Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

J Passengers can pay for Al Sawfa Access - Now 600 QAR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J Passengers can pay for Al Sawfa Access - Now 600 QAR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Traveller999
I was not satisfied with the temperature of the Champagne served neither with the quality of the steak. Don´t get me wrong, it was nice, but in a "over the first class" lounge I expect that if I order a medium steak, that it does not come well done ....
IIRC this was discussed when AS first opened. There is some odd fire regulation which prohibits cooking in the AS lounge. So foods like steak are cooked elsewhere and warmed up in the lounge, not unlike in-flight. Not sure if this is still the case, but it was before.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
IIRC this was discussed when AS first opened. There is some odd fire regulation which prohibits cooking in the AS lounge. So foods like steak are cooked elsewhere and warmed up in the lounge, not unlike in-flight. Not sure if this is still the case, but it was before.
Yep, the steaks are par broiled in a different building and heated up in the lounge. Medium well for everyone!
This is still a vexing issue to me. They are not allowed open flame, because, I understand they allegedly still do not have the necessary sign off from civil defense (probably gun shy after the Villaggio Mall fire and nobody wants their name where they could be held accountable).
However, what is crazy, is the fact that any cook/chef worth calling an cook/chef should be able to pan fry a steak and pan sear scallops with an electric hot plate. Heck, If I can do it at home, anyone should be able to do it!
NoY, GalaxyChris, Matt4 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:34 pm
XLB
Suspended

Programs: BA, QR, LH
I was granted paid access to AS on a BA J redemption. I asked at AM, and they sent me over to AS once it was approved. I was there for just less than 4 hours, and I was on my own for 3 1/2 of those. However, I did have a couple of bottles of 2007 (or was it 2008) Ducru-Beaucaillou for company. Sometimes, who needs people.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Storage/Locker at DOH?

I have two separate AA J award tickets (BKK-DOH and DOH-LAX).
I will arrive at DOH at 12:20PM then depart at 7:55AM the next day. I have like 19.5 hours layover overnight.
I was thinking to stay at a hotel in Doha, but after I read this thread staying at AS lounge overnight would be another choice.
Are there any tricks to store my suitcase somewhere during the day when I explore Doha?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I have two separate AA J award tickets (BKK-DOH and DOH-LAX).
I will arrive at DOH at 12:20PM then depart at 7:55AM the next day. I have like 19.5 hours layover overnight.
I was thinking to stay at a hotel in Doha, but after I read this thread staying at AS lounge overnight would be another choice.
Are there any tricks to store my suitcase somewhere during the day when I explore Doha?
A couple of things....

First, using one of the sleeping rooms at Al Safwa is on a first-come, first-served basis. No guarantees that you'll get a room. Your use of that room is also limited to six hours, so when you set your alarm, be sure to leave time to shower if you want to. There has been some mention in this thread about access to the lounge being limited to six hours total for people whose access is purchased rather than by F boarding pass. You'll want to verify that (even here on FT) before making any final plans about how to spend your time.

There are bag storage facilities. The rule is that you must take your bag(s) if you leave the airport; but I am unaware of any way that they could track that. So you can leave your bag(s) while you go into Doha, but there may be some small risk associated with that. Presumably they will treat bags left when the passenger has left the airport as abandoned and potential security risks; but, again, how would they know if you leave the airport? Your choice, just making you aware. I've left mine once (in Al Mourjan) and there was no problem.
ashkale likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
A couple of things....

There has been some mention in this thread about access to the lounge being limited to six hours total for people whose access is purchased rather than by F boarding pass. You'll want to verify that (even here on FT) before making any final plans about how to spend your time.

The rule of maximum 6h lounge access for paid ones was mentioned clearly to me, by the reception staff at AS on 2nd of February (my last time beeing there)

Last edited by Traveller999; Feb 8, 2019 at 1:04 am
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: Amex Plat
Why not take your bag go through immigration and store the bag in the airport in the departure hall bag storage facility, if that is existing, like everywhere in the world, at Hamad airport? why risk storing it against the rules in the lounge?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by Traveller999
The rule of maximum 6h lounge access for paid ones was mentioned clearly to me, by the reception staff at AS on 2nd of February (my last time beeing there)
Can confirm!

1 week ago on my trip from bkk and ~12h connection time wanted to buy AS access and use the sleeping room but was told 'can stay in AS only 6h'.

Changed my mind and stayed in AM for dinner+some drinks and went in the free+already booked Oryx Rotana hotel for sleep, free transfer inclusive. Had a great more than 6h sleep there.

With this 6h time limit the value for AS buy in for me is low and in addition they not regularly offer Krug.
Traveller999 likes this.

Last edited by Crisu69; Feb 8, 2019 at 2:38 am
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:38 am

How about paying double for continuous 12h access to the lounge?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gobber
Why not take your bag go through immigration and store the bag in the airport in the departure hall bag storage facility, if that is existing, like everywhere in the world, at Hamad airport? why risk storing it against the rules in the lounge?
There aren't bag storage facilities "everywhere in the world." Since 9/11, the number of airports offering "bag storage facilities," also known as left luggage, has dropped precipitously. Perhaps you've also observed that the once ubiquitous coin operated lockers are pretty much a thing of the past, also due to security concerns. Coin operated lockers at HIA are there, but sealed shut. Heathrow still has a left luggage facility in each terminal, but bags are scanned before being accepted. IIRC the left luggage facility at HKG is also still operational.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Amex Plat
There aren't bag storage facilities "everywhere in the world." Since 9/11, the number of airports offering "bag storage facilities," also known as left luggage, has dropped precipitously. Perhaps you've also observed that the once ubiquitous coin operated lockers are pretty much a thing of the past, also due to security concerns. Coin operated lockers at HIA are there, but sealed shut. Heathrow still has a left luggage facility in each terminal, but bags are scanned before being accepted. IIRC the left luggage facility at HKG is also still operational.
You are right, there seems to be no possibility at HIA, even if there are lockers- they are for the staff. When we travel, we are able to always store luggage, albeit in Europe or Asia. Usually, not the lockers, but a dedicated service where your bags are scanned and even examined manually (we used Changi Terminal 1 at SIN last) it's conveniently placed just above QR check in counters. JFK has one at Terminal 4, everyone says staff there is super rude, service is slow, anyway, all of this is OT.

After a bit of searching, people advice is to pay $50 for the Oryx facility (where the pool is) but the lockers are small. Or expensive way - airport hotel room, or indeed leave at lounges breaking the rules. All of those solutions are not ideal. If you carry your bags - need to go to a Doha hotel.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gobber
You are right, there seems to be no possibility at HIA, even if there are lockers- they are for the staff.
HIA does have such facilities. At Al Mourjan, after you go around the reception desk, turn right as you enter the actual lounge part. You'll see a set of glass doors in the wall facing you on the right. Go in there, and you'll find large lockers with combination locks. You'll have to show your boarding pass. I haven't been to Al Safwa in a while, and can't remember if there's a similar facility there; but I would assume so.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:09 pm

In Al Safwa now! Managed to secure a bedroom for the night and enjoying a meal with fine wines now. At QAR 250 this must be one of the best deals in aviation! Thank you to everyone in this forum who helped me with my questions ^
Gobber likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
To clarify I am considering taking an “I” business fair from Budapest to Doha onto Tokyo in april.

There is a 7 hour layover. If I understand correctly I should be able to pay around £50 (250QAR) and I can get a private room and sleep and eat?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:13 pm

Private room availability is not guaranteed. I think there are 12 of those. You can use them for up to 6 hours. More if you are prepared to be fined QAR 450 I suppose!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.