Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

J Passengers can pay for Al Sawfa Access - Now 600 QAR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J Passengers can pay for Al Sawfa Access - Now 600 QAR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Ikraamk
Actually, why are you people comparing a business class and first class lounge? If that is BA's FG lounge options I would say it's quite disappointing...

Anyway let us not compare BA and QR... We all know BA services and products are below par... I mean QR's business class exceeds BA's first class.... and if we want to compare lounges, we should compare BA GF to AS...
(bold added)

i personally wouldn’t go quite so far as to say it “exceeds” - but more like on a par. However ..... where a straight J versus J comparison is concerned, BA cannot really come close. Facilities such as on-demand dining in QR J class (along with PJ’s, slippers etc) is of course always widely regarded as a major benefit on longhaul.

In fact it’s hard to think of any aspect of the BA ground or inflight product that outshines QR. I’ve often commented that BA management should be asking themselves just why their lounges - at their OWN homebase, of LHR no less - are notably inferior to those provided by some overseas carriers. The CX facility at T3, and QR’s excellent lounge at T4 spring to mind. (And the quality of Al Safwa @ DOH and the CCR @ LHR are in entirely different leagues)
homer3152 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I can confirm on an award AA ticket I was charged 250 AED on April 17th at around 5pm for access to al-safwa
raji and Traveller999 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: QR
Originally Posted by subject2load

(bold added)

i personally wouldn’t go quite so far as to say it “exceeds” - but more like on a par. However ..... where a straight J versus J comparison is concerned, BA cannot really come close. Facilities such as on-demand dining in QR J class (along with PJ’s, slippers etc) is of course always widely regarded as a major benefit on longhaul.

In fact it’s hard to think of any aspect of the BA ground or inflight product that outshines QR. I’ve often commented that BA management should be asking themselves just why their lounges - at their OWN homebase, of LHR no less - are notably inferior to those provided by some overseas carriers. The CX facility at T3, and QR’s excellent lounge at T4 spring to mind. (And the quality of Al Safwa @ DOH and the CCR @ LHR are in entirely different leagues)
I agree... I was talking about upthread where people were comparing BA GF and AM.... which would be entirely unfair because the one is a business class lounge and the other a first class
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Ikraamk
I agree... I was talking about upthread where people were comparing BA GF and AM.... which would be entirely unfair because the one is a business class lounge and the other a first class
GF at say T5 is not really a first class lounge, rather for emeralds not traveling in first and who don’t have CCR access, ie comparable with the Qatar first class lounge for emeralds (as opposed to AS).

Cedar Jet likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Walked into AM about 15 mins ago, probably the most zoo like I’ve ever seen it.

Walked over to AS and paid the 250AED - I now can’t see another human being, other than the man who just gave me the glass of La Grande Dame.

Utter bliss
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Walked into AM about 15 mins ago, probably the most zoo like I’ve ever seen it.

Walked over to AS and paid the 250AED - I now can’t see another human being, other than the man who just gave me the glass of La Grande Dame.

Utter bliss
I'll be there in just a few days. Did you need to have the AM staff call ahead, or did you just walk to the AS escalator and inform the attendant you are flying J and would like to pay for AS access?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Ivstan14
I'll be there in just a few days. Did you need to have the AM staff call ahead, or did you just walk to the AS escalator and inform the attendant you are flying J and would like to pay for AS access?
The latter works perfectly fine.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Ivstan14
Yes inform them you’d like to buy access to the lounge. Usually they have to call someone and confirm it’s okay. I’m still trying to understand who gets charged 350 and who gets charged 250 and why?

What is interesting is when I said can I pay to enter she said “since this is a fully paid business class ticket, you can pay for access to the lounge” but it was an AA award.

I cannot stress paying the 250 or 350 is absolutely worth it. The AM business class lounge is way too crowded and they only have 8 shower units for all these people.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
What is interesting is when I said can I pay to enter she said “since this is a fully paid business class ticket, you can pay for access to the lounge” but it was an AA award.
An award is a fully paid ticket. It's just paid for with a different currency, -- miles. This is distinguished from an upgraded ticket.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
An award is a fully paid ticket. It's just paid for with a different currency, -- miles. This is distinguished from an upgraded ticket.
Yep, this is correct. Award tickets are revenue tickets. People often get a misconception that non-revenue tickets = award tickets, but Non-Revs are things like employee and family members jump seating. It literally means there was no form of revenue involved. When you pay with miles you are still paying and removing liability from their books.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:09 am

Why are some people charged 250QAR and others 350QAR? I had a 4 hour layover in DOH going to BLR, and it was definetely worth the experience for 250. The agent told me I was limited to staying in the lounge for 6 hours only, though I’m unsure how they would police this. The “quiet zone” hotel rooms were glad to let me have a room had I had a longer layover. So I wouldn’t put much weight on a time limit imposed on you at check-in at the Al-Safwa desk if you buy access since no one can actually police this.

I loved the Al-Safwa lounge. It lives up, and possibly might be better than their competitors F lounges. The service, restaurant, amenities, and lounge ambience is absolutely fabulous. You cannot sit or walk more than 10 feet before a lounge attendant offers you food or drink and all lounge attendants are very attentive. Which certainly makes sense since the lounge is empty considering who QR gives access to.

On the way back, I only had an hour connection in Doha for my DOH-IAH flight, so I went to the AM lounge for J pax. It was an absolute disaster. It was so crowded because it was rush hour time 7am in DOH. People were waiting 30 minutes for shower suites. Food orders were being mixed up. It was hard to get someone to order food or drinks to begin with. The menu was very limited. They only have eight shower suites for that entire AM lounge which I couldn’t believe considering hundreds of pax are entitled to entry. After my indulgence in the Al-Safwa on the outbound I felt like it was a major downgrade.

You'd think they would be able to find a median between using the AM lounge coupled at the same time with the AS lounge on certain flights and at certain times of the day. It seems like such a waste of a beautiful large AS lounge to provide it to people who are flying on flights like Doha to Kuwait City, so 1-2hr flights, (which are fewer and fewer because of the diplomatic spat) while premium passengers who are about to embark on a 16 hour journey have to be subjected to a sub-par AM lounge experience. Why not designate certain long haul flights that don’t have an F cabin access to the AS lounge? It doesn’t make sense to me why they do this.

Can someone explain to me why QR has this lounge policy which seems like they are wasting the Al-Safwa Lounge?

Last edited by NWplatinum; Apr 26, 2019 at 3:48 am
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:51 am

Upgraded QR tickets

Hi all - has anyone had experience of being allowed to pay for AS access on a paid eco ticket upgraded using Qcredits business class ticket? (So U class)

thx
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by london88
Hi all - has anyone had experience of being allowed to pay for AS access on a paid eco ticket upgraded using Qcredits business class ticket? (So U class)

thx
This is an interesting question. I was granted access with U class which was an AA mileage redemption. But people commented it’s technically a paid ticket with miles and said about 3 posts up that upgraded tickets usually are not valid.

If youre in U class it can’t hurt to try.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by london88

thx
No dice according to all reports, and yes they can easily see it is an upgrade I once went to the first class (Emerald in Y) lounge with an upgraded boarding pass, just as she was scanning it she said you should go to Al, before she could say Mourjan her screen showed me as an upgrade and she stopped and said welcome.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:25 pm

I'm presently attempting to fall asleep in one of the AS quiet rooms, so just a quick data point here to confirm what's already been reported. J passenger with an 8 hour connection booked on an AA award ticket. I went straight to the AS check in and bypassed AM all together. Hit the desk and noticed a woman being charged for access as I approached -- nice comfort to already know this would work.

Cost was 250 QAR. It appears AA J awards tickets are charged the lower amount (others have reported paying 350) but I'm only a single DP for that metric.

​​​​​​Check in desk was very intentionally informing people that access was for 6 hours and sleeping rooms were first come first served, but I simply asked if they could reserve me one and the attendant did so on the spot at check-in, before I had even paid. They were only accepting cards, not cash tonight.

This place is truly amazing. I initially was stunned at the apparent inefficiency of the space usage until I realized the grandiose ambiance is a foundational aspect of the design. Going to try to get a few hours of sleep, then will test out the breakfast menu. Any breakfast recommendations?
​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.