Wiki Posts
Search

Front section of Cabin Blocked out

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Front section of Cabin Blocked out

Hi all,

I am flying on QR20 (DUB - DOH) tomorrow and I had originally selected 12D from a few weeks ago. At online check in, I was moved back to 22D and the entire front of the cabin in completely blocked. Expertflyer is showing 9 in all fare codes. Anybody know the reasoning behind this? Take this flight a lot and have never seen this happen.

Also, does anybody have any good way of telling how busy a flight will be? Are the blocked seats a reflection of actual seat filled?

Seat Map

Last edited by jah718; Jan 25, 2019 at 2:53 am
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Gold, M&M FQT
Had the same with several QR flights and could not find out about the load with the seat map - once the flight was nearly full, the other one was nearly empty. Why they block that much? I don't know. However, expertflyer showing a lot of "nines" (or whatever) for the booking classes is a good indicator.
jah718 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
I've known that happen, on a lightly-loaded Malaysian A380, where they wanted to group the few actual passengers centrally, for load-balance.
jah718 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've seen this a lot on very lightly loaded QR flights - good chance the first few rows of Y will be completely empty and you can move after take-off.
jah718 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, I will hope that it is lightly loaded! Will report back.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Similar thing for QR2 LHR-DOH tonight [I've been watching occasionally as I'm taking this in Y in a couple of months]...

Would be a bit irritating to be squashed up with everyone else when there was plenty of room to have a row to ourselves though - would be good if you can report back as to whether the airport desk will move you back to a more sensible arrangement before boarding.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Can report back on this now. At check in, I asked if they could open up any of the blocked seats at the front of the cabin, they checked with manager and said due to weight and balance issues, they could not open up those seats. She did give me a row of 3 and blocked the other seats in the row.

During the flight, many people moved to the empty section without issue. However, a few minutes before arrival, the FA came over the speaker and said that everyone has to go back to original seats to comply with weight and balance regulations.

In other news, three people sitting in front of me at the emergency exit at row 26 absolutely stunk of alcohol and sweat and proceeded to have their seats fully reclined during takeoff and the one at the window had his feet up on the emergency exit door. FA sitting half a meter away from them during takeoff never said anything to them or made them put their seats up. Slightly concerning from a safety point of view as I was completely hemmed into the window seat and in the event of an emergency, it would have been very difficult to get out.

Later in the flight, two of the people put their shoes under the seat, which meant their shoes were sitting in my legroom area. All in all, very unpleasant people...
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by jah718
During the flight, many people moved to the empty section without issue. However, a few minutes before arrival, the FA came over the speaker and said that everyone has to go back to original seats to comply with weight and balance regulations.
No-one tried to move before take-off? Would be interesting to know if they would have asked people to take assigned seats then too.

All in all, I've no great issue with this if people aren't forced onto a row with others when it's not necessary - and even then a quick explanation on boarding and before landing would be fine if people are allowed to move wherever in the interim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.