Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

J Passengers can pay for Al Sawfa Access - Now 600 QAR

J Passengers can pay for Al Sawfa Access - Now 600 QAR

Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is indeed 6 hours.
I could have had another hour in bed...!

;0)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:21 am

Went straight to Al Safwa on my AA J Award, can confirm award tickets also eligible for Al Safwa. Same experience as everybody else: 250 QAR, 6 hrs limit, they give you a 6 hr room (although that's optional), and no guests of course.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: A bunch
My family just bought Al Safwa acess on a AA award flight in qsuites. We had a 8 hour connection and instead of spending over $300 at the airport hotel we decided the 250qatar was a great option. We were capped at 6 hours as well but had a nice size sleeping room with 2 beds and of course the high quality food and drink was very enjoyable.
picco cph likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by pointspinnacle
My family just bought Al Safwa acess on a AA award flight in qsuites. We had a 8 hour connection and instead of spending over $300 at the airport hotel we decided the 250qatar was a great option. We were capped at 6 hours as well but had a nice size sleeping room with 2 beds and of course the high quality food and drink was very enjoyable.
Did you have to pay 250 QAR/person or 250 QAR total for the whole family? How many were there in your family?
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: A bunch
Originally Posted by Airfan
Did you have to pay 250 QAR/person or 250 QAR total for the whole family? How many were there in your family?
its per person,me, wife and 3 yr old 250 each which was converted to almost $200 even (grand total) on my credit card. I thought it a bit odd to charge the 3yr old but its still a decent value for this lounge.
picco cph likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: Some
To be honest, this policy just shows me how much QR has lost its way - I think I'm right in saying Al Safwa is now the only lounge globally which is operated by an airline that denies access to all status passengers but allows paid access to anyone! QRPC becomes more pointless by the day.
NoY and Traveller999 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: QRPC
Sad state of affairs, isn't it? Still since I tend to fly on routes where QR doesn't operate first class, I'm happy that I can get in, but would much prefer getting in with my gold status.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: Some
Actually my previous post is wrong, it's not the only lounge globally that does that - the other one is Al Mourjan!
nikolask and Traveller999 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Oneworld Emerald
I have a 7h 20 connection in April in R, and reading above it seems that the 'Full Fare' access is a red herring, so I may be able to upgrade? Considering I have a 7h 20 connection, by the time transit security & walking times to and from gates are accounted for I should be closet to the 6hr maximum?

I arrive from SIN on QR947 at 0015, and depart again to ARN at 0735 on QR167
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by weebo15
I have a 7h 20 connection in April in R, and reading above it seems that the 'Full Fare' access is a red herring, so I may be able to upgrade? Considering I have a 7h 20 connection, by the time transit security & walking times to and from gates are accounted for I should be closet to the 6hr maximum?

I arrive from SIN on QR947 at 0015, and depart again to ARN at 0735 on QR167
Should be fine.
weebo15 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
To be honest, this policy just shows me how much QR has lost its way - I think I'm right in saying Al Safwa is now the only lounge globally which is operated by an airline that denies access to all status passengers but allows paid access to anyone! QRPC becomes more pointless by the day.
I find it an odd way that they are doing it.

I can understand why they are want to utilise the space more, and why they want to monetise that at the moment. I just don't understand the way that they do it.

On the flip side. As far as I have seen, Qatar has not written about this offer anywhere. Making it easy to remove the offer. And as it is only blog readers, and word of mouth at the moment, keeping the numbers low is a natural effect. But ideally, I would say they should used focused invitations to their high value flyers. That would cut me off, but I'll survive that.. .
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
As a QR Platinum for a few years now it is indeed annoying that I can't get access to Al Safwa. That being said, Al Safwa does not allow paid access to anyone. You still need to be flying with QR in J (revenue or award). A passenger in Y cannot get access to Al Safwa. QR is obviously in desperate times and looking for ways to monetize rather than keeping their frequent flyers happy. I guess they can afford to do so, as, in my opinion, a majority of business travelers will still fly QR's superior products. They will simply credit their miles to another FFP.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Tried this at 5:30am on a paid Business class ticket. No problem, paid QAR 250 to get in. Went direct to Al Safwa and the lady at the desk called the duty manager who came out with a credit card machine.

This is my first time in Al Safwa and its nice to have the option but for a relatively short 2-3 hour connection am not sure if this is worth paying for if you have access to Al Mourjan already.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: Etihad, Krisflyer, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by midlevels
Tried this at 5:30am on a paid Business class ticket. No problem, paid QAR 250 to get in. Went direct to Al Safwa and the lady at the desk called the duty manager who came out with a credit card machine.

This is my first time in Al Safwa and its nice to have the option but for a relatively short 2-3 hour connection am not sure if this is worth paying for if you have access to Al Mourjan already.
I was there a couple of weeks ago and didn't bother as I was on a short transit of 2 hours one way and less the other.

I just had some food in the rear business class snack place and that was enough. If I'd wanted more I would have upgraded perhaps and might in future but I didn't find the Q-Suites worth paying the premium for over say Etihad's seats on their A380.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
I did take the paid access now 2 times recently, but I think I will skip it in future.
Yes, the flair is impressive and everything so quiet and calm. But I myself did feel somehow lonely, with just 5 to 7 more guest in the total lounge.
In addition, you may call me picky, I was not satisfied with the temperature of the Champagne served neither with the quality of the steak. Dont get me wrong, it was nice, but in a "over the first class" lounge I expect that if I order a medium steak, that it does not come well done and if I express my wish for a more cold Champagne, that the staff fulfills my wish, especially when the lounge is operated by an airline, which shouts around all the time "we are the best in universe...ok in skytrax universe" ;-)

One nice thing on 1st of February was, that the lounge staff did prepare a cake and asked people (5) to come to celebrate the victory of the Qatari football team. Pictures were taken from the passengers celebrating with a piece of cake and some juice ;-) and then something weird happend - I did ask if I can get a copy of the pictures taken as well, as I am on them, but they could not grant me that request. However they did take my email, but surprise, I did not receive any picture or mail from QR......

Last edited by Traveller999; Feb 5, 2019 at 10:27 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.