Got denied entry to Doha

Old Jan 22, 19, 9:23 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: UK/TZ
Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Posts: 306
Got denied entry to Doha

So basically I was flying back to LHR and had a connection of 7 hours in Doha... Mrs wanted to go outside the airport for dinner and we went towards arrivals only to be told by immigration to head back up if I just wanted to have 'dinner'... my fault here was to answer his question truthfully which was how long will I be staying in Doha which was about a couple of hours.

I felt like he was unnecessarily showing his authority and I could've easily just gone to a different immigration officer 5mins later but just couldnt believe this whole situation and went back to the lounge. I thought Qatar wanted to get more people spending money with the whole visa free launch but oh well

FYI: British passport holder
salehir is online now  
Old Jan 22, 19, 10:40 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by salehir View Post
So basically I was flying back to LHR and had a connection of 7 hours in Doha... Mrs wanted to go outside the airport for dinner and we went towards arrivals only to be told by immigration to head back up if I just wanted to have 'dinner'... my fault here was to answer his question truthfully which was how long will I be staying in Doha which was about a couple of hours.

I felt like he was unnecessarily showing his authority and I could've easily just gone to a different immigration officer 5mins later but just couldnt believe this whole situation and went back to the lounge. I thought Qatar wanted to get more people spending money with the whole visa free launch but oh well

FYI: British passport holder
Weird, we had a long layover too, stored our luggage in the lounge, went through the private immigration lane and went to souq waqif for a couple of hours...

No issue

USA Passport
DENQR is offline  
Old Jan 22, 19, 10:48 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,672
Family of the immigration officer owning food outlets in the airport?
FlyingScientist is offline  
Old Jan 22, 19, 11:16 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Monaco
Programs: Amex Plat
Posts: 104
Is there any time limitations on the program per se? So in Wiki we should add another thing: -lie to immigration officer - CHECK.
Gobber is offline  
Old Jan 22, 19, 12:05 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,075
The minimum amount of layover time required for entry into Doha is theoretically 8 hours, that's why the QR STPC hotel limit is set as such. Anything less than 8 hours & there's a chance immigration will refuse entry, assuming you admit it of course...

I have a 7 hour transit in a few weeks, this is very interesting thank you!


​​
kaffir76 likes this.
impeymac is offline  
Old Jan 22, 19, 12:07 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SJO - MAN - LAX
Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Posts: 531
Happened to me a few years back, said I was only there for 3 hours and wanted to go out and see the place.Happened in Panama too.

Apparently has to do with the system flagging you up for only being there for such a short period. I would assume they meant it on the "he might be up to no good" side of things.
Redwood839 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 19, 12:13 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Monaco
Programs: Amex Plat
Posts: 104
I assume they can ask for the boarding card/ticket, then it ain't be pretty if you say one thing against whats written... You can always play dumb-struck... blame it on cheap champagne on board or in the lounge. Hold on, no, you cant be drunk, it's a strict rule in Qatar...
Gobber is offline  
Old Jan 22, 19, 12:27 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: EMA (how boring) but BHX is more convenient.
Posts: 1,623
I was allowed into Japan for 7 hours. UK passport. I greatly enjoyed my time there (first time in years) and highly recommend the Naritasan temple complex to anyone with a similar amount of time.
yabadoo and Gobber like this.
OccasionalFlyerPerson is online now  
Old Jan 22, 19, 12:50 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SFO
Posts: 232
Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson View Post
I was allowed into Japan for 7 hours. UK passport. I greatly enjoyed my time there (first time in years) and highly recommend the Naritasan temple complex to anyone with a similar amount of time.
Yeah, countries have wildly differing standards. I was once let into Hong Kong for 10 minutes - I asked them if I could go landside to the checkin desk because the line at the transfer desk was too long
redct is offline  
Old Jan 22, 19, 1:38 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VIE
Programs: QR Privilege Club (Gold), Aegean M+B (Gold), Hilton Honors Gold, Mariott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Posts: 72
Originally Posted by DENQR View Post
Weird, we had a long layover too, stored our luggage in the lounge, went through the private immigration lane and went to souq waqif for a couple of hours...

No issue

USA Passport
Sorry, but what lounge did accept your luggage? I have tried to store my luggage in the QR arrivals lounge and they (QR lounge staff) refused it saying it's legally banned to do so.

Al Maha Lounge maybe?
Askin001 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 19, 1:48 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SNA/LAX
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 126
I had a four hour layover in Amsterdam last summer and decided I wanted to see the city. When I got to immigration, the officer asked me how long I was staying and I answered him. He asked why such a short stay, and I explained it was just a layover on the way to Los Angeles. He stamped my passport and let me go. He probably should have sent me back with so little time, especially as I was going from one international connection to another (non-schengen). I guess it depends on your luck.

By the way, I don't recommend leaving airports on such a short layover. Many things could have gone wrong and I would have missed my flight home. I got lucky (quick, direct trains) and had an hour to explore the city center and try some foods on the go before heading back to catch the next flight.
georgina80 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 19, 2:20 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LON
Programs: BAEC, Accor
Posts: 2,129
Originally Posted by RCAQ01 View Post
Sorry, but what lounge did accept your luggage? I have tried to store my luggage in the QR arrivals lounge and they (QR lounge staff) refused it saying it's legally banned to do so.

Al Maha Lounge maybe?
Al Mourjan, but if you read my writeup in DIY tour of Doha post #18 you can see that it's possible but frowned upon.
on-a-stick and Gobber like this.
plunet is offline  
Old Jan 22, 19, 2:25 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,524
Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson View Post
I was allowed into Japan for 7 hours. UK passport. I greatly enjoyed my time there (first time in years) and highly recommend the Naritasan temple complex to anyone with a similar amount of time.
I headed into Hong Kong on a 3 hour layover because I wanted to smoke a cigarette outside instead of one of those phone booths.
audio-nut is offline  
Old Jan 22, 19, 2:51 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VIE
Programs: QR Privilege Club (Gold), Aegean M+B (Gold), Hilton Honors Gold, Mariott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Posts: 72
Originally Posted by plunet View Post
Al Mourjan, but if you read my writeup in DIY tour of Doha post #18 you can see that it's possible but frowned upon.
Interesting - thanks for sharing.
Askin001 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 19, 3:09 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NT Australia
Programs: QF WP
Posts: 3,480
I remember eyebrows being raised in KUL when I flew in on AirAsia from Brunei and was out a few hours later to Delhi (no airside transit from LCCT to KLIA1 in those days). Old mate said it wasn’t acceptable to enter and exit on the same day but what can you do? They let me go in the end
nancypants is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: