Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

J Passengers can pay for Al Sawfa Access - Now 600 QAR

J Passengers can pay for Al Sawfa Access - Now 600 QAR

Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:10 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Abyssin
Surprised with this thread.....seems most of you guys prefer to pay to enter a lounge just to drink than buying a very good champagne or wine and have it at home .....this is just weird for me
not so much when you see how much Krug Clos du Mesnil 2003 retails for.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Surprised with this thread.....seems most of you guys prefer to pay to enter a lounge just to drink than buying a very good champagne or wine and have it at home .....this is just weird for me
A bit of a pointless comment, if youre transiting in Doha then buying a very good wine or champagne to enjoy at home isnt a viable option in that scenario and Im sure people who are prepared to pay extra to enter a lounge to enjoy premium drinks, would also spend the money at home as you suggest. It isnt an either or scenario.

If someone is prepared to pay extra to acces an upgraded lounge to drink enhanced champagne and wine during their layover then good for them, Id be doing it myself if I didnt only have a two hour layover together with an infant and a two year old in toe coming up.

And isnt this a forum for travel enthusiasts? The kind of people who do exactly what youre saying is weird??!!
NoY, TravelManBiz and ATCOlad like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: Not stuck with an Alliance anymore, Star gold, OW Saph
Originally Posted by jmeselby

A bit of a pointless comment, if youre transiting in Doha then buying a very good wine or champagne to enjoy at home isnt a viable option in that scenario and Im sure people who are prepared to pay extra to enter a lounge to enjoy premium drinks, would also spend the money at home as you suggest. It isnt an either or scenario.

If someone is prepared to pay extra to access an upgraded lounge to drink enhanced champagne and wine during their layover then good for them, Id be doing it myself if I didnt only have a two hour layover together with an infant and a two year old in toe coming up.

And isnt this a forum for travel enthusiasts? The kind of people who do exactly what youre saying is weird??!!
I'm a travel enthusiast for more than 50 years now.....the Al safwa is a beautiful lounge but for me not the best place to drink my favorite wine or champagne as it looks like a luxury empty railway station hall, nothing very intimate there. Prefer to have it in the A380 lounge as the crew bring the champagne bottle there if you are in F.
May be it's just because I don't like the Clos du Mesnil that much
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: qr
Talking

I'm a travel enthusiast for more than 50 years now.....the Al safwa is a beautiful lounge but for me not the best place to drink my favorite wine or champagne as it looks like a luxury empty railway station hall, nothing very intimate there. Prefer to have it in the A380 lounge as the crew bring the champagne bottle there if you are in F.
May be it's just because I don't like the Clos du Mesnil that much
whilst we all have differing view of Al Safwa lounge I personally welcome the idea of being able to upgrade lounge access if traveling paid b/c . Its a choice that one can excessive depending on their own views and requirements. I certainly would think about it next time I travel , but it would depend on transit time so I could get the value of paying for the lounge rather than a rushed visit. IT has its faults , but then most lounges do. Its going to be interesting to see reports on FT as to wether this initiative takes off or not and the enevitable comments that the lounge is now too busy and service / products have dropped
ATCOlad and clubeurope like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I am most definitely against this. It's going to put a real strain on sleeping room availability.

Also, have I missed something, or is the price for AS access less than the price for AM access?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I am most definitely against this. It's going to put a real strain on sleeping room availability.

Also, have I missed something, or is the price for AS access less than the price for AM access?
AS access is for full fare paid business class passengers given you have AM access.
so the price of AS is the amount on top of AM
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:09 am
R2

Originally Posted by cheung.chunyuenc
AS access is for full fare paid business class passengers given you have AM access.
so the price of AS is the amount on top of AM
As reported here, it appears to be for any revenue business class pax, not just for those on full fare (booking class C, J) tickets.
watersign likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: Some

I think this policy will not last very long in its current form, either the price will go up quite substantially from QAR 250 or they will restrict access further. In typical QR fashion no one really appears to have thought through whether this change as implemented really makes any sense. For starters it has the potential to massively cannibalize sales at the overpriced airport hotel. Secondly, the price is set at far less than EK charges for access to a much bigger lounge and where only materially cheaper drinks are on offer, with EK's offering also restricted to certain status passengers on top of that. As soon as they start getting some complaints from important Qatari passengers I'm guessing the rules will change.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: PC(QR), IB, CX Marco Polo, SAA Voyager
Can those in the know please confirm that paid access to AS is only for revenue Business tickets of any class? What about redeemed Business Class tickets (not upgraded from Economy)?
chitink likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:36 pm

Perhaps so, but as it is (and probably will be for as long as the embargo persists), the lounge is extremely underused, so it's not too absurd to monetize unused capacities. It will be all about finding the right balance. Whether QR will find that right spot is a different question though.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
I tried it today shortly after midnight and could access Al Safwa after paying 250 Riyal. But it seems to be somehow capacity controlled as the staff at Al Mourjan first called Al Safwa staff, before sending me there.
I did travel in paid business I .
@Dr. HFH: dont worry about the availability of sleeping rooms, there were just 5 other guests beside me, in the whole lounge.....
Crisu69 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Silver VS EI
Is it possible to bypass Al Mourjan and go straight there to pay at entrance! If its very quite they might not mind! Play the innocent card 😀
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by Traveller999

I tried it today shortly after midnight and could access Al Safwa after paying 250 Riyal.
What champagne did they serve in AS that night? Still Krug? Will be there today evening too.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by Crisu69
What champagne did they serve in AS that night? Still Krug? Will be there today evening too.
La Grand Dame 2006 and a vintage 2002, but not Krug anymore. Krug was only served during the festive season as the staff told me....
Crisu69 and ATCOlad like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:28 am

piotrger likes this.

Last edited by sneamia; Mar 25, 2019 at 5:05 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.