Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got denied entry to Doha

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by allset2travel
That was sort of my impression before I ever went land side of Doha. Since I transited DOH so many times in the last few years, finally decided to go land side for a few hours. I found certain sights interesting. Later I stayed over night and saw the city at night. Kind of quiet in city center. But found the a long walk on Al Corniche at night for photo shoot kind of interesting. Along with day time visit to Museum of Islamic Arts, Dhow Harbour, Skyline Viewpoint and of the Souq Waqif. I thought it was worth it.
I will be spending 1 night there on my upcoming trip! Hope to tour other parts (more inland) of the city by Uber (hope they still have Uber).
For those who has never been to Doha, give it a few hours and see if you find anything interesting.
They still have Uber.
Sounds like you've pretty much seen it all. If you have a whole day you could go visit one of the lovely beaches, but this time of year the water is cold. Or go to one of the huge malls (Festival City/ Mall of Qatar)
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB
Originally Posted by florin
I was told by several QR staff members that the rule for Doha is that you must have a min of 8 hour layover to be allowed into Qatar. (It's the law.)
Perhaps that's a guideline, but it's not a rule. I met a friend for coffee at a hotel not far from the airport on a 4 hour layover in Doha in November 2018. The immigration official asked me a few questions but stamped me in to Qatar.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL 360, DL 1M, DL Charter Diamond, LA Gold, UA Silver
Must be up to each immigration officer. I transferred through DOH in October 2016 with a 5-hour connection. Passed through the private Business Class immigration line, told the officer how long my layover was, told him I was going out for dinner, and he stamped me into Qatar with no questions. I then grabbed an Uber and enjoyed a nice walk and dinner in Souq Waqif.
In June 2016 while connecting at BOG, I had a 3-hour layover at 6:00 AM. I told the immigration officer that I needed to exit landside to physically transfer my checked bag as it was between two airlines in different alliances (still Interlined, but wanted to be sure). Stamped into Colombia, got my bag, re-checked it, walked outside for a few minutes, then back through exit immigration.
At NRT I have stamped into Japan with as little as 3 hours layover on multiple occasions just so I could ride the train to Narita town and eat some ramen. Again, no problem. Similar situation (but no ramen), many times, at JNB (South Africa), GRU (Brazil), LHR (UK), FCO (Italy), AMS (Netherlands), AKL (New Zealand), CAN (China), MEX (Mexico), YYZ (Canada), and SCL (Chile).
Maybe what happened to you was an unfortunate mix of bad luck, randomly enforced rules, and variations between different country policies. Regardless, hope you get to Doha sometime...worth it!
(I have a US passport.)
travelinterpreters and Gobber like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
15 years ago I would exit Don Muang airport during Bangkok layovers just to eat at the land side Burger King.
travelinterpreters likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
Originally Posted by jphripjah
15 years ago I would exit Don Muang airport during Bangkok layovers just to eat at the land side Burger King.
Wow. Now that is living!
ristasm likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: aa
Originally Posted by samwise6222
Happened to me in London too as a US passport holder transiting, but he relented after I was able to convince him that I had enough time to go to Windsor Castle and make it back.

But he gave me a different stamp compared to every other UK stamp I have a leave to enter for 24 hour stamp - and every time I go back to the UK, border agents ask me what I did to get that stamp.
you are the first person I have seen to have that same stamp. Our family of 4 was let in for just a few hours and we got the same stamp.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:46 pm

From my understanding, HIA are looking to add more e gates and will soon allow non residents to enter the country using them. I assume for those from visa free countries. Therefore, I wonder if it will make a difference when you can enter the country without speaking to anyone or will the system still flag up that your connection is less than eight hours?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by allset2travel
That was sort of my impression before I ever went land side of Doha. Since I transited DOH so many times in the last few years, finally decided to go land side for a few hours. I found certain sights interesting. Later I stayed over night and saw the city at night. Kind of quiet in city center. But found the a long walk on Al Corniche at night for photo shoot kind of interesting. Along with day time visit to Museum of Islamic Arts, Dhow Harbour, Skyline Viewpoint and of the Souq Waqif. I thought it was worth it.
I will be spending 1 night there on my upcoming trip! Hope to tour other parts (more inland) of the city by Uber (hope they still have Uber).
For those who has never been to Doha, give it a few hours and see if you find anything interesting.
we just spent several days in Doha on the way home from seeing family in the middle East. We found lots to do including the museum, but also education city and the national library and al wakr which gives a little glimpse into Doha before skyscrapers and the like. The most disappointing was the souq..except for the old men hauling goods to the cars of shoppers and the bird market, the market was sanitized and not authentic and really nothing to buy. The architecture in Doha is amazing and the building leading up to world cup is crazy. We found people to be incredibly hospitable and friendly and if it matters English is spoken everywhere.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: AY Platinum; TK Elite+; MR Titanium; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by florin
I was told by several QR staff members that the rule for Doha is that you must have a min of 8 hour layover to be allowed into Qatar. (It's the law.)
If that is the case, why do they allow to apply for a transit visa for stay as short as 5 hours.
https://transitvisa.qatarairways.com/transitvisa/online/qrvisa/applyVisa/search

Personally, I did a couple of stopovers that were shorter than 8h and successfully applied for a transit visa (before they removed the visa requirements in my case).
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Transitted through Doha in November and told the immigration officer I was going through to use the showers in arrivals! No questions asked but was given leave to remain sticker until the same day only.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by nancypants
I remember eyebrows being raised in KUL when I flew in on AirAsia from Brunei and was out a few hours later to Delhi (no airside transit from LCCT to KLIA1 in those days). Old mate said it wasn’t acceptable to enter and exit on the same day but what can you do? They let me go in the end
Did few hours landside transit from LCCT to KLIA1 in May last year, not a single question asked
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:29 pm

This is interesting, thanks. I've entered Doha on a <8 hour layover before, usually around 6pm connecting to a 2.30am departure. The first time was under the old visa-on-arrival and the second under the then newly introduced visa waiver. Didn't get any questions the first time round, but the second officer asked me twice where I was staying; I simply told him I had a connecting flight the next morning and was heading into Doha for dinner. He didn't seem too perturbed. I may choose my words more carefully next time.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:49 pm

Absurd! I can't believe a country wouldn't abrogate its sovereignty and undermine its own laws so that some random traveller could buy a kebab. What is the world coming to?
redrob and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by ORD_UA1K
Perhaps that's a guideline, but it's not a rule. I met a friend for coffee at a hotel not far from the airport on a 4 hour layover in Doha in November 2018. The immigration official asked me a few questions but stamped me in to Qatar.
It's entirely possible it is the rule, and these exceptions are breaches of the rule based on discretion - but exceptions are discretionary and don't mean the rule doesn't exist.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Redwood839
Happened to me a few years back, said I was only there for 3 hours and wanted to go out and see the place.Happened in Panama too. Apparently has to do with the system flagging you up for only being there for such a short period. I would assume they meant it on the "he might be up to no good" side of things.
And Egypt. I had a couple of short CAI turns last year, one for 7 hours and then 3 hours. A month later, I won the bidding for an SPG Moments Cairo package including an Egyptair 777 simulator at the Egyptair Training Center. Sent in my passport info and was denied by Egyptian security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.