FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Enough time to connect in Doha ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1952118-enough-time-connect-doha.html)

whenzuc Jan 20, 2019 7:49 pm

Enough time to connect in Doha ?

I’ll be flying business class in September from JFK to JRO with a short connection in Doha of exactly one hour.
The connecting flights are Flight 704 out of JFK to flight 1357 from Doha to JRO.
As this is a legal connection do I have any reason to be concerned as this seems like an awfully tight connection to get through immigration and then security and check in.
Are business class passengers expedited?
Is there a way to pay for expedited services?
Will I land and takeoff from the same terminal?
Any sight is appreciated

Merlinrnr Jan 20, 2019 8:40 pm

An hour is plenty. The minimum connection is 45 minutes I believe. There’s only one terminal at Doha. We were in business and slightly delayed and still made a 35 minute connection (and so did our luggage!). If you’re very late they’ll sometimes send a golf cart for you.

Dr. HFH Jan 20, 2019 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by whenzuc (Post 30680066)
I’ll be flying business class in September from JFK to JRO with a short connection in Doha of exactly one hour.
The connecting flights are Flight 704 out of JFK to flight 1357 from Doha to JRO.
As this is a legal connection do I have any reason to be concerned as this seems like an awfully tight connection to get through immigration and then security and check in.
Any sight is appreciated

If your JFK-DOH is on time, you'll have no problem, but no extra time for shopping, lounges, dawdling, etc., either. If JFK-DOH arrives late and things start to look tight, there will be a QR rep meeting your plane with a sign/paper/clipboard with your name on it as you enter the terminal. S/he will expedite you through the process and to your departing gate as necessary.

If you're not late and go through the regular process, yes, there is a separate premium cabin lane at transfer security. You'll need to show your boarding pass to access it. A very small number of flights every day bypass transfer security and go right from the plane to departure gates. It's impossible to predict in advance whether your JFK-DOH flight will be one of these.

DOH is one huge terminal with different wings, what they call Concourses. It can take a while to walk from, say, an A or B gate to a D or E gate. There's a moving sidewalk along Concourse C, and an overhead train from the head of Concourse C to the other end, where Concourses D and E start.

There is a paid meet/greet service which I've used, but IME it doesn't get you there any faster. It gives you someone to accompany your party while you walk from gate to gate, making sure that you don't get lost. There are electric golf carts, but I don't know how to reserve one. OTOH, unless someone in your party has mobility problems, that's probably not necessary.

Personally, I think that you'll be fine, either way.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...02e1f274b7.jpg

mamak04 Jan 21, 2019 2:06 am

Same question, but arriving via Turkish Airlines J class

Hi. I have the same question, but our arrival to DOH (from MRS - IST - DOH via TK) will be at 12:55am, and depart from DOH via Qatar at 2:20am. Planned on checking luggage. All in business awards - first 2 legs via TK miles, 3rd leg via AA miles.

Will we have enough time of transit in Doha, or is it safer to fly 1 day before and stay in a hotel (> 24 hrs transit)? Or look for another routing? What happens if IST - DOH flight gets delayed? Since it is from another airline, will Qatar intercept us disembarking the TK flight?

We are a family of 4 (a 6-yr old and a toddler). So even if we arrive a day earlier, having to checkout at a hotel at 12pm would means nowhere to go until the check-in counter opens at night...

TIA.
​​​

msm2000uk Jan 21, 2019 2:37 am

Originally Posted by mamak04 (Post 30680743)
Hi. I have the same question, but our arrival to DOH (from MRS - IST - DOH via TK) will be at 12:55am, and depart from DOH via Qatar at 2:20am. Planned on checking luggage. All in business awards - first 2 legs via TK miles, 3rd leg via AA miles.

Will we have enough time of transit in Doha, or is it safer to fly 1 day before and stay in a hotel (> 24 hrs transit)? Or look for another routing? What happens if IST - DOH flight gets delayed? Since it is from another airline, will Qatar intercept us disembarking the TK flight?

We are a family of 4 (a 6-yr old and a toddler). So even if we arrive a day earlier, having to checkout at a hotel at 12pm would means nowhere to go until the check-in counter opens at night...

TIA.
​​​

Is this trip all on 1 ticket?

M

mamak04 Jan 21, 2019 2:46 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 30680798)
Is this trip all on 1 ticket?

M

No, it is not.
1 ticket for MRS-IST-DOH, another ticket for DOH-asia.

clubeurope Jan 21, 2019 2:52 am

Originally Posted by mamak04 (Post 30680824)
No, it is not.

mate, don’t attempt it, this is really cutting it close, especially in your circumstances

Take an earlier flight or fly the day before

clubeurope Jan 21, 2019 2:56 am

Originally Posted by whenzuc (Post 30680066)
Any sight is appreciated

OP, is this all in one ticket? If so, don’t worry. You don’t need to go through immigration (even if you are on separate tickets, just go to the transfer desks or better yet, check through to JRO at JFK). Doha is one terminal, and in my experience, security (particularly the “premium” line) is often not crowded.

msm2000uk Jan 21, 2019 3:14 am

Originally Posted by mamak04 (Post 30680824)
No, it is not.

In which case, especially with a little one, I would give yourself the extra time and fly the day before - or give yourself at least 6 hours between flights.

M

mamak04 Jan 21, 2019 6:15 am

Got it. Thanks for the feedback.

There is another option with all under 1 ticket, but with a longer transit (arrive Doha at 7am, and depart 2am the next day, QR flights). Would we be allowed a transit hotel or does the business lounge have a sleeping/resting area?

msm2000uk Jan 21, 2019 7:12 am

Originally Posted by mamak04 (Post 30681212)

There is another option with all under 1 ticket, but with a longer transit (arrive Doha at 7am, and depart 2am the next day, QR flights). Would we be allowed a transit hotel or does the business lounge have a sleeping/resting area?

If there is a shorter, albeit more expensive connection, QR won't offer you a hotel overnight unfortunately.

M

Kölner Jan 21, 2019 7:44 am

Originally Posted by mamak04 (Post 30681212)

If your connection is longer than 12 hours you get a free Hotel night from Qatar Airways. Details: https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html

mamak04 Jan 21, 2019 7:51 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 30681379)
If there is a shorter, albeit more expensive connection, QR won't offer you a hotel overnight unfortunately.

M

If there is a shorter connection, but not the same direct flight (i.e., has to connect to another city), would that disqualify the transit hotel?

I did read that the Al Mourjan lounge has a quiet area, which we could camp in it during the long transit...

whenzuc Jan 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Both flights are on one business class ticket. So if I get boarding passes in JFK what is the process? If I don’t get a boarding pass before what is the process then?

clubeurope Jan 22, 2019 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by whenzuc (Post 30688825)
Both flights are on one business class ticket. So if I get boarding passes in JFK what is the process? If I don’t get a boarding pass before what is the process then?

Since it is all in one ticket, you would generally receive the boarding pass in JFK. Thus, you will just need to head straight to transit security, before being allowed into the departures/gate level.

If you don’t receive the boarding passes, you head straight to the transit desks behind transit security and get your BPs there, then go through security.

Safe travels

R