The QR Movie 'Like Never Before'

Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by jeroen100
Well, opening a webpage with a countdown timer and asking people to register for the big news seems to me a bit much for a new commercial.

I think this would be more appropriate for something customers would actually be happy with, like a huge sale, a new innovative product or adding a lot off new routes.

Its also a bit odd that they would spoil their own surprise on social media a couple of days before the
big reveal.
Last time I saw a count down on the QR web page what they ended up revealing was QRPC's new brand identity. There is a flyertalk thread about it: Something new happening to QRPC

So don't have very high expectations but hopefully they surprise me
tropikey and Traveller999 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Ahhh, sorry, wrong thread. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: Amex Plat
Having read all of the previous discussion, and having seen all of the various teasers (including Chinese neon sights, European paintings, skating in America etc. including yesterday's clips of the upcoming Qatar blockbuster movie; my bet is on the new marketing campaign aimed for families (hint Qsuites) and longer travel, so more companion-like fares, various 'travel festivals or promos', like around the globe coupons, fly 4 segment get 5th for free alike. Make the world your story is the main slogan after all.

p.s. every journey is your chapter, the world is your canvas..
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:19 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Interesting comment. "... unnecessarily over the top..."? How much is necessary? How much is appropriate? Permissible?
Well, if this is indeed the premier of a new brand film, having all these countdowns, all these "subscribe now to find out more", and a huge teaser for the premier and film itself... seems quite unnecessarily over the top for a new advert, just my two cents though
Richard Bell likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: SPG & Marriott Plat Privilege Club Plat
Gulf Times Tuesday 15 January 2019

https://www.gulf-times.com/story/619...e-Never-Before
Calchas likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Actually, based on this, I can't wait to see it. I do hope, however, that this is more than a marketing campaign and that there is an actual sale to go with it.
Richard Bell and NJSwamplands like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
Originally Posted by clubeurope
Well, if this is indeed the premier of a new brand film, having all these countdowns, all these "subscribe now to find out more", and a huge teaser for the premier and film itself... seems quite unnecessarily over the top for a new advert, just my two cents though
One can only hope that it will be accompanied by a Global-Sale "Like Never Before", which out-does previous years mid-January Sales, and has a significant effect on load-factors.

It would be disappointing, to say the least IMO, if the offer thus far of "up to 45%" were to turn out to be 'it' for this year !
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum
I would be very surprised if they do have a sale with the launch. At best they might extend the current "amazing" sale.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
sounds like much ado about nothing, companies invariably get super excited about their own marketing, their customers invariably get nothing bar higher costs in return...
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Silver Falcon
Having read that I can only come up with one thought. Imagine how it would be if that money went into catering and not glam.

-A
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: one world
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
Having read that I can only come up with one thought. Imagine how it would be if that money went into catering and not glam.

-A
Is the food that bad? I wouldn't know because I don't eat in airplanes.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Peachy6
I find QR's catering to be fairly decent compared to other carriers.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Peachy6
They suffer from excessive fancyfication. The food is not bad. There are other carriers with worse food. But, this is my main gripe about the food:

- The menu says there is a meat dish with fancy name sauce and vegetables treated in obscure ways, with potatoes done up with spectacular methods, endorsed by a chef with a name you can't spell if told the name of.
- On your dish there will be a overcooked piece of ${meat} with a bland sauce that is chock full of salt and sugars, with a small smattering og veggies that have been steamed on the ground, reheated in the air, potentially already luke warm because business cabins are getting bigger, galleys smaller and crew fewer and serving times longer. The potatoes will be either boiled og baked in some manner, possibly pan fried. All in all a meal you would not pay 20 USD for on the ground.

It isn't 5 star by any stretch of the imagination. A lot of money goes into the menus trying to tell you it's fancy stuff, and it's meals that do not transpose well into being delivered by mass catering and airplane galleys. The 787 and 350 are excellent airplanes, real nice with QR's seats, but they are not your favourite brasserie. Don't try to convince me otherwise by the fancy talk in the menu.

How to improve it? Look at Asian carriers, their native cuisine lends itself to very simple dishes that packs a lot of flavour and has well known names and nothing fancy to them. Most of the ingredients are cheap, even.

Are there parts of the menu that does work on QR? Sure. Mezze, almost always a hit. Some of the soups. The berries in the dessert section (even better if I could get them would cold double cream and not the sugary water).

Other places the money could be better spent? The current champagne being served is vile. It is there because the menu has to have a champagne for image/political reasons, but drinking it is awful. That is a waste of money, either chop it alltogether, or add the spend to make it enjoyable. Just having something on the menu to be able to tick a check box is just not taking your customer seriously.

-A

Last edited by ph-ndr; Jan 15, 2019 at 6:04 am Reason: Speeeeelink.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:59 pm

Sorry if I missed it but what GMT date and time is this rolling out?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
Saw a story today that this is, indeed, a new ad campaign, featuring a long-form video (they are calling it a movie). With real Hollywood actors and everything.

Yawn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.