Community
Wiki Posts
Search

State of Qatar Alcohol "Sin" Tax

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:52 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
State of Qatar Alcohol "Sin" Tax

An interesting development, which may affect QR - Sin Tax

Alcohol prices have doubled overnight due to a 100% tax.

M
Richard Bell likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
But surely in-flight drinks are normally duty-free, as are airside-sales, in shops or bars ?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Alcohol prices have doubled overnight due to a 100% tax.
In Duty-Free, as well?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
In Duty-Free, as well?
my understanding is the tax does not affect airside duty free.
That being said, a 24 case of beer at the QDC will now set a person back over $100usd. This will be interesting because the QDC is owned by Qatar Airways and has been an incredible cash cow. Imagine that an airline has the monopoly on ALL alcohol and pork products! Anyways, people will be cutting way back on their beverage purchases until some semblance of sanity returns to the powers that be. This of course will also play heavily on the hotel food services business as people start holding back from trips to the bar.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha

. This of course will also play heavily on the hotel food services business as people start holding back from trips to the bar.
Perhaps they'll start issuing PDF beer chits in the Qatar+ programme to save the catering/entertainment/bar industry as well as the hotel industry!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
A case of 24 bottles of corona was $150 Canadian equivalents New Year’s Eve

its now the new expensive champagne......
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:42 pm

I've just ordered a pint at the Oryx Rotana. It has gone up 11 riyals due to this apparently, so actually about a 20% increase on retail price (in hotels anyway). Could be worse I suppose... Drinking in the Gulf has never been a cheap hobby anyway.

Last edited by Johnnieboy; Jan 1, 2019 at 4:06 pm
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
Drinking in the Gulf has never been a cheap hobby anyway.
This must be especially true for the KSA.

Last edited by msm2000uk; Jan 2, 2019 at 2:05 am Reason: To prevent OMNI Comments
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
A case of 24 bottles of corona was $150 Canadian equivalents New Year’s Eve

its now the new expensive champagne......
It's still cheaper than drinking at a Maple Leafs game.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My understanding is that in some of the Gulf states, for a local resident to get a alcohol permit, among other requirements their income must be above some threshold and then they may purchase a limited amount of alcohol officially, with the limit set in terms of the total price. Does this price increase have an impact on locals getting/using alcohol permits?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My understanding is that in some of the Gulf states, for a local resident to get a alcohol permit, among other requirements their income must be above some threshold and then they may purchase a limited amount of alcohol officially, with the limit set in terms of the total price. Does this price increase have an impact on locals getting/using alcohol permits?
Correct. 4000 QAR minimum salary, letter from your employer, 1000 QAR deposit and not be a Muslim are the requirements to obtain an alcohol permit. Then you are allowed to purchase a certain amount. It is the same in Oman and probably other gulf states.

Last edited by msm2000uk; Jan 2, 2019 at 2:05 am
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
And you can not bring a guest into the store to “ browse” , maybe a Qatar can but as an expat just the card carrier.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Yachtman
Correct. 4000 QAR minimum salary, letter from your employer, 1000 QAR deposit and not be a muslim are the requirements to obtain an alcohol permit. Then you are allowed to purchase a certain amount. It is the same in Oman and probably other gulf states.
They reduced the minimum salary to 3000 QR a few months back. Maybe in preparation for the impending tax. I do not know how the monthly allowances are affected and if the tax counts towards that all not meaning that you can only technically buy half the amount you used to. If this was the case then they would most likely increase the allowance anyway.
Yachtman likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
I've just ordered a pint at the Oryx Rotana. It has gone up 11 riyals due to this apparently, so actually about a 20% increase on retail price (in hotels anyway). Could be worse I suppose... Drinking in the Gulf has never been a cheap hobby anyway.
That's interesting to know.
As the hotels get all their drink from QDC they too are subject to the tax but I was worried that they would also be taxed on every drink they sell. The hotels cannot afford to double their prices and the competition will be now huge. When this all dies down those hotels who added the smallest price increases will end up being the busier!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:31 pm

Digging around a bit this morning, it appears to have been applied to tobacco, energy drinks and pork as well, with sugary products hit 50%

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/01/w...x-alcohol.html

​​​

Last edited by msm2000uk; Jan 2, 2019 at 2:06 am Reason: Fix Hyperlink

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.