Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

J Passengers can pay for Al Sawfa Access - Now 600 QAR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J Passengers can pay for Al Sawfa Access - Now 600 QAR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:12 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by chitink
We went to AM and asked to pay for access, he said to just go there. I said are you sure we can just go, do you need to call anyone? He said oh, do you want me to see if they have a room? I said sure, ok. So he called and told them we were coming and held a room for us.

we got over there and they accepted payment, like they do it every day and walked us to the rooms. We showered and went to get some drinks and food and we were the only people there. Took a nap then went back for coffee before Leaving and it was more people, probably about 15 in the restaurant. The bartender said their busy time is 6am, but late night it’s normal to the the only ones.

we were given 6 hours for the room but not for the club. Loved it and so happy we went.
You say "here" and "there" without specifying, so it's a bit hard to understand you.

My guess: you went to the desk at the Al Mourjan, and you were told to just go to the Al Safwa. They then offered to call the Al Safwa to check if they had sleeping rooms, and you then decided to go to the lounge at at the Al Safwa check-in you were asked to pay for entry.

(Your post could be interpreted as the same thing happening at the Al Safwa check-in and calling the rooms desk for availability, though it wouldn't make much sense for you to be let in to the lounge without paying)
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by helvetic
You say "here" and "there" without specifying, so it's a bit hard to understand you.

My guess: you went to the desk at the Al Mourjan, and you were told to just go to the Al Safwa. They then offered to call the Al Safwa to check if they had sleeping rooms, and you then decided to go to the lounge at at the Al Safwa check-in you were asked to pay for entry.

(Your post could be interpreted as the same thing happening at the Al Safwa check-in and calling the rooms desk for availability, though it wouldn't make much sense for you to be let in to the lounge without paying)
I think the post is clear, Chitink states ‘We went to AM’ at the beginning so it’s clear this happens at Al Mourjan before moving to Al Safwa.

Whilst we’re being pedantic, it’s Al Safwa and Al Mourjan, not ‘the Al Safwa’ and ‘the Al Mourjan’, you’re saying the word ‘the’ twice.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:30 am

The title says full fare but it seems like it's available to everyone even on discounted fares. Is it available on an R or I fare?
I'm sure it's mentioned upthread, but seems to be available on these fares too. Read back a bit for clarification.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:56 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
The title says full fare but it seems like it's available to everyone even on discounted fares. Is it available on an R or I fare?

I absolutely hated my last Al Mourjan visit, while Al Safwa was decent. I'll be in DOH against soon for a 4h layover and would much prefer to pay $60 to do the Al Safwa again.
Yeah the thread title is misleading, it's NOT just full fares that are eligible. There have been several calls within the thread to rename it but.....
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
For those that have used the pay to enter, has there been any difficulty with the staff member usually located at the bottom of Al Safwa's escalator scanning BPs, not knowing about pay to enter?

Use the lift to avoid them would be an easy option.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Will be there, at the Al Safwa, in about 24h. Will report back.

Last edited by helvetic; Mar 31, 2019 at 9:07 am
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:50 am

Will be there in about 24h. Will report back.
sorry, where is there?
chitink likes this.

Last edited by AmaaiZeg; Mar 31, 2019 at 9:04 am
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: QR Gold, Skyteam Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Been to Al Safwa 12 days ago.Was shown by the Al Maha lady who accompanied me that the fastest way to get there is to use the - new to me - First/Business security check in the the transit area..just at the right end from the main lines; after the check there you are right at the lift to Al Safwa
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by homer3152
Been to Al Safwa 12 days ago.Was shown by the Al Maha lady who accompanied me that the fastest way to get there is to use the - new to me - First/Business security check in the the transit area..just at the right end from the main lines; after the check there you are right at the lift to Al Safwa
.... If you come into a gate on the correct side of the airport.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:37 am

Wow..thats the way to make 11.509 posts
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:35 am

Sitting at the Al Safwa using one of these buy-ups.

A few thoughts:
- Considering the absolute mess that is the Al Mourjan, this is insane value
- It's been about 2 years since my last visit here. Nothing much has changed. I guess the loss of regional first pax is offset almost equally by the numbers of J buy-ups.
- The place continues to feel quiet and serene. It's quite busy relatively, but I still see so much empty space I don't feel it one bit. It's a calm and enjoyable experience, with very little noise.
- Checked in at the Al Mourjan (which was right at the transit security exit anyways), and the agent walked me to to the Al Safwa personally.
- F&B continues to be rather weak.

Drink-wise, there are only 3 bottles >$100 I can tell. Veuve Cliquot La Grande Dame, Remy Martin XO, and Hibiki Japanese Harmony Master Select. None of these options are in the "drink your money's worth" category though they are quite drinkable.

The rest of the bar is very weak, with Absolut, Jack, Jose Cuervo, Cap'n Morgan, Johnny, Chivas, Jameson, Bacardi. The only other options that aren't bottom shelf are Hendrick's, Maker's Mark, Talisker 10, and Grey Goose.

Overall, you're paying for some peace and quiet, and for a decent beverage. Considering QR J rates can be cheap enough to easily make up for the for cost of using this lounge, and considering you're hopefully flying here on Qsuites, this is overall a decent deal.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
.... If you come into a gate on the correct side of the airport.
Wow..thats the way to make 11.509 posts
Huh? I don't understand.

There are several transit security screening areas at HIA. Only one of them has lifts that go directly to Al Safwa.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: Some
Sitting at the Al Safwa using one of these buy-ups.

A few thoughts:
- Considering the absolute mess that is the Al Mourjan, this is insane value
- It's been about 2 years since my last visit here. Nothing much has changed. I guess the loss of regional first pax is offset almost equally by the numbers of J buy-ups.
- The place continues to feel quiet and serene. It's quite busy relatively, but I still see so much empty space I don't feel it one bit. It's a calm and enjoyable experience, with very little noise.
- Checked in at the Al Mourjan (which was right at the transit security exit anyways), and the agent walked me to to the Al Safwa personally.
- F&B continues to be rather weak.

Drink-wise, there are only 3 bottles >$100 I can tell. Veuve Cliquot La Grande Dame, Remy Martin XO, and Hibiki Japanese Harmony Master Select. None of these options are in the "drink your money's worth" category though they are quite drinkable.

The rest of the bar is very weak, with Absolut, Jack, Jose Cuervo, Cap'n Morgan, Johnny, Chivas, Jameson, Bacardi. The only other options that aren't bottom shelf are Hendrick's, Maker's Mark, Talisker 10, and Grey Goose.

Overall, you're paying for some peace and quiet, and for a decent beverage. Considering QR J rates can be cheap enough to easily make up for the for cost of using this lounge, and considering you're hopefully flying here on Qsuites, this is overall a decent deal.
A fair review. You should also look through the rest of the wine list if you didn't, which often has a big name Bordeaux or similar that would retail for above $100 a bottle if that's your thing.

I hope not, but frankly, I fear the drinks selection is unlikely to improve from here on in as if it didn't make sense to buy top-shelf spirits when most passengers were on A380 F tickets I'm not sure why it would now a lot of users are in J and paying a nominal amount for access. Overall, I think it's possibly a little unfair to describe beverages as "rather weak", there aren't that many lounges globally that serve champagne, wine or whisky of the quality of Al Safwa. Food quality, yes, absolutely.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:53 pm

I agree to the review of helvetic..very balanced. I also found F&B quite weak..i advised them to remove the Camus VS bottle on display next to the Remy XO, given that QR serves Camus VSOP in Eco At my last visit in the DXB EK C lounge beverages were clearly superior and higher priced..like a wonderful Tignanello. And when i was in Al Safwa there was a group of gentelemen from ... who had had a rather loud conversation..and another genteleman from ...who did a loud skype conversation over his laptop. I still would agree though its worth the money compared to Al Mourjan. Oh..I still remember the days when they had a la carte dining in AM..and the friendly server who went to the main resto just to carry a bottle of Krug for us in the sandwich resto..
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:57 pm

@ Dr HFH Oh..then apologies for that..I didnt realize it was a different gate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.