled those routes though never had any carryons checked at the gate, or on the plane, when travelling QR J.
Based on reports here, it depends greatly on how they do things at the departure airport. For example, there are reports of very strict enforcement at LAX.

Originally Posted by citytom
Assume you will be able to lift both bags into the overhead bins yourself? If so, I'd be downright shocked if anyone batted an eyelid.
Really? I'm trying to remember the last time someone from QR cabin crew didn't offer to help get my bag into the overhead. You sure you're not thinking of AA?

Originally Posted by casterpix343
The dimensions of the carry-on are more important than the weight. As long as your roller and personal item does not appear to be non-compliant in terms of dimensions you will be OK.
As I said above, it depends on the departure outstation. BKK, for example, is also fairly strict.

Originally Posted by indomie
I was carrying a gaming laptop which by itself was over 7kg plus an ultraportable, a Macbook, a Kindle, and a Fire Tablet.
I have the same problem with my Alienware 17. It's around 11 pounds, I think.

Rules are rules, I know. But I still can't believe that they were such sticklers over something like weight (and I still can't understand how it makes a difference to carry X kg in carry-on vs checked). Particularly to a Gold member flying business class.
If they're not going to enforce the rules, why have them?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: QR Gold/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
If they're not going to enforce the rules, why have them?
I agree with you, but they are very selectively enforced. Two times in 40+ flights is hardly what I'd call enforcing a rule. I actually did not even know there was a weight limit on QA until I was told I was over the limit.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I agree with you, but they are very selectively enforced.
IME it's less selective than random and unpredictable.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC
I had J hand luggage weighed (please put your hand carry on the belt where it was tagged) at check-in at BRU and BKK previously, but not at AKL, AMS, HND, PSA, OSL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.