Got denied entry to Doha

Old Jan 22, 19, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Got denied entry to Doha

So basically I was flying back to LHR and had a connection of 7 hours in Doha... Mrs wanted to go outside the airport for dinner and we went towards arrivals only to be told by immigration to head back up if I just wanted to have 'dinner'... my fault here was to answer his question truthfully which was how long will I be staying in Doha which was about a couple of hours.

I felt like he was unnecessarily showing his authority and I could've easily just gone to a different immigration officer 5mins later but just couldnt believe this whole situation and went back to the lounge. I thought Qatar wanted to get more people spending money with the whole visa free launch but oh well

FYI: British passport holder
Old Jan 22, 19, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by salehir View Post
So basically I was flying back to LHR and had a connection of 7 hours in Doha... Mrs wanted to go outside the airport for dinner and we went towards arrivals only to be told by immigration to head back up if I just wanted to have 'dinner'... my fault here was to answer his question truthfully which was how long will I be staying in Doha which was about a couple of hours.

I felt like he was unnecessarily showing his authority and I could've easily just gone to a different immigration officer 5mins later but just couldnt believe this whole situation and went back to the lounge. I thought Qatar wanted to get more people spending money with the whole visa free launch but oh well

FYI: British passport holder
Weird, we had a long layover too, stored our luggage in the lounge, went through the private immigration lane and went to souq waqif for a couple of hours...

No issue

USA Passport
Old Jan 22, 19, 10:48 am

Family of the immigration officer owning food outlets in the airport?
Old Jan 22, 19, 11:16 am

Programs: Amex Plat
Is there any time limitations on the program per se? So in Wiki we should add another thing: -lie to immigration officer - CHECK.
Old Jan 22, 19, 12:05 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
The minimum amount of layover time required for entry into Doha is theoretically 8 hours, that's why the QR STPC hotel limit is set as such. Anything less than 8 hours & there's a chance immigration will refuse entry, assuming you admit it of course...

I have a 7 hour transit in a few weeks, this is very interesting thank you!

​​
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 19, 12:07 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Happened to me a few years back, said I was only there for 3 hours and wanted to go out and see the place.Happened in Panama too.

Apparently has to do with the system flagging you up for only being there for such a short period. I would assume they meant it on the "he might be up to no good" side of things.
Old Jan 22, 19, 12:13 pm

Programs: Amex Plat
I assume they can ask for the boarding card/ticket, then it ain't be pretty if you say one thing against whats written... You can always play dumb-struck... blame it on cheap champagne on board or in the lounge. Hold on, no, you cant be drunk, it's a strict rule in Qatar...
Old Jan 22, 19, 12:27 pm

I was allowed into Japan for 7 hours. UK passport. I greatly enjoyed my time there (first time in years) and highly recommend the Naritasan temple complex to anyone with a similar amount of time.
yabadoo and Gobber like this.
Old Jan 22, 19, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson View Post
I was allowed into Japan for 7 hours. UK passport. I greatly enjoyed my time there (first time in years) and highly recommend the Naritasan temple complex to anyone with a similar amount of time.
Yeah, countries have wildly differing standards. I was once let into Hong Kong for 10 minutes - I asked them if I could go landside to the checkin desk because the line at the transfer desk was too long
Old Jan 22, 19, 1:38 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club (Gold), Aegean M+B (Gold), Hilton Honors Gold, Mariott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DENQR View Post
Weird, we had a long layover too, stored our luggage in the lounge, went through the private immigration lane and went to souq waqif for a couple of hours...

No issue

USA Passport
Sorry, but what lounge did accept your luggage? I have tried to store my luggage in the QR arrivals lounge and they (QR lounge staff) refused it saying it's legally banned to do so.

Al Maha Lounge maybe?
Old Jan 22, 19, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I had a four hour layover in Amsterdam last summer and decided I wanted to see the city. When I got to immigration, the officer asked me how long I was staying and I answered him. He asked why such a short stay, and I explained it was just a layover on the way to Los Angeles. He stamped my passport and let me go. He probably should have sent me back with so little time, especially as I was going from one international connection to another (non-schengen). I guess it depends on your luck.

By the way, I don't recommend leaving airports on such a short layover. Many things could have gone wrong and I would have missed my flight home. I got lucky (quick, direct trains) and had an hour to explore the city center and try some foods on the go before heading back to catch the next flight.
Old Jan 22, 19, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Originally Posted by RCAQ01 View Post
Sorry, but what lounge did accept your luggage? I have tried to store my luggage in the QR arrivals lounge and they (QR lounge staff) refused it saying it's legally banned to do so.

Al Maha Lounge maybe?
Al Mourjan, but if you read my writeup in DIY tour of Doha post #18 you can see that it's possible but frowned upon.
on-a-stick and Gobber like this.
Old Jan 22, 19, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson View Post
I headed into Hong Kong on a 3 hour layover because I wanted to smoke a cigarette outside instead of one of those phone booths.
Old Jan 22, 19, 2:51 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club (Gold), Aegean M+B (Gold), Hilton Honors Gold, Mariott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by plunet View Post
Al Mourjan, but if you read my writeup in DIY tour of Doha post #18 you can see that it's possible but frowned upon.
Interesting - thanks for sharing.
Old Jan 22, 19, 3:09 pm

Programs: QF WP
I remember eyebrows being raised in KUL when I flew in on AirAsia from Brunei and was out a few hours later to Delhi (no airside transit from LCCT to KLIA1 in those days). Old mate said it wasn’t acceptable to enter and exit on the same day but what can you do? They let me go in the end

Search this Thread
Search Engine: