Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the point of remaining Gold?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Privilege Club (Gold), Aegean M+B (Gold), Hilton Honors Gold, Mariott Bonvoy Gold Elite
What's the point of remaining Gold?

This may rather seem like a "help me" and/or "rant" thread, but:
I've been GOLD for over half a year now, but am based in a Star Alliance dominated region (i.e. VIE), where my A3 Gold Status brings me way more benefits than my One World Status thanks to QR.

I love QR, their aircraft, the overall experience, but fail to see the additional benefits to remain gold, especially due to:
- 40 Q-Credits are not useful for me
- getting into other oneworld lounges are not interesting to me (except for JAL, Malaysian AIrlines or Cathay Pacific - but I buy tickets with those airlines usually - the other member airlines are not interesting to me at all)

Can anyone convince me to go the extra length by booking some additional oneworld tickets in addition to some existing QR bookings until status renewal date and remain Gold after all?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RCAQ01
I've been GOLD for over half a year now, but am based in a Star Alliance dominated region (i.e. VIE), where my A3 Gold Status brings me way more benefits than my One World Status thanks to QR.

I love QR, their aircraft, the overall experience, but fail to see the additional benefits to remain gold, especially due to:
- getting into other oneworld lounges are not interesting to me (except for JAL, Malaysian AIrlines or Cathay Pacific - but I buy tickets with those airlines usually - the other member airlines are not interesting to me at all)

Can anyone convince me to go the extra length by booking some additional oneworld tickets in addition to some existing QR bookings until status renewal date and remain Gold after all?
I can't.

The huge increase in QR J fares, combined with the decimation of Privilege Club, has convinced me to start trying other airlines. This will naturally cause the loss of my Gold status. To be honest, flying J on QR as a Gold had limited value anyway.

I still absolutely love the QR J product & will try to book flights if prices are suitable, but my tolerance ran out last year.
NoY, Abyssin and Sisyphus1carus like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:13 am

I second impeymac above. My family and I were pretty loyal to QR for longhaul out of Germany, but the Privilege Club enhancements last year put paid to our loyalty.

I let my A3 Gold lapse a couple of years back and I'm crying about it. I'm going to get it back this year after QR Gold and AY Gold run out in August. I know, silly to have had the same status on two OW carriers at the same time...

Would love to think of some way to use the 40 QCredits. Again, thanks PC for the enhancement...
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Gold, M&M FQT

Same "problem" here. I've been gold three years in a row, but now there is no sense in obtaining gold status anymore - exactly for the reasons already mentioned by yourself. We're both based in Austria with the only difference (I guess) that I used Qatar also from Zagreb, which is as close to Graz as Vienna. However, no more good deals from Zagreb too. Long story short: I can not convince you. Maybe somebody else can?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Privilege Club (Gold), Aegean M+B (Gold), Hilton Honors Gold, Mariott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Thanks for your inputs - I'm wondering if QR plans to implement any changes to their programme or just stick with the status quo.

Nonetheless, it's a great airline to fly with. In addition to their equipment, crew, catering, and other small details, I also love their (almost) real time update of miles transactions to the QR app (e.g. instant credit of miles to your account after your flight).

But yea, other airlines are not that much worse (...)
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: qatar
After 4 yars being platinum and gold I will let my gold status expire in april. No more value in PC, expecially with award the tickets. For the lounge access maybe I will consider priority pass, anyone tried it? Do you really get unlimited lounges with any airlines with 400 usd a year? Many of the priiority pass lounges are the same used by qatar, except in doha or the premium lounges... i am afraid they may say the lounge is full sometimes... 400 usd is an investment so I want to be sure it’s worth.
Abyssin likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If you're not bothered about qcredits or oneworld lounge access (via your QR membership) then I honestly can't see there is much advantage in you being gold over silver. Minimal difference in luggage allowance and tier bonus qmiles I guess...

Like others above, I'm also now reducing my dependence on QR. I had travelled exclusively with QR on long haul flights since 2012 (mix of paid J / Y) - until last year. For me, the worst “enhancement” was removing premium lounge access for upgrades and that pushed me to status match with WY.

I had a really great trip with WY last year. Their in-flight J experience is very similar to QR (if I'm being super picky: WY wins on dining/wines, QR wins on service) - whereas previously I wouldn't looked past QR's website. Fortunately WY's network also suits me pretty well, although it is much smaller than QR’s.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
After flying QR for 5 years, up to plat and down to nothing because you know why, I now hold *A gold with TK for 2 years and can fly any *A airline if I don't find a good J class deal as I did for 2018. I am on the market for 2xJ tickets BKK-BRU or near by BRU.
Traveller999 and Abyssin like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: Not stuck with an Alliance anymore, Star gold, OW Saph
After 6 years flying only with QR and being plat or gold we have decided not to be stuck to a program. Most of airlines like QR changed their FFP last year and there is not many interest to be gold or plat if you fly only in premium cabin like us.
We stop flying QR in 2018 using mainly SQ and are now Siver with both. The only thing which guide us it's to be able to transfer our Amex points if needed to an airline program.
For a French Amex holder it's for example permited with QR, BA, SQ but not with LH, LX, OS or TK
tartempion likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: QR Gold/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by Luca Suomi
After 4 yars being platinum and gold I will let my gold status expire in april. No more value in PC, expecially with award the tickets. For the lounge access maybe I will consider priority pass, anyone tried it? Do you really get unlimited lounges with any airlines with 400 usd a year? Many of the priiority pass lounges are the same used by qatar, except in doha or the premium lounges... i am afraid they may say the lounge is full sometimes... 400 usd is an investment so I want to be sure it’s worth.
I have Priority Pass free through my Chase Platinum Select credit card which (although Chase recently downgraded its PP perks from unlimited to one guest) still remains a great deal.

If you are buying membership, you can get unlimited entries into a PP lounge for $429/yr. If you don't fly as much, for $299 you can get 10 entries and then pay $32 for each subsequent entry in a year. Guests are always $32.

I really like the program a lot.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: QR Gold/OW Sapphire

Each tier increase does also increase the miles earned that can go toward upgrades or free tickets. My RT economy N tickets from Asia to the US as Silver would earn around 18,000 miles but 30,000 as Gold.

I just scored an upgrade from economy to business with 55,000 miles from DOH-JFK. This upgrade had also been offered to me in an email as a cash upgrade for almost $1,300. First time to try the Qsuite, and it's in the new A350-1000.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: Qatar Airways - GOLD
Worth the effort if flying eco

Hello,

1st message here, but long time reading the forum..

I would say that it's worth the effort if you're exclusively flying in eco as it would open you some options only available when you normally book on Business such lounge access with 1 invitee, baggage excess, and, but this depend on the segment you're flying, to be pushed to business cabine when eco is full (even if you're traveling with a familly member)

In my case, I fly exclusively in eco (except if I find really good deal, but this happened 1 time in 1 year last year) on route GVA DOH CRK (or MNL) DOH GVA, like 1 time a month. I'm not taking J as the GVA DOH flight is half empty and as GOLD they will always try to give you 3 seats in a row, so you end up with, somehow, a flat bed (ok no PJ nor amenties kit). DOH MNL as almost always full around public holiday and as GOLD (or PLAT) you will certainly been upgraded, including the family member you're flying with (eco cabin is 100% full when business is like 20% on route like this).
If flying always on Business, then, I can't see any points to keep your Gold or Plat status as mentioned by the others
Julien
Abyssin and Traveller999 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.

Perhaps you could use them to upgrade one leg of MY travel to business class ;-)
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Perhaps you could use them to upgrade one leg of MY travel to business class ;-)
It might actually be worth starting a thread for people to donate their unwanted qcredits? I know I am always left with 12 unwanted credits, I am not sure what you can get for 12 or if you can get anything at all, but I would be more than happy to put them to a good use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.