Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got denied entry to Doha

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by flyslow
Did few hours landside transit from LCCT to KLIA1 in May last year, not a single question asked
i don’t doubt it wasn’t a rule and maybe an inexperienced officer was being excessively strict. I mean it wasn’t a completely unreasonable thing to do and there was literally no other way of achieving the transfer

(this was 2013 so i concede it’s also possible it was a rule but now isn’t)
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by nancypants

i don’t doubt it wasn’t a rule and maybe an inexperienced officer was being excessively strict. I mean it wasn’t a completely unreasonable thing to do and there was literally no other way of achieving the transfer

(this was 2013 so i concede it’s also possible it was a rule but now isn’t)
i did take some time and did try to find such applicable rules (minimum stay time), but I could not find anything related (what not means that there is not maybe such a rule). But what I did find is, that many countries which require a visa from there visitors, are writing that “it is up to the assessment of the immigration officer to grant entry or not..”
Recenty I did enter Thailand for just 10 minutes, as the safety check in the transfer zone was incredible crowded, so I entered Thailand and went straight to safety check / immigration place for departures - nobody did made any problem....
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Traveller999
Recenty I did enter Thailand for just 10 minutes, ...
Will that flag you as “does not like our country”?
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:03 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Honestly speaking, experience with entering a country for a short number of hours other than Qatar is irrelevant to this thread.

In my experience Qatar has been one of those stingier places (like the Seychelles) where they only permit you entry for a varying amount of time based on what you are planning to do in the country. Once, I was there for a stopover, and went out to see Doha, and at immigration I was only admitted to stay for 24 hours.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist

Will that flag you as “does not like our country”?
hahaha, thank you, that made my day :-))
And to answer - I honestly do not hope so, as I stay there 1 to 2 weeks every month ;-)
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope
Honestly speaking, experience with entering a country for a short number of hours other than Qatar is irrelevant to this thread.

In my experience Qatar has been one of those stingier places (like the Seychelles) where they only permit you entry for a varying amount of time based on what you are planning to do in the country. Once, I was there for a stopover, and went out to see Doha, and at immigration I was only admitted to stay for 24 hours.
Cool - I like the comparison with “Seychelles” ;-)
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
Originally Posted by audio-nut
I headed into Hong Kong on a 3 hour layover because I wanted to smoke a cigarette outside instead of one of those phone booths.
Hongkong is interesting, easy immigration and security check,
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
I guess some countries are very strict with their entry policy.
i did it a few times doing transit in BKK, flown into BKK from HKG with CX and onwards from BKK to DXB with EK, with a layover of 3 hours. Officer asked what I’m doing entering into BKK (CX doesn’t allow baggage check through) and I told him that I’ve got a connecting flight in 3 hours and the situation with the baggage, he led me through without further questioning. Vice versa on the return leg, except I went out into the city with 5 hours layover and met up with a friend for dinner.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by clubeurope
In my experience Qatar has been one of those stingier places (like the Seychelles) ....
Originally Posted by Traveller999
Cool - I like the comparison with “Seychelles” ;-)
IME Seychelles was one of the easier places I've been to. Published requirements are that you must show documentary evidence of accommodations. Immigration officer didn't even ask me about it. The only thing he said was, "Welcome to the Seychelles!"
clubeurope likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.